Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kghiker View Post
    I took a long draw on the kool aid also. Yum. Ordered Sat. evening, received initial tracking # on Mon. - was delivered Tues. AM. That was fast!

I originally was hoping to use my Klymit insulated Static 5. It would not support my legs. Tried adding Klymit Inertia XL, and still no workee. Went out the next day and found an Exped Downmat Lite 5 LW (77.5x26x2). That made all of the difference. Now I could actually lay in the thing.

My initial thought was it wasn't nearly as comfortable as my WB Ridge Runner. Something just didn't feel "right". I dinked around with it for a while, and figured I would give it a closer look the next day. I'm glad that I looked closer. On the left/green/bugnet side, the adjustable straps were transposed. The longer strap that is to be attached to the knee adjustment was attached to the shoulder adjustment, and visa versa. The other side was set up properly. I noticed it when I saw that the main strap (that the others are attached to) that runs up into the bugnet compartment, was twisted. When I got everything adjusted, things started feeling much better. Check your webbing!

This thing definitely takes some laying and playing to get used to. But it does show great potential. It is surely one of the trickier hammocks to get in and out of. It will take some practice. I worry a little about those night time jaunts into the woods. We shall see.

The other thing that seems to be a bit tough is keeping quilts, pillows, etc. in place while getting in and out. I can see a mesh interior "saddlebag" in my future. I'm sure everyone that has the Amok is dreaming up some mods. The first thing that I did was switch out the red and green carabiners to some Dutch clips.

This should make for some fun fiddling over the next few days or so. Spending the night out in the back woods tonight for the first overnight in the Amok. Should be interesting.

kg
    A little practice getting in and out...it'll get easier. But it is a different entrance than a gathered end or bridge. When the Amok is in the flat sleep position it is best to flip the footend up like in their video and hold the ridgeline to center yourself. Having the pad slightly underinflated helps this a lot. When in recline/sit mode it is easier to get in as the knee straps are tightened.
    Just toss your quilt to the side...mine gets a bit trapped in the footbox keeping it is. Also make sure that your head end the "flap" with the shockcord is staked and the flap is up. That holds my small down pillow though I do have a short shock cord on it to hold it in place.
    I really was hoping I would not like this hammock but I keep laying and sitting in it and enjoying it. Looking foeward to a longer stretch in the woods with it. Big storms coming here today so will me out there in that for tarp testing.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    I appreciate your input, Shug. It became apparent that the natural landing place for the quilt was the footbox. That shouldn't be a problem. I attached my Aeros pillow to the shock cord in the head flap, so it can't get away. Still think I will rig some light weight bag to hold other odds and ends (jackets, caps, books, whatever). I think you could attach something between the d rings and not interfere with the adjustability.

Entry and exit will get easier. Nylon hiking pants make the process a bit slippery.

I first had doubts about the size and coverage of the tarp. But the more I look at it the more confident I feel. The shape of the hammock, with its somewhat closed in sides, seems to work well with the configuration of the tarp. It also looks like you could stake the four corner tie outs a little closer to the hammock to create some widely spaced "doors".

I did sleep very well in the Amok last night. Again, very different from other hammocks. You are initially aware that you are on a pad, but when you reach a sweet spot that awareness fades away, and it is pure comfort. It is getting easier to like - a lot.

kg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kghiker View Post
    I appreciate your input, Shug. It became apparent that the natural landing place for the quilt was the footbox. That shouldn't be a problem. I attached my Aeros pillow to the shock cord in the head flap, so it can't get away. Still think I will rig some light weight bag to hold other odds and ends (jackets, caps, books, whatever). I think you could attach something between the d rings and not interfere with the adjustability.

Entry and exit will get easier. Nylon hiking pants make the process a bit slippery.

I first had doubts about the size and coverage of the tarp. But the more I look at it the more confident I feel. The shape of the hammock, with its somewhat closed in sides, seems to work well with the configuration of the tarp. It also looks like you could stake the four corner tie outs a little closer to the hammock to create some widely spaced "doors".

I did sleep very well in the Amok last night. Again, very different from other hammocks. You are initially aware that you are on a pad, but when you reach a sweet spot that awareness fades away, and it is pure comfort. It is getting easier to like - a lot.

kg
    I did get out for a night in the rain with it in the backwoods and did stay high and dry. Trying the Exped 9 in mine right now and a thicker pad seems to be really nice. Usung it defated about a third. May spend the night in the storm tonight.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Has anyone experienced the foot end of the pad rolling up while you're laying in it to the point that you really can't keep your feet apart? I'm using an REI Stratus and have tried it full, mostly full, 3/4 and half full. I also notice the stratus "crinkles" up at my ribcage on the sides. It's almost as if the Amok is a little short for that pad and a little narrow for it at the foot. I have a QCore on the way looking forward to seeing how that works.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    Has anyone experienced the foot end of the pad rolling up while you're laying in it to the point that you really can't keep your feet apart? I'm using an REI Stratus and have tried it full, mostly full, 3/4 and half full. I also notice the stratus "crinkles" up at my ribcage on the sides. It's almost as if the Amok is a little short for that pad and a little narrow for it at the foot. I have a QCore on the way looking forward to seeing how that works.
    I'm finding that the Exped 9 is working the best in the foot end.....totally flat. Thicker pad seems better. I have the Stratus too and it is thinner and is not as flat in the foot end. May go for the shorter Stratus as REI has a great exchange policy.
    But the Exped thicker pads are working best for me. Living, laying and learning.
    Storming out....in mine right now.

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    I have the same pad and it rolls a little at the foot end but didn't bother me much. I have one night in it and a few days of lounging. I'm really liking this hammock.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Did you find the LW Stratus seemed too long too? It seems like there is only an inch or 2 on each end in the Amok but seems much longer on the ground. I'm 5'11". It is fun playing with it. Gotta install higher anchor points to use it in my office though. Lows here just south of CLT are only 68* but rain is in the forecast Sunday may test then.

New gear learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I'm finding that the Exped 9 is working the best in the foot end.....totally flat. Thicker pad seems better. I have the Stratus too and it is thinner and is not as flat in the foot end. May go for the shorter Stratus as REI has a great exchange policy.
    But the Exped thicker pads are working best for me. Living, laying and learning.
    Storming out....in mine right now.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have been in the Drsumr 3 nights with my WL Exped and it's perfect for the sleeve... Nothing bunches up.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Which one? I'm guessing you reversed the LW to WL.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshower View Post
    I have been in the Drsumr 3 nights with my WL Exped and it's perfect for the sleeve... Nothing bunches up.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks, it is doable and fun, the Amok is well made for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Power View Post
    I have the same pad and it rolls a little at the foot end but didn't bother me much. I have one night in it and a few days of lounging. I'm really liking this hammock.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast