Hammock
    Warbonnet, Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrows 20*
    Suspension
    Stock
    Amok Pads... I have an Exped DownMat 9 LW (I think that's what its called) It has the Shnozzle pump bag (which works great). I think it will keep me warm down to about zero degrees Kelvin. I was originally envisioning the Amok for cold weather only. I like my Amok so much that I think I need a second pad with a much lower R value for summer use. Am I wrong and the downmat is fine? If not any suggestions on what to use?
    “Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.” Mark Twain

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    i guess it depends on what kinda temps you're sleeping in

I've got a synmat 9, which is ballpark warm like yours

I had a mid-afternoon nap in 31 degree heat a couple weeks ago (88 fahrenheit) and was left in a pool of sweat

now, it's not typically anywhere near that temp here, especially not overnight, but I've also contemplated a insulation free pad for the summer months (and like you, just a gathered end)

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I slept fine on my ExSyn9-LW last summer when we started at 90° for sleep-time...
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Isn't it sort of like a zero degree underquilt? I've used a 0 degree underquilt to about 60 degrees F. Think about your mattress at home? It's so think and insulated however you obviously use it year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Comfort in the rain

Gave the old amok a good test in a rainy drizzly camp up north this weekend. Stayed dry and warm with just a cdt and my synmat9. 20170617_192311.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
    Well it was blessed Christmas. I found the Amok under the tree! It has been rainy and foggy while visiting family, but today was a nice day. I have the Exped SynMat 9LW. First, the setup was a breeze! When I went to put in the Exped, it was a tight fit and quite the shuffle to get it all the way into the pad sleeve. I noticed that slipping it into the large pad and zipping up the sleeve led to some curl in the foot box. When trying to get into the Amok, I wasn't able to fold the pad up as in Shug's video. This leads to question 1: Did I inflate the pad too much? It was not fully inflated.

In the Amok I tried laying flat and after about 5 minutes I noticed that the curl in the footboy caused a a lift in my feet, which led to the back of my legs/knees not having support. My legs felt hyperextended and uncomfortable. Question 2: Does this happen to others? Have you found a solution?
    Pull the leg straps in a little and it will let your legs bend at the knees. That is what I do on mine.

I tried the recline position. I'm guess this takes time to figure out/coordinate the lean back and adjust knee, while leaning forward to adjust the head. When I adjusted into recline (after some struggle), the knees would not drop. This again made me question if the pad was overinflated. Question 3: It's really question 1 again, is it overinflated?
    Could be. Takes some practice. Yes...harder to do with the Exped SynMat 9LW.

I appreciate your help everyone. Your wisdom is much appreciated!
    Hey all,
    I posted (page 40+) last year about those issues I had with the mat caving in under the knees. Despite this, It was still the best sleep I ever had in a hammock, Draumr Rocks for (short) side sleepers

I am preparing for a three week hike in north east Quebec, got the draumr out, the synmat7UL and downmat9 inflated to check if everything was OK, installed and again... caving under my knees. Last year solution was to de-inflate the mat, however doing so was making the footbox as a taco, not super comfy.
    Come back to this thread, looks at an answer (get some tension on the foot straps as it raises the knee part). Got in the garden, try the trick and... VOILÀ!

The best just turned perfect!!!! Even the stomach position is now comfy with this! I used the synmat7 almot fully inflated and the Downmat9 at 70/80%.
    This two inches of tension on the leg straps is exactly what I was missing!!!!

I did some celebratory dancing, shouting "THANKS SHUG" a couple times!

Can't wait to get on the trail!

(Hey, thanks Shug, not only your videos have taught me a LOT, but even as post-education service, you still rock!).

Hugs from Canada friends!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orph30 View Post
    Hey all,
    I posted (page 40+) last year about those issues I had with the mat caving in under the knees. Despite this, It was still the best sleep I ever had in a hammock, Draumr Rocks for (short) side sleepers

I am preparing for a three week hike in north east Quebec, got the draumr out, the synmat7UL and downmat9 inflated to check if everything was OK, installed and again... caving under my knees. Last year solution was to de-inflate the mat, however doing so was making the footbox as a taco, not super comfy.
    Come back to this thread, looks at an answer (get some tension on the foot straps as it raises the knee part). Got in the garden, try the trick and... VOILÀ!

The best just turned perfect!!!! Even the stomach position is now comfy with this! I used the synmat7 almot fully inflated and the Downmat9 at 70/80%.
    This two inches of tension on the leg straps is exactly what I was missing!!!!

I did some celebratory dancing, shouting "THANKS SHUG" a couple times!

Can't wait to get on the trail!

(Hey, thanks Shug, not only your videos have taught me a LOT, but even as post-education service, you still rock!).

Hugs from Canada friends!
    Salut.......makes me happy when folks find the spot.
    Shug
    Shug's Swag Shop

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

My YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Orph30 View Post

I like my synmat9 as full as I can possibly get it, and then I pull the knee straps in about 1/2 way, and it's a golden fit (For me)

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between the original Amok and the 3.0? apologies if it's been covered, there are a lot of pages to go through here.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    I did post an exchange with Jonas in this thread. Look back around oct-nov '16...

As I recall, basically: cord instead of strap ridgeline/ improved the chair mode somewhat/ slightly larger footbox/ colors

Oh, yeah... The "new" AMOKS are still called the 3.0. There were just minor changes within the 3.0 line [sold since summer '15 when this thread started] The 2.0 was before that. Never seen a 1.0.
    Last edited by Flash Grundelore; 07-12-2017 at 07:55.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/