Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    FWIW The original Hennessy bottom entry did not have velcro. The tension created by the sleeper kept the slot closed. Velcro was added after a lot of pundits whined about the potential problems of having the slot open. I really like that better as it is easier to open. Velcro and zippers also add failure modes I don't need.
    Like when you have to pee and just getting your shoes back on is near the breaking point. I think my bladder is out to get me sometimes. For the record, I got started hammock camping back in the late 70's using just plain old nylon hammocks. I know I made a post with one that I still have in the original packaging and the WalMart price sticker (remember those) on it. Not saying I am a pioneer or anything, but like it was said earlier it's going to be hard to put dates/names to some of what you are asking about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    My first introduction to hammocks were DD hammocks. Mine was a DD travel hammock, I bought it 2006. It was the first year they made that. I had to order it from Britain. Thge stitching on it (the bug net) was missed. I contacted them, with an offer to send it back in exchange for one with the correct stitching, but, they said it cost too much, and simply refunded my money. I used that one for about a year.
    I then went with an HH Asym about 2007 or so, as it was complete. The bottom entry was novel. I ended up getting the complete under insulation kit with it, which made getting into the hammock with that setup, well, difficult.
    Enter 2QZQ. He began modding HH hammocks with zips, offering several different options. To my knowledge, he was the first to offer this. I quickly jumped on this, as it solved my, and others, issues. HH has since made this an option, then made it an entire model line. I like to think 2QZQ was the pioneer for that .
    Then, about 2009 I was introduced to a Warbonnet Blackbird, and I was truly hooked. Brandon was just starting out, and it was the "in" thing to own. He went through some growing pains-largely because of this community (it was he and his family making these), but in the end, WELL worth it. I got one of his first models, have since sold it-but now have a bridge hammock. Brandon incorporated a LOT of features found on other hammocks, innovated some cool features, and is now the hammock to beat for most people. I do believe he innovated the ridgeline (or, if not, he was the first to explain the use of it, etc), the footbox, the buckle system for tree straps, a shelf. I'm not sure if he was the first to innovate a zipper bug net that can be moved out of the way (not removed), but, if not, he was close.
    Wasn't Brandon/WB delayed on the start of his company by ridge line patent issues with HH, which had RLs for a while when WB arrived in, what, 07?

Here are a few 1sts as I remember(subject to correction from all you folks):
    1:1st short UQ I ever heard of: the spectacular Climashield ( with removable/addable layers ) Yeti style torso length UQ. Maybe around 07 or 08. Tested by Cannibal in his Dad's backyard in a big Denver snowstorm with no tarp! Snow drifts piled up under the hammock in contact with the UQ in one or 2 spots. Somewhere in single digits I believe. Plenty warm. What a product, I got the last one ever made and still use it.

2: 1st ever (commercial anyway) differential cut UQs: debatable I suppose. In fact, I remember it being debated at the time. But I'll just call it a tie between #1 from above and the JRB MWs. Actually, it might be a 3 way tie(just not sure) with the other being the Speer(Youngblood design) SnugFit. It was a big year for hammock insulation, all around 07-08 I think.

3: 1st ever (commercial? camping?) bridge hammock: JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock! I got maybe the 6th(?) one ever made, did not like it and returned it, had 2nd thoughts and got another which then became one of my all time fav hammocks.

4: The MollyMacPack by MacIntosh(sp?). Maybe 08-09?

5: The infamous HH Super Shelter: Taco/Garlington Insulator/soft shaped foam pad/sil nylon shell all in one, custom fit to the HH. 2006? Still use mine with great success from time to time. In fact, despite all of the really high quality down gear I own, I just happened to have set my personal low in one of these. single digits, plus a 14F night with no tarp in high winds.

6: The incredible Speer Pea Pod. I got my 927 FP model in 07, I don't know how many year earlier he started making this design. Several at least, I feel sure.

That's all I've got for right now.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-20-2015 at 23:22.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I think you may find that asking who thought of some of these ideas first is like asking who invented the wheel. Take for instance running suspension through sewn channels. While we may think someone in the last 15 years came up with that, I'm pretty sure an idea that simple probably has been done way before we were ever born. I have been shown some pictures of guys in Vietnam with their hammocks which are not the traditional jungle hammock you can buy at surplus. They looked suspiciously like drawn channels. IF you can find a pic it is a green open top hammock.
    Rock, those Vietnam open hammocks were most likely Army Parachutes shaped like a cross, we bought these in 1968 from the local Army/Navy Surplus Store. Those were my first non-Myan hammocks. We cut off two of the sides of the cross, and had a green parachute hammock. A few of the guys who came back from tours in Vietnam mentioned these to us.

Go to time 4:40 on the following video to see if this looks the same material and color as the pictures you mentioned.

Realistically, hammocks have been evolving for about 1,000 years that we can go back to, modern materials are just that, so the military parachute material was probably the birth of the modern trend in materials.

Now we have eVENT, Argon, Spectra, Dyneema and a plethoria of alpha-numeric acronyms for suspensions.

My point being, is that we stand on the shoulders of those who came before us. I am guessing that the advent of the ARPANET in the 60's had more to do with the advent of collaboration on projects than many would care to admit.

...and from the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) comes this image showing how Sailors tucked in to slumber,

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 08-21-2015 at 02:42.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Nice history, I did a little googling and found this picture:

which looks about like what I've been shown in the past. I'll keep looking.

Last edited by SGT Rock; 08-21-2015 at 06:23.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

M1966 jungle hammock

NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Images
    Those pics bring back some memories, well enough of this for a bit...did not mean to hijack the thread

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789