Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

JRB DriDucks Poncho Weathershield on WBBB

I'm looking for user feedback from WBBB owners who have tried the JRB DriDucks Poncho Weathershield. Despite searching through the forum, there's not much feedback that I found.

So, who's tried this on a Blackbird? What did you like? What would you change? What about fit over/around the footbox?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the DD poncho on my Blackbird. I find it to be very effective in blocking wind and boosting the temperature. I used it on the Northern hang last weekend. Went up to Jay Cooke for an overnighter yesterday and I decided to leave the DD off to compare. It wasn't quite as cold this weekend but honestly I actually didn't feel as warm though without it. I find it makes a difference using the DD. It does reach out far enough to cover the foot box on BB and has drawstrings on both ends so you can cinch it up at each end as much as you want. I usually cinch it up almost all the way at each end.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    I use the DD poncho on my Blackbird. I find it to be very effective in blocking wind and boosting the temperature. I used it on the Northern hang last weekend. Went up to Jay Cooke for an overnighter yesterday and I decided to leave the DD off to compare. It wasn't quite as cold this weekend but honestly I actually didn't feel as warm though without it. I find it makes a difference using the DD. It does reach out far enough to cover the foot box on BB and has drawstrings on both ends so you can cinch it up at each end as much as you want. I usually cinch it up almost all the way at each end.
    Thanks for the feedback, Pizza! Anyone else?
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, Pizza! Anyone else?
    I've slept one night in my BB with a DriDuck poncho...
    Fit overall was fine...I don't tend to overthink the footbox area so I can't say if it fit well (other experience with the footbox says you'd need to add additional tie points to snug the poncho around the footbox)
    the poncho fit over insulation well enough. Did a fine job of blocking the wind.
    I no longer use a poncho or my BB in colder temps hence why I no longer use it.
    If your in the market for a DD poncho, I might sell you mine...PM if interested
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I modded a noname poncho a few years ago to use as a weathershield. work great. i am sure the DD one will work just as well. I do have a DD poncho, and the only gripe I have is it doesn't fit as well over my pack. So as a poncho, i am not a fan.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    (other experience with the footbox says you'd need to add additional tie points to snug the poncho around the footbox)
    Good point, there are a couple grosgrain loops along one side of the DD poncho that I take a mini s-biner or a small piece of line and tie to my Yeti suspension to hold the poncho up a bit higher at the footbox. Works good. Might even be nice to add a couple more grosgrain loops to the poncho in other select spots along the sides to snug it up a little better but not really necessary that I have found anyway.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    I used a Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho at the northern hang. It's 54 x 94, urathane coated nylon, heavier duty than the DD, and fits well over the backpack. I did add shock cord and cord locks to all 4 sides. Will have it at the winter symposium if you'd like to see Beep.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    I used a Outdoor Products Backpacker Poncho at the northern hang. It's 54 x 94, urathane coated nylon, heavier duty than the DD, and fits well over the backpack. I did add shock cord and cord locks to all 4 sides. Will have it at the winter symposium if you'd like to see Beep.
    Hmm...I have an ancient PU coated nylon "backpackers" poncho in my excess gear shelf. Though it's at least 30 years old, it still acts like new (except for the smell). I suppose I could mod the edges without much difficulty, though the PU coated nylon and/or a sylnylon poncho (have one o'those, too) wouldn't breath at all.

One of the things that appealed to me about the DriDucks poncho was its breathability. I'm concerned about moisture buildup using any non-breathable outer weathershield type layer. I suspect that in really cold conditions (below 20 degrees F.), there'll be freezing condensation/frost on any outer layer (breathable or not), and I don't want to get my down UQ seriously wet under extreme cold conditions. A vapor barrier type inner shield between the hammock and the insulation would likely create condensation issues inside the hammock with potential wetting of my down sleeping bag. I've had first hand experience with fleece insulation frozen solid to my breathable nylon outer wind layer clothing, so dealing with moisture effectively to minimize its effect on my gear while staying warm is what I am looking for.

I'm toying with maybe a DIY solution using Momentum (though it'll probably cost more than any DriDucks solution).
    Last edited by beep; 10-18-2009 at 20:09.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Al three nights at the Northern Hang hit the 20,s and I didn't have any condensation. I was using a synthetic sleepingbag as an UQ and had it loosely hung so there was air circulation.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Beep .... i have used one on the BB with great success. Covered the footbox fine. Personally, I did not like the bulk of it and have gone back to my DWR Home-brew weathershield. They both do the job....
    I would not hesitate to use the DD again.
    Shug of the Shield
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast