Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    while a lot of good things can be said about the hennessy for starters, i myself just jumped right in and bough a BB. havent looked back since, why bother getting something you know isn't going to make you happy in the long run. get the BB and if hammocking doesn't work out for you then just resell it online here at the forum for not much of a loss. there is no sense in getting something you know you will have to tweak to make you happy. just buy something you know will get the job done and do so for years to come.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    The expedition hammock from http://www.mosquitohammock.com doesn't come with a tarp. It's the jungle version that you are thinking of. Another reason to consider any of the hammocks from that site is the free worldwide shipping.

Also with all of the modding off HH that seems to be going on (zipper mod, suspension, different tarp), I'm confused why anyone would bother with that? For the same money or less you could get a more complete hammock and tarp setup from one of the many hammock makers here.

Cheers

Brian
    whoops. You're right. Meant the jungle, the longer of the two. I think the expedition would be too short for comfort (for me- I like 3m hammocks)

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Pads are not as much fun in the HH as they are in something with two layers.

The HH system is cheaper than Warbonnet because the HH comes with a tarp. That makes it tempting. Do realize, though, that a lot of people on this board who use HH hammocks end up buying a separate tarp anyway.
    this is very true...the stock tarp is ok for shade on a warm summers night but in driving rain or snow you are better off with a bigger tarp

the HH is a nice hammock and i love mine ...if you get one i would say get the 2QZQ zipper mod...mine is going out in Nov. that way you get the best of all worlds

best thing i could tell you is find a forum memeber that lives close to you with both and ask to try both out...most ppl on this site are really cool

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Cape
    Insulation
    Wal-Mart pad
    Suspension
    Tree huggers
    Images
    If you want to get in cheap to see how you like it and you meet the height and weight requirements of a HH Backpacker Ultralight, get a HH Scout (under $100). My wife is susceptible to sea sickness and wasn't sure she could tolerate sleeping in a hammock so she bought the scout which she used for a few trips. She loved it and upgraded to a Hyperlight.

If you like the scout, you can upgrade later to a lighter or bigger HH or Warbonnet. I only have experience with the HH line. I find the bottom entry a great innovation, offering stability, privacy and automatic bug protection, but others don't care for it for various reasons. The overall assessment: Hennessy has the lightest, albeit more spartan offering, Warbonnets offer some nice convenience features for a little more weight.

I'm old. I wear knee braces. I count every ounce, especially on hikes over 50 miles. I figure if I can sleep through the night in the Hennessy, it's good enough.

Regarding tarps. I have the stock HH tarp. My wife wanted more protection so she got a Hex which is MUCH bigger. Neither of us has ever gotten wet despite camping in heavy downpour on numerous occasions. Prudence is in order. Wind is your enemy. Stay off the ridges and other sites adjacent to large open areas where the wind can build up. There's nothing quite as cozy as sitting on your hammock (the best camp chair ever) drinking hot coffee and watching the rain run off your tarp.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 10-19-2009 at 09:07.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    To me, the main argument for buying a henessey hammock is you can drive to an REI, pick up the hammock, and if you don't like it you can return it, even if it takes you a year to decide to return it, they will still take it back.

The main argument for buying a warbonnet is... well, there are a LOT of main arguments for buying the Blackbird. They aren't so popular without good reason.

The ease of using a pad is certainly way at the top of that list, though - pads are cheap, and you probably already have one or two from your tent camping days. I used pads exclusively, for hammocking down to the low 20's, until a few weeks ago. They are easy and effective in a Blackbird.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    To me, the main argument for buying a henessey hammock is you can drive to an REI, pick up the hammock, and if you don't like it you can return it, even if it takes you a year to decide to return it, they will still take it back.
    I have never asked this of Brandon, but I would wager (based on his customer service) that he would also allow you to return a hammock if you didn't like it. Frankly I have never heard of anyone not liking the BlackBird.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'm sure Brandon would take a return in a reasonable time period, but REI will take returns of even heavily used gear in completely unreasonable time periods. They have the best return policy of any company I've ever dealt with. It's pretty much the only thing that remains from the years where they were a true co-op. Even if you have absolutely no business returning a piece of gear, if you obviously grossly abused it, you can still probably get REI to take it back. Now, I'm not advocating taking advantage of that policy to rip off the company, but it's a very nice security blanket to have in the back of your mind when buying expensive gear.

Images
    i do offer a money back garantee. if you don't like it, send it back. you're only out the shipping. i haven't had to set a time frame yet, i've just been telling people "a reasonable amount of time"

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    I'll be honest, I'm sure I would love the BB but for the price for now I'm more inclined to getting a HH. If i can when I have enough money I may return it and buy a BB. It all depends on how much I use it and like it. I am looking for a simple asym hammock that is around the $100 dollar range and I thought the HH is perfect for that. I will have to experiment with the hammock. I'll try to go to a store and try one out again. Just one more question: Is the HH asym more roomy or the BB?
    Peace -Peanutdude

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    Is the HH asym more roomy or the BB?
    BB without even a fight.

I don't think it's a bad idea to start with what you can easily find and return. However, if you're anything like many of us here the idea of returning a hammock will grow more and more sour as time goes on. You'll need hammocks for friends to try, ya know?
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast