GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images

Smile Is Hennessy the best choice for a Beginner?

I've gone tent camping quite a bit using my brother's equipment. I saved up enough money to buy a new pack, sleeping back, winter coat, and a hammock. I have stayed in a Hennessy hammock once but not over night and found that it is comfortable. I'm looking at getting the Expedition Asym but I wanted to know if that was the best choice for a beginner with a budget around $130 for a hammock.
    Thank you for any help or opinions!

I'd say yes, I'd reccomend the Backpacker Ultralite over the Expedition for hiking. Two of them just sold on this board for under your budget price. They turn up on ebay occasionally but you see more Expeditions there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I like my HH but have a few small complaints related to the bottom entry. Nothing deal-breaking, just annoying. If I were you I would budget an extra ~$50 and get the 2Q/ZQ zipper mod.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    I like my HH but have a few small complaints related to the bottom entry. Nothing deal-breaking, just annoying. If I were you I would budget an extra ~$50 and get the 2Q/ZQ zipper mod.
    My first hammock was an HH. I frankly think that if your going to buy a hammock and put in the Zipper mod (which I did do) then you should instead buy a Warbonnet Blackbird for the same money. Frankly I believe you will "outgrow" the HH fast and the BB is a long term solution for the same money.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think the HH is a good choice for a new set up b/c it has everything included. Well I guess it doesn't have a pad or top quilt, but I mean it has a tarp and very usable suspension. Not that you won't be changing it out in the future, however a very good out of the box complete set up. If you are under 200 pounds and not more than 6' the ulba is much lighter and more compact.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    As much as I like my HH, the Blackbird has one distinct advantage if you are planning cold weather camping. A double layer is easier to use a pad in. The HH does not come in a double layer, at least not on their website. Don't get me wrong, the HH is a fine hammock and if you don't want to use a pad the Super Shelter is an excellent bargain for under insulation compared to down underquilts. But on a tight budget, a double layer hammock is simply superior when it comes to using pads for warmth.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    besides the double bottom alot of my customers consider the side zip entry, the storage shelf, footbox, and choice of suspension as desireable features too.

the blackbirds do come with a tarp if you want (several sizes for 100$ w/bb purchase), the only difference is you can buy the hammock without one if you want as well. the avail tarps are sil rather then 1.9pu-coated, and you have the option of choosing which size you want from med 10.5'x8 to large 11x10.5

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I don't think it is right for beginniners for one reason: it's not priced like a beginner's hammock. A beginner needs to get hammock experience without spending a lot, so that the second hammock can be the right choice.

+1 on budgeting the 2Q/ZQ bugnet mod if you get a HH.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    GT Ultra Light Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps&Cord Combo
    Images
    Thanks guys. I have a lot to take into consideration. I may be inching towards the BB now but I really feel that I will not do more than 3 season camping. I hope to in the future but with a limited student's budget I'll probably have to stick with the Hennessy even though the zipper mod seems pretty practical and cool.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti Under Quilt
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanutdude View Post
    Thanks guys. I have a lot to take into consideration. I may be inching towards the BB now but I really feel that I will not do more than 3 season camping. I hope to in the future but with a limited student's budget I'll probably have to stick with the Hennessy even though the zipper mod seems pretty practical and cool.
    If you intend to camp 3 season then please consider the BB. Fall and Spring can really get chilly at night and many folks buy a underquilt to help. With a BB you can get away with a cheap pad from Wally World and save many dollars. I must say the BB is a MUCH better choice, and this is a guy who owns both.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast