Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Fantastic and well done! I love the advancement for a much easier stow. That was always an issue and why I've gone to a zippered net on the Bonefire hammocks. For true UL with some added convenience, I like it.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Topping this old thread to ask a few more questions, after having constructed my own bugnet in this style.

1. Do the edges of no-see-um bug netting need to be hemmed, or melted, to keep from fraying? I used Nano NoSeeUm from Dutch, and did not hem the open end edges. (It looks fine after one use but I'm thinking long-term.)

2. Did you, hipbone, or anyone else who has made one of these, have a problem with the open end coming up over the hammock? Last night (first try) my head end sometimes poked out from under the net, as I shifted around and got diagonal. Most likely this is because 1) the CRL it was attached to was shifted about an inch to one side of the tree strap, away from the side where I typically lay my head, and 2) I didn't tighten the shock cord enough. After looking at it more closely in the light of day I adjusted both things, laid down, and it seemed more secure. But I began to wonder about attaching a thin strap or something to secure the open end once in the hammock.

3. How wide is yours? Early vague plans called for folding over the 54" wide netting, but I started off following the Fronkey instructions -- cutting a piece twice as long and folding lengthwise -- and didn't realize I'd screwed up until I'd already sewed the first (very long) top seam. But I think it turned out for the best... made it about 60" wide, and I wouldn't want it to be any more narrow.

Overall I liked it. The fabric is wonderfully light and silky, and seemed not too fragile, despite getting caught up in briar bushes. Next I need to construct the bishop bag so that the poor bugnet is not flopping all over the ground as I try to set up. (Or at least wait to drink that celebratory beer until after the hammock is good to go...)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Looks very cool!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hipbone, I saw your setup at last year's Grayson Highlands hang and I've been thinking of if ever since. I'm working on a Robic hammock and this bug net would be a perfect match. Would you be willing to share your plans / pattern / sketches? Or we could talk about it some more at this year's Grayson's hang if you attend...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Here's a cleaner version of my back-of-envelope plans for what I did:
    bugnet plans.jpg

My method was kind of a hybrid of the Fronkey style net and GoatBone's net in this thread. I also referred to these plans by Knotty for a basic diagram.

Originally I was thinking I'd do a Fronkey style, so bought 7 yards of NanoSeeUm, in order to fold it end-to-end and sew one long side together as a starting point. But then I decided I wanted a more narrow (shorter ridgeline-to-ground) net and so was going to just cut a 3-yard piece and fold it over lengthwise. The fabric comes 54" wide, so that would be just enough. But I lost track of this fact when I finally went to make the thing, and measured out a full 218" (6+ yards) and sewed it together before I remembered. I ended up having to make a loooong cut to get it to the width I wanted. (This video would have helped a lot: "Cutting a LOT of fabric" from Camping With Hammocks YouTube.) However -- I'm glad it went that way, because I like having a 30" height (60" width side-to-side) rather than the ~25" I would have ended up with. (My original bugnet, made out of old sheer curtains, was 82" wide, 41" high from ridgeline to the ground...and it did drag on the ground sometimes. Way too much fabric.)

I sewed a double line along the top (long) edge and the closed end for extra security, though the NanoSeeUm seems fairly sturdy for how light it is. The bottom edge channel is just a 3/4"-wide hem, open at the ends for shock cord to go through. Then there's another short channel at the top of the open end for a cord to secure it once the bugnet is pulled over the hammock. I screwed up and tied a typical closed loop with a cord lock here; GoatBone's design leaves the cord open with a loop on the end, so you don't have to feed your hammock strap through it. Will fix that for next time.

A note on figuring the length: Fronkey's instructions explain this; it's based on your ridgeline, with some extra inches of wiggle room. A quick and dirty measurement of my typical ridgeline showed about 104". This seems kinda long, especially considering that my hammock is only a nine-footer. But I seem to get the best hang with not too much sag, otherwise my feet flop out. After studying others' setups, I think this is because my hammock is not very wide, only 52". I can still get a comfortably diagonal lay, just not very diagonal. This also probably contributed to the head end hammock edge dipping below the bugnet edge -- a few more inches of hammock width and this would not be a problem. The moral of the story is that my next project obviously needs to be a hammock!
    Last edited by KBr00ks; 07-04-2016 at 21:29. Reason: corrected plans

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Here are some photos of my "GoatBone style" bugnet.

The whole enchilada, shown here with rolled-up tarp also attached to the continuous ridgeline:
    bugnet_v2.jpg

The bottom with shock cord (obviously need to trim some off, it's almost comically long):
    drawcord.jpg

Here is the closed end:
    closed_end.jpg
    You can probably guess already why this is not ideal...

And here is the open end, with my incorrectly tied shock cord closure (needs to be an open line that can be closed around the end of the hammock once deployed, rather than a closed loop -- as-is, I have to detach the hammock suspension and feed it through):
    open_end.jpg

Obviously I did not make the closed end opening wide enough. It was so small it was tough to feed the hammock's CL through to attach to my tree strap. In fact, I'm thinking that this style of bugnet may not work for my setup, given that I'm using a CRL... unless the CRL is set precisely next to the hammock ends, there's going to be a gap. As things stand I stressed the tiny closed end opening getting into/out of the hammock. In fact I'm impressed the no-see-um fabric didn't tear!

I could make the opening wider, and then maybe add a little flap of No-see-um to the inside, or a "ruffle" to the outside... or go to a structural ridgeline plus separate lines on each end of the tarp. I may end up doing that anyway, as my next project will be a hammock longer and wider than what I've got, so I may need the aid of an SRL for easy setup. Also...obviously...this bugnet may not fit a longer/wider hammock. Ha!

In any case, the view from inside was still pretty sweet:
    inside_view.jpg

Images
    OK, I'm a bit hard of thinking this morning... You are going to have to explain to me what the CRL is for!
    Is is just for the bugnet? Surely your hammock's SRL will do the same job?

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Well, *sigh* I'm now wondering what the CRL is for, too...

Currently no SRL on my hammock. When I started out, my bugnet was a free-floating "curtain" style (in fact made out of old curtains), so the Dutch CRL with bling worked perfectly to hang both the bugnet and tarp. I like having the easy tarp centering ability of a CRL. But with this bugnet being more fitted, obviously it's a problem.

I am skeptical of having both a CRL and a SRL. But I guess some people do that...?

I'll have to see, once I make a hammock, how the hang is without an SRL... I may decide it's necessary. Right now it seems like an added complication I haven't had a use for, being generally able to get a good "hangle" without it.

Late last night I was wondering about simply having both ends of the bugnet open (not sewed), and keeping a shock cord around the bottom to hold against the hammock... would give at least a few inches of leeway for the height of the CRL over the hammock. I could see wanting to use a tarp but not too close, if it's rainy but warm for instance.

Images
    I put Velcro down (half of) the end seams, makes it easy to slide net over hammock and quilts as needed.

As for Tarp CRLs, I have gone full circle, trying all the variations over the last two years, but have gone back to simple end tie-outs now.
    Thoroughly recommend a SRL tho'. Makes for a consistent hangle everytime... faff reduction measure!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast