Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies

Quilt set recommendation for XLC

All,

I will be ordering a new XLC (my first non-DIY hammock) in the next few days. I am looking for specific recommendations that meet the following criteria.

1.) I am 6'4" 250 lbs so XL matters.
    2.) I am a warm sleeper, typically require a little less insulation than the 'rating'.
    3.) Money is a secondary consideration.
    4.) I want 3 season as it is currently very rare that I camp when it is REALLY cold.
    5.) I want a matching set, ideally with multicam outer and coyote brown inner on the UQ and Blaze Orange inner on the top quilt.
    6.) I want a snap footbox, I understand the logic of a sewn footbox and after evaluating how I will use it, snap is what I need.
    7.) I am pretty sure I want a full length UQ but I might get swayed on that to 3/4 with a good argument from an experienced person.
    8.) Bulk is an issue so I am only considering down.
    9.) I am not in a massive hurry so if someone does custom, the added lead time is totally acceptable.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    You might want to contact v_allen he doe a custom work for a reasonable price and all the paticuler specs. But if you want it from a known established quilt maker I'd go with underground quilts. Great service and products and have the combos your looking for. I've found with the xlc a 3/4 uq works much better, as the cord goes over footbox and doesn't slip as much. Also with a full uq alot more pressure on feet..underground 1 u it's also have wider uq as standard then others. A plus for us big guys. Good luck!
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I kind of expected to spark more conversation given the popularity of the XLC.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
    I kind of expected to spark more conversation given the popularity of the XLC.
    I'm not a camo guy but I do have a couple of thoughts. I'm guessing the XLC will be camo based on your initial post. Pretty sure Brandon's Yeti would match up. I just ordered one in black and, yes, it's a 3/4. I went for it based on so much I've read here. Lots of folks seem to like how well it pairs up with the BB. Not sure why the inside color would matter for an UQ as it's going to be up against the bottom of the hammock anyway. I'm guessing you'll get a lot of feedback about 3/4 vs full.

Not sure what it takes to get the TQ to "match", but HG and UGQ do so much custom work that I'm betting you can get what you want. Pretty sure I've seen the color combo you want. Not sure if the print is the same on the different types of fabric that you'll have.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-18-2015 at 09:17.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    I'm actually ordering the hammock in solid brown but I like the multicam and wanted some of it in my st up. Do people struggle with cold spots with a3/4 quilt?

The Orange is for signaling in case of an emergency

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How about woodland camo...?....http://www.hammockgear.com/incubator-20/ and http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/
    Get a pad to slip into the footbox of your sleeping bag/TQ and your good to go. I use 3/4 UQs almost exclusivly and never suffer.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Thanks Shug, very helpful.

I'm looking at the Burrow 20 myself. I'm going to stick my neck out again: I was wrong about length on an UQ the other day, but I think the HG 3/4 length one is the Phoenix, priced like Brandon's Yeti. So that definitely could be a contender to get that matching "outfit". All this stuff is SOOOOO nicely made.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB 3S Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The warbonnet yeti of course works fine with the XLC. May not be most optimally priced for you but I like it. I haven't slept with it down to 20 yet, this is my first summer having it I know that in conditions above 65 i typically am too hot with it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Soon to be DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went with the Incubator 20+1 and Burrow 0 for my XLC...the burrow is a long and wide so I can cover my head and super tuck it on the sides...and I am a side sleeper so the wide is a must to keep knees/butt covered...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast