Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member Buckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Hammock
    AHE 11' DL
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    11

    Cheap backyard hammock stand (based off the Handy Hammock)

    I got a wild hair in me yesterday evening and went to Home Depot to make a hammock stand. It's based off the idea of how the Handy Hammock works. Cost me a whopping $30. 2x galvanized steel posts (chain link fencing top bar), 2x rail ends, and 100 ft of paracord.

    I'm just starting to research this hobby and the first thing that pops up is that you should test out your equipment in your backyard. Especially if you are noob. Since all the trees in my yard are young, I needed a way to play around with my setup. Nothing was really measured out, just eyeballed it all.

    Future improvements:
    Cut down the posts even further (needed a step stool to get my truckers knot tied on the ridgeline support)
    Buy some new cord since I needed to tie some pieces together to get the length I needed

    It worked fine and held up to all my twisting and turning last night (I lasted till 1am before I headed back indoors, I need a longer hammock!)

    IMG_20150816_203302573.jpg

  2. #2
    New Member jeepinjeepin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    ENO Double nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Posts
    19
    Cool! What did you use for the anchors? Is there a "best" angle to set the poles? I would guess halfway between vertical and 45 degrees would be best. Around 70 degrees? Is that right?

  3. #3
    New Member Buckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Hammock
    AHE 11' DL
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
    Cool! What did you use for the anchors? Is there a "best" angle to set the poles? I would guess halfway between vertical and 45 degrees would be best. Around 70 degrees? Is that right?
    The cord is staked into the ground with some cheapo plastic stakes I had laying around. The poles are just jammed into the ground to the point that the ends get a good bite of dirt. I ballparked a 60 degree angle off the ground. I should measure to see how close I came to that.

    And yes, my grass looks bad. Hot summer and neglect resulted in this. I have a plan next year.

  4. #4
    New Member jeepinjeepin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    ENO Double nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckee View Post
    The cord is staked into the ground with some cheapo plastic stakes I had laying around. The poles are just jammed into the ground to the point that the ends get a good bite of dirt. I ballparked a 60 degree angle off the ground. I should measure to see how close I came to that.

    And yes, my grass looks bad. Hot summer and neglect resulted in this. I have a plan next year.
    Ok, sounds good. I know about the grass situation. The heat has not been kind to mine this year...or any year past. NC weather is rough on non-native grasses. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.

    But, enough about grass, I need to do this. It would be nice to find heavy aluminum tubes with a cone shaped endcap.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    8,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckee View Post
    ...Cut down the posts even further (needed a step stool to get my truckers knot tied on the ridgeline support)...
    Yes, the poles need to be shorter so that you can get a 30 hang angle.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Felton, DE
    Hammock
    DD Frontline XL
    Tarp
    DD 4x4
    Insulation
    UQ, reflectix, MSS
    Suspension
    tow straps
    Posts
    47
    Have you considered making one out of treated lumber? There are a couple people who did this on the forums, and if you mount it on wheels it is a bit more manageable for getting the grass mowed. Looks like a good solid design, and you don't need to use a bunch of guy lines like you got there.

    It tends to look something like this, though people modify the design to better accommodate camping hammocks and tarps. FK3CVEWG6MPGON0.LARGE.jpg

    I would recommend making the main posts at about a 70 degree angle instead of the 45 degree angle they have in the picture, as such a steep angle is not necessary. Not straight up and down, but angled out enough for added strength. They also should be taller so you can get a good 30 degree hang and have enough post left to mount your tarp on a ridge line above.
    Last edited by Snuggly_Jason; 08-17-2015 at 18:48.

  7. #7
    New Member Buckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Hammock
    AHE 11' DL
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggly_Jason View Post
    Have you considered making one out of treated lumber?
    I did but the posts are smaller and easier to store in the garage; plus they will last longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggly_Jason View Post
    It tends to look something like this, though people modify the design to better accommodate camping hammocks and tarps.
    Those are very nice but take up a lot of space. I wanted something I could cram in the corner next to the ladder.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggly_Jason View Post
    I would recommend making the main posts at about a 70 degree angle instead of the 45 degree angle they have in the picture, as such a steep angle is not necessary. Not straight up and down, but angled out enough for added strength. They also should be taller so you can get a good 30 degree hang and have enough post left to mount your tarp on a ridge line above.
    I agree the angle of the posts could be changed (less of an angle to reduce the chance of the bottom slipping out). The length of the posts is more of a convenience when putting to it together rather than hang angle. I'm guessing most users would use ridgeline to guarantee their hang angle.

    A side perk is that once it is all put up for the first time, you don't need to do it again. Just pop the stakes, wrap them up on each side, and zip the two poles together.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Floridahanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Volusia, FL
    Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Posts
    4,164
    Images
    10
    That's a good job at a single post each side hang. I agree that the post needs to be shorter. Also, if you have a SRL on the hammock, it will help you to install the post in the right spot. The Handy Hammock has a line from the foot of post to other post to always have the same distance. There are many YouTube vids with these types of stands, even light enough for hiking for some. Again, good job.

    The wood stands with the support in the middle are a bit dangerous if the hammock or suspension fails. I would not like to land on the wood with my back. The TDS has eliminated the wood on the bottom by putting in a top rail to hang the hammock from.

    Check out TDS(Turtle Dog Stand) in multiple threads. This will also allow you to hang anywhere in your yard or campgrounds with out the use of guy lines.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

    My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    473
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckee View Post
    Those are very nice but take up a lot of space. I wanted something I could cram in the corner next to the ladder.
    I made a metal pole turtledog set of tripods, they work great and store in the corner of the garage next to my toolbox. They really don't take up much space at all and no extra lines to keep them setup. I'm using a fence top pole for the RL pole, I haven't cut that down yet but others have made multiple sections that just swag together.

    Not sure how to post links yet but I'm sure you can find it.

  10. #10
    New Member Buckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Hammock
    AHE 11' DL
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Rekoob View Post
    I made a metal pole turtledog set of tripods, they work great and store in the corner of the garage next to my toolbox. They really don't take up much space at all and no extra lines to keep them setup. I'm using a fence top pole for the RL pole, I haven't cut that down yet but others have made multiple sections that just swag together.
    Yes one of those would work as well. Basically, I just replaced the stability poles with rope to reduce cost. I'm assuming the RL top pole is unnecessary since the tripods will stand on their own.

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 29
      Last Post: 10-20-2017, 18:43
    2. Handy Hammock - The Ultralight Hammock Stand
      By Jason Andrews in forum Other Vendors and Services
      Replies: 204
      Last Post: 08-29-2015, 05:23
    3. Cheap backyard hammock stand
      By Sirenobie in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-20-2015, 09:57
    4. Handy Hammock Stand
      By PinkSwinger in forum Archived WTB
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 01-04-2015, 16:03
    5. WTB: Handy Hammock Stand
      By bradray in forum Archived WTB
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 12-30-2013, 23:53

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •