SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Talking Incoming! Just ordered the DD Superlight Jungle hammock directly from the manufacturers site...

...and it was already shipped today.

Reasons for testing this hammock.

1. I like my Switchback, and hope this one has a similar lay, but with more options in usage.

2. I like a hammock in which I can sleep any direction I choose to, it is also easier to hang it when there is no need to pick a direction. (Clark's Mark2 does not suit me for this reason)

3. I like a hammock which can be opened from any direction, no need to go around hammock to take gear out.

4. I want a hammock which I can use on ground and for example as a bug bivy when needed.

5. I like the idea to use small tarp for essential rain protection similar as the AlpineHammock, but with truly breathable material.(I like to see open sky and just close the view if it starts raining during night - I hope it is possible to do from inside with this hammock by rigging the tarp almost ready beforehand.)

6. Sometimes there is no room for real tarp, this hammock will fit almost anywhere.

7. I'm lazy and like the idea there is no need to peg down the tarp.

8. Tarp lines are in my way when I move around the hammock - not with this hammock! (I can leave the hammock and the tarp hanged in my back yard and it does not cause problems with for example the gardening)

9. I like the idea to just use the naked hammock in some situations.

10. I like the suspension system - easy, light and small in pack.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the rain tarp and spreader poles without the mosquito net?

Maybe those tensioning ropes and non structural ridgeline are enough to keep poles at the right position without netting and pole channels?

(Mosquito netting is a quite heavy component (380 g) and if it is no-bugs-season it seems stupid to keep it with the hammock only because of the tarp use.)
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-18-2015 at 14:07.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    It is very quiet in this forum. I still haven't found the answer to my question about usability of the canopy tarp without the insect netting. I did send a question to the DD Hammocks today - I hope they will answer soon. It is funny how the modularity is advertised in every Youtube video made about this hammock and the older version, but nobody has tested if one can use the tarp without the netting.

Well, I hope we soon will found out one way or another...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    I did got the answer:

"Without being suspended by the loops in the net, the poles will just sit in the gold eyelets on the side straps of the hammock - and they will fall down.

However if you attach some string or our elastic cord to the middle of the pole, and then tie it onto the end of your hammock (be sure to let the poles tip towards the middle slightly), it will hold the poles up! You can then fit your canopy over the top. Just be aware that there is still nothing to stop the poles from falling backwards - this is why you let them tip forwards a bit before tying them.

I hope this makes sense... give it a try, I hope it holds up!

Best regards,"

Personally I will also ad a ridgeline cord to stop poles from falling "backwards". We will see how this vill work after my hammock arrives.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-20-2015 at 06:32.

Images
    The bug net does hold the poles up, so without you will have to setup some kind of ridgeline affair. But, if you unzip the bugnet all the way on one side, you can push it right up and over, out of the way; for an uninterrupted view.
    The tarp is a pretty minimalist affair, I wouldn't rely on it in proper rain, especially if there was any kind of wind involved. Mine gets more use as an underlayer; easy to slide a pad in. And, if you are going to ground, you will need another tarp (or ground sheet) anyway. Don't underestimate having somewhere dry to store your stuff/cook/etc.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    The bug net does hold the poles up, so without you will have to setup some kind of ridgeline affair. But, if you unzip the bugnet all the way on one side, you can push it right up and over, out of the way; for an uninterrupted view.
    The tarp is a pretty minimalist affair, I wouldn't rely on it in proper rain, especially if there was any kind of wind involved. Mine gets more use as an underlayer; easy to slide a pad in. And, if you are going to ground, you will need another tarp (or ground sheet) anyway. Don't underestimate having somewhere dry to store your stuff/cook/etc.
    Good to know, thanks!

I hope I could do the same with tarp as You are doing with the bug net. And only deploy the tarp if there is some minor rain during night. For me the reason to leave the bug net home is the weight and extra work when opening and closing it when hopping in hammock.

On the other hand I have noticed that netting is also good for keeping pad an sleeping bag inside hammock, they have tendency to fall out at some point when sitting on hammock edge. And netting also keeps some warmth inside by slowing down wind a bit. And because of these two things netting is useful even during no-bug season.

One reason for me to wondering this is the fact that when DD is marketing "Totally Modular" hammock it is a bit weird not to design the gear so that using the modularity fully is possible without any modifications to the gear.
    Last edited by voivalin; 08-20-2015 at 15:35.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    Got it yesterday. First night was a success. I will write a review at some point...

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    After four nights of excellent sleep, I must say I'm very pleased with the hammock.

But real review will follow after using it bit more. After very heavy rain (but no wind) during one night I did got my shirt sleeves wet, but it did not even wake me up. And because I use Thermarest Xtherm pad my back was dry, and because my sleeping bag is synthetic there was no problems with moisture. And hammock and sleeping bag dried up during daytime without any intervention. But I will order the second canopy tarp at some point for really bad weather and soon coming colder season.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images
    I had success with the "tarp over hammock without the netting" -version. It is actually a quite good mod. Works for no-bug season and probably is better at keeping the hammock dry during rain. But it will not handle the snow, because snow would probably fly in.

In this sense the extra canopy for protecting the bottom of the hammock from rain is not needed. If it is bug time it is warm and little water does not matter. And if there is no bugs and no netting then the hammock will stay dryer because hammock hangs further away from the tarp.

Actually the extra bottom layer is needed only for ground use, and not necessary even for that because there must be pad anyway and that can protect the hammock fabric if pad is left outside from the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD TreeRunner, DD FL
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    DD UQ HG Econ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    V
    looking forward to review and PICTURES!

campcrafter , a DD devotee
    Campcrafter

I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains.
    - John Muir

• + New Posts