Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

worste case

My hiking partner and myself have been working together on the Memphis Fire Dept for almost 18 years . We have not seen anything that we have not been able weather yet.
    We have been soaking wet and froze in the single digits working fires and car wrecks. In ditches looking for drowned kids in 100 degrees with cotton mouth snakes and snowing freezing rain. (not on the same date) We have spent 20 plus days sleeping on tail gates, parking lots and airforce runways in 100 degree temps. Those days are for the FEMA Rescue team chasing huricanes and working rescues such as Katrina, Gustav, Ike, Francis etc. Now that I have seen the light no more tail gates HAMMOCK goes everytime now.
    All that being said the hiking is relative. No one is dying, no one is loosing anything, and no one is getting hurt (well maybe a little hurt). So wet cold weather was kinda bad but looking back no bigggie at all just lots of fun.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Taking newbies out is a special commitment. Usually I am taking them out because they are newbies and I am seasoned. I know ahead of time they will be dependent on me for many things, so I don't set high expectations. Short hikes, rest often only hike as fast as the slowest person in the group etc. Plan around good weather, or make sure that they know it is going to be a wet, cold, hot (whatever), miserable trip. Generally I want newbies to have a pleasant time on their first trip, so they don't get dissuaded on camping/hiking.

It's like taking a bunch of <10 year old kids fishing. I don't take a pole for me, I am there for them to fish, not me.

I reserve long mile hog trips for my solo outings or someone who I am comfortable with and isn't a whiner. I'm there to hike, not babysit.

The newbie outings do make for the best stories tho.

Sounds like ya'll did pretty well in some ugly weather BEAS, 7hanks for the report.

If you could have taken one more piece of gear, or different piece of gear what would it have been? If you could have done one thing differently (route planning etc) what would it have been?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

gear change

As far as the gear change it is done, ditched the poncho and purchased the Mountain Hardware rain jacket. The poncho kept my pak dry and me dry for the most part during the heavy rains but it was a real pain when the rain let up for a short time and I really wanted just a pak cover and no jacket. It did vent well but it is a trade off I guess.
    My wife made me a just jeffs pak cover and it doubles as a gear hammock.I have used it once that way it worked great.
    Other than that all my gear has functioned well over the last 3 years.
    The route is set since we are sectioning the A.T. so can't change that one. I really am looking forward to the next section. This year we are planning in early May. Maybe we can miss some of the thru hikers in Spring. We may even try again in the fall also to log some extra miles we missed this past hike.

"Due to budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnell has been shut off."
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

I always enjoy hearing trail reports.

I for one have aborted before due to relentless rains and once this past spring due to a tick invasion in the middle of the night,woke-up to find 7 ticks already burrowed in and several others crawling but this was in a tent.

Yes...cold rain is by far the worst and the best clothing money can buy can't keep it out for extended periods.

I actually enjoy backpacking in the snow but non stop rains certainly put a damper on things.

You seem to keep a good additude,thats important when the weather refuses to cooperate.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    this has been such a pleasure to read,,, thanks for the report,,,,
    I'm new to the hammock hangin and i cant wait to get in my wbbb,,

this forum has been so inspiring,,, thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12