Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Kevlar

A few tarp questions from someone new to this whole thing

Hey everyone,

I’ve been hiking for a while but only day hikes and recently decided to get into camping so that I can do longer hikes. Based on a little research I decided to pick hammock camping rather than tent camping. My first overnight will be the weekend of the 29.

My current set up (ordered so far) is:
    Hammock: Grand Trunk Double
    Suspension: Atlas Straps and some light weight carabineers
    Bug net: Dutchware Fronkey Style bugnet

I haven’t picked a tarp yet and was hoping I could ask some questions and get some helps from the folks here on Hammock Forums. Thanks

Question 1: If the weather says it’s not going to rain, how dumb would it be to just go out with no tarp? I’m in the northeast, so the weatherman saying it’s not going to rain here doesn’t carry the same ironclad guarantee it would in an arid environment.

Question 2: If I did go out with no tarp and it did rain, how hosed would I be? Is it actually dangerous, safe but miserable, or just mildly uncomfortable?

Question 3 (the biggest one): What would be a good tarp to get if I get one before this trip?
    I don’t actually know what I’m doing, so any option that requires careful selection of sites or aligning proper wind angles is not a good choice for me. Along the same line, I’d rather get something that’s simpler with less set up if possible.
    Rather than getting something cheap now and needing up upgrade later. I’d rather just get something good enough that I don’t need to upgrade. This goes for weight as well, better to get something light enough now than to get something heavy and need to buy a second one later.
    Last consideration is that if I take a tarp with me on this trip it needs to be here by the 28th, so anything that is 100% custom and needs a week to build is probably out for next weekend.
    Thanks in advance for the help everyone

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I live in Louisiana, so I never, ever go out without a tarp. I do set it up "porch" style fairly often, but want it set up almost every night. As far as what to buy, I have a Hennessy Hex, but I mostly truck camp with Scouts so weight is not a real big deal for me.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    Living now in TN but being raised in the north east I would highly recommend that you use a tarp not just for rain but also heavy dew. Moister can cause problems with staying warm and dry and not knowing if you have a goose down sleeping bag it can take the warm factor out greatly. You can either use a kelty Noah tarp or for really cheap a Home Depo blue tarp or even Harbor Freight (cheapest). The Noah tarp is a backpacker tarp and light weight for price in comparison to the blue plastic tarp.

Hammock
    ENO Double nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I would not consider going out without some sort of tarp/fly. Hypothermia could be a real danger lying out all night in wet clothes. If weight is the concern and comfort isn't you might could get away with a large emergency blanket. If cost is the concern, go with a 10x10 blue tarp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a series of tarp tutorials that may give you some insight....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Tarp is your shelter so best to have one ready to deploy.
    Carry forth and have fun on the Hammock Quest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think you should always bring a tarp and choose to set it up or not depending on the conditions. Going out into the woods overnight without some kind of weather protection is not advisable. As mentioned, hypothermia is a real possibility even in mild conditions nevermind being wet. Many people use tarp skins so their tarps are stowed in good weather and ready for quick deployment if the weather turns.

A cheap blue tarp while heavy would be sufficient. I'd also focus on some kind of top and bottom insulation. There is a lot of convective heat loss in a hammock. A top quillt can be improvised by using a sleeping bag and a sleeping pad would also work for underneath you. These are not ideal solutions for total comfort but it'll get you out there. Hammock camping has a learning curve so be patient.

AHE has some intro kits if you have the cash
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...head-Equipment
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-19-2015 at 20:39.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Wtmurray,

1. How far from your car, shelter or someone willing to share their tent will you be? There is nothing wrong with falling asleep with nothing but stars above but, cold and wet is not an enjoyable or healthy way to spend a night. Have a bail-out plan should the weather turn.

2. Do you have a tent of your own that you can bring along? As it sounds like you will not have much time to practice close to home (your back yard for example), having a "I can't get comfortable in a hammock" bail-out plan would be reasonable. This could also serve as the "No Tarp and it is starting to rain" bail-out as well.

3. What is your plan for insulation? While down is popular as the lightest, warmest option, it also would be most adversely effected if allowed to get wet. Pad, synthetic sleeping bag would allow you to retain some comfort even if temporarily caught in a downpour, again assuming you have some bailout plan.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtmurray View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Howdy!

Question 1: If the weather says it’s not going to rain, how dumb would it be to just go out with no tarp?
    Very dumb. At the very least, always have rain gear with you. Even if it is just a couple of heavy duty garbage bags. 55 gallon drum liners that are 3 mil or more thick are a good choice as emergency backup gear.

When not expecting rain I pitch my tarp then roll it up around itself (still hanging above the hammock). Many people use "snakeskins" rather than rolling it. Get the great view and only takes a few seconds to repitch it since I've already solved any issues. It can be quite the adventure pitching a tarp in a new location in the dark in the cold pouring rain. Don't ask how I know that!!

Question 2: If I did go out with no tarp and it did rain, how hosed would I be? Is it actually dangerous, safe but miserable, or just mildly uncomfortable?
    Life threateningly dangerous. Hypothermia is the #1 killer in the backcountry. Most people get into trouble between 40F-50F, mainly because the unskilled are not expecting it at those temps. This book will teach you all you need to know about staying alive in the outdoors.

Question 3 (the biggest one): What would be a good tarp to get if I get one before this trip?
    The Warbonnet SuperFly ($140, 2 week lead time plus shipping time) is the standard all other tarps are measured against. The Chinook 12'x9'6" ($38, not always in stock) is similar to the SuperFly. Not quite as nice, not quite as light... but $100 less and two less weeks of waiting more than covers those issues in my mind.

Since you are in a rush (which is usually the first step in getting into a serious situation in the backcountry by the way.) a cheap poly tarp that is between 8'x10' and 12'x12' would be the least expensive way to get started.

I don’t actually know what I’m doing, so any option that requires careful selection of sites or aligning proper wind angles is not a good choice for me. Along the same line, I’d rather get something that’s simpler with less set up if possible.
    All gear requires experience to be able to use it well. Start out in the backyard, then move to parks, etc. The more times and places you set it up, the easier it becomes. Having experienced persons show you the ropes greatly reduces your learning time, yet many have learned on their own.

Rather than getting something cheap now and needing to upgrade later.
    Smart. "Buy once, Cry once."

I would suggest you think through many scenarios and have several backup plans figured out. When things are going very wrong your mind will not be working correctly. Having multiple backup plans helps with that.

A great place to learn about hammocking is this thread.

Happy Trails!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    You can get a chinook 12 from Amazon....$58 and if you are a prime member it will be there in 2 days. Also, take a look at the Noah's 12. It's bigger, just a bit pricier but is also available on Amazon prime. I have both and while they are not super lightweight choices for "gram weenies"'they are both durable, waterproof and will last you a long time.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Jacksrbetter.com usually has high quality lighter tarps in stock - silnylon or silpoly is good. Cuben is lighter but you may not have enough time for one of those to arrive.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast