Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Whatever you do,try not to do what I have done which is to buy one or more of everything until you find the one that's right for you!(note:I noticed that Shug also has more than one alky stove)

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Arrowhead Equipment has put together starter packages.

Hammock
    GoatBone DIY 1.1
    Tarp
    Sheltowee 8x10
    Insulation
    HG/enLightened
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Ain't no learning....just doing. Like Ralph Stanley says.....sing like you talk.
    This is one of my favorite weekend long jams.
    Shug

Another question for Shug (not to hijack the thread)... You gonna make it to the bluegrass festival in Raleigh NC this year? ☺

http://www.wideopenbluegrass.com/

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
    Another question for Shug (not to hijack the thread)... You gonna make it to the bluegrass festival in Raleigh NC this year? ☺

http://www.wideopenbluegrass.com/
    No Sir....I will be in the woods with my buddy Hickery on those dates.
    Pick on.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Tramos and 5 tango have done well here, I would add to make sure your selections fit your style. if you will back pack look for lighter options if the money is there and if not get the lightest you can. I have used the imusa 12cm for many years but my first cook pot was a coffee can with a piece of stainless steel tig wire for a handle, it worked fine for me, just heavy.
    if at all possible, under quilt, if hiking top quilt as well. as for a pack I love my granite gear AC Blaze 60, it carries up to 30 pounds well for me when I have to and is still comfy. if you have a lot of high volume gear or carry gear for others as I do it can be a challenge to load but if I only have to pack for me I can get a winter kit and 6 days of food in it with a little room to spare.

I will echo 5 tango one more time because I think it is very good advice, try your best to buy once. I have a room lined with shelves full of stuff that I will probably never use again and despite my best intentions have not gone through to donate. a lot of it was because I just flat out couldn't put out the dough it took for lighter gear and some of it was lack of knowledge of what was available, that's where Shug's vdeos came in, and some of it was coming up sleeping on a blanket on the ground and just kinda expecting to be uncomfortable.
    this doesn't mean buy expensive, I agree the best pots are the Imusa 12 cm and the stanco grease pots, I have tried a lot of stoves but keep coming back to one of my home made mini V-8 stoves. I buy almost all my clothes from the sales racks at wally world or sports authority, buy winter clothes in spring and summer clothes in early fall. check rei and campmores clearance page as well as others. if your lucky you may find a deal on gear trade as well. I like both the sawyer squeeze and sawyer mini, both do a good job are light and easy to maintain. I also cook in and eat out of the bag, mainly because I hate taking the time to wash dishes but also because it got soap and a pad out of my kit and saves me from having to boil water to wash with, I am usually in river back waters and I don't trust it to be safe if not treated or boiled. beyond that I like the KISS rule, water, shelter, food, after that its all down hill.

MattK has a good gear list in excel that he would probably be glad to share with you, it will also help keep your weight down if that is an issue for you.

good luck on your adventures, I look forward to reading about them.

creek.
    Last edited by old creek; 08-20-2015 at 08:10.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I now refer to the woods as " the piney woods"! Your videos are cool Shug. You have inspired me to take up more winter camping. Thanks for your contributions to society!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

John Muir

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 30 UQ and 40 TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tramos55 View Post
    Someone turned me on to Potassium tablets this year and I have had no cramps or knee pains for the first time in a long time.
    Great idea for someone who gets cramps on the trail. HOWEVER, if you do this, work up to a proper dose slowly. Potassium overdose can be fatal and even for someone with normal kidney function it can happen if you take too big of a dose too quickly. Just remember more isn't always better.
    Just an out of shape middle aged guy who loves doing outdoor things with his great kids...

www.hikerspantry.weebly.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti/ 0* NF
    Suspension
    Adj Webbing
    Images
    I don't camp much anymore but I still watch all his videos!

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Thanks,Old Creek, for the nod.It would be embarrassing if people here,(or my wife) knew exactly how much money I have
    "invested" in hiking/camping gear.A question for Tramos 55 here,I dunked my WBBB 1.1 DL and my HH Asym Ex.(two of the 4 hammocks I own since the others are for winter use) but the smell of the permethrin is lingering to the extent I don't want to put it in the pack with my food stuffs.Any advice on that?I mixed 8 oz of Martins 10% with 5 liters of water.It has always worked just fine on my clothes but my hammocks sorta "reek" of it about now.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Thanks,Old Creek, for the nod.It would be embarrassing if people here,(or my wife) knew exactly how much money I have
    "invested" in hiking/camping gear.A question for Tramos 55 here,I dunked my WBBB 1.1 DL and my HH Asym Ex.(two of the 4 hammocks I own since the others are for winter use) but the smell of the permethrin is lingering to the extent I don't want to put it in the pack with my food stuffs.Any advice on that?I mixed 8 oz of Martins 10% with 5 liters of water.It has always worked just fine on my clothes but my hammocks sorta "reek" of it about now.
    I always used sports wash on my hunting clothes and was real happy with it. I don't put anything on my hammocks so I cant say if it would work or not but if it doesn't it would be a good choice for cleaning the poypro type materials as well so it wouldn't go to waste.

creek.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast