Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Which tarp for Ridgerunner

Hello all,
    I'm about to purchase my first hammock, Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Primary use in BWCA in the three tolerable seasons.
    Question: Which tarp to use? Is the cloudburst acceptable in stormy weather?

I saw some good modifications people are doing with the superfly and 12 ft tent poles for a great porch mode. Can a similar method be used on the starburst?

Thank you in advance.

Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I had a SF which had plenty of room for the RR. I used it a few times. I just sold it, and purchased a Cloudburst. I can tell you from experience that the SF will work perfectly fine. I changed, because I have had the SF for years, just purchased the WBRR coming from a WBBB that I owned for years. I pretty much swapped my entire setup this year

Hammock
    WB RIDGERUNNER
    Tarp
    SF
    Insulation
    20 Burrow/lynx uq
    Suspension
    std WB strapes
    I have a superfly/ridgerunner also. Curious to know why you are switching to cloudburst?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    The CB and the SF have the same dimensions. The SF has cat cut sides vs straight sides on the CB. I don't really see a problem with getting a tight pitch with straight sides but that is supposed to be one advantage of cat cuts. The side panel tieouts on the CB are positioned to line up with the RR spreader bars but I use the SF and the tie outs on it are close enough to work just fine. I think the CB may not have guy line attachment points on the sides that allow it to be hung as a hexagon with the leftover end fabric available to be used as doors. I may be wrong about that. If the CB cannot be hung as a hex then I would choose the SF. If it can, it's really a choice between cat cut sides and straight sides.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 08-21-2015 at 08:23. Reason: that stupid auto correct!
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gtosam View Post
    I have a superfly/ridgerunner also. Curious to know why you are switching to cloudburst?
    honestly, just wanted something different. They are essentially the same thing. Minus the doors. The doors, for me, were rarely used. I figure that if I want the doors, I can eventually order them. Other than that, theres no difference.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm new to hammock ing.... I'll be canoeing for several weeks at a time in the boundary waters. Will the doors be needed? Not sure if they are vital or if I can go without them and pay attention to how I align the tarp with the wind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    You can probably do without the doors in most any rainstorm. I think they would come in most handy in wintery, cold weather.
    You did mention a pole mod in your original post. The edge tieouts on the SF make great places to anchor your poles in full pole configuration.
    More tieouts are always good.
    Here's a couple different pole mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    They are essentially the same thing. Minus the doors..... Other than that, theres no difference.
    Actually I think this is a common misconception about these two wonderful tarps and maybe warbonnet doesn't explain it well enough. As previously mentioned The cat cuts, doors, and side panel pullouts are all different. So essentially it's a totally different tarp.

As far as doors go, even though they can't close all the way with the ridge runner, I'd rather have them than not, they're a small weight penalty for insurance against blowing precipitation, plus in fair weather you can only deploy one set of doors for a nice little gear vestibule.
    Last edited by JoshuaTrees; 08-21-2015 at 13:10.
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

You can also get the Cloudburst and add the Door Kit to it. That way you can choose if you want to bring the doors or not, according to the wx for each trip.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTrees View Post
    Actually I think this is a common misconception about these two wonderful tarps and maybe warbonnet doesn't explain it well enough. As previously mentioned The cat cuts, doors, and side panel pullouts are all different. So essentially it's a totally different tarp.

As far as doors go, even though they can't close all the way with the ridge runner, I'd rather have them than not, they're a small weight penalty for insurance against blowing precipitation, plus in fair weather you can only deploy on set of doors for a nice little gear vestibule.
    Well, in fairness, I have just gone off what I have read. I dont physically have the CB in hand yet .
    I had the pole mod on my other tarp, and will be doing it to this one as well. I dont know if I will need longer poles or not. As to blowing precipitation, I suppose that could be an issue. I have pitched it in porch mode before, with no issues with that, but I have had that tarp so long, I dont recall what its like without them. I used the doors exclusively in the winter though-any other time of the year, I usually pitched porch mode.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast