Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images

Sheltowee Boone 20 Quick Review

I don't usually post on here about gear. Everything is pretty well covered on here by those far more entertaining and well versed than I. However today I received a new hammock that was a little out of the box for me and I was so "turned on" I had to post a quick review. I had finally gathered up the funds for a 20 degree setup and had naturally turned to my standard, Hammock Gear to purchase. While I was picking through the different flavors I happened to be browsing here at the same time when I noticed a mention for Sheltowee Hammocks and Alex's Boone integrated under quilt system. This suddenly peaked my interest as I am pretty lazy in the back country. I do not like fiddling on the trail. Love getting my rig dialed and practicing with different tarp setups at home. In the field I want my rig up and I want it up fast. I center almost everything around if I have to setup in the rain first and comfort second. Fortunately most hammock gear works for both. After a lot of searching, researching, review reading and talking with Alex I ordered a Boone 20, crossing my fingers it would be my thing. Let me say right here Alex was wonderful to work with and immensely helpful. I have a custom made bug net with a floor for my dog that is based on a ten foot WB Traveler and a 100" ridgeline. He had no problem modding the Boone to these dimensions and worked with me on a couple of other mods. After a little more than a week, it arrived today.

This is my thing. For my personal hike, this was heaven. Whoopie hook suspension up on the tree, attach from the provided bishop bag, pull her out, throw the top quilt in (which was the usual completely awesome HG Burrow 20). Done. It took minutes and I was ready to "sleep". The half an hour I spent in it was just wonderful. Tried every lay I like and every resting position was pure bliss. Being an 80 degree I started to overheat almost immediately, the heat coming back at me was amazing. We were having a fairly windy day here in Northern Wisconsin, up to 30 mph gust, and with the extra built in material at the head and foot end is indeed the perfect wind block for any gaps. I couldn't feel the wind under me at all. The whole setup just blew me away and I realized this WAS the system I had been looking for. The integrated under quilt just spoke to me. I can't wait to get her into the field. Salute to Alex.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I agree Alex is great to work with, and I also love his hammock, It's my most comfortable so far. I had my 40* overfilled to make it a 30*. The over cover is a nice touch, gotta order one of his bugnets it's half the weight of my fronkey style.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I don't usually post on here about gear. Everything is pretty well covered on here by those far more entertaining and well versed than I. However today I received a new hammock that was a little out of the box for me and I was so "turned on" I had to post a quick review...
    Thanks for posting your initial impressions! It's already feeling like Fall this week here in Central KY so I'm sure cooler weather is just right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwheels View Post
    I agree Alex is great to work with, and I also love his hammock, It's my most comfortable so far. I had my 40* overfilled to make it a 30*. The over cover is a nice touch, gotta order one of his bugnets it's half the weight of my fronkey style.
    Wow, Thanks Dirtwheels! I know you've enjoyed the SLD Streamliner hammock and I'm pleased that you rate mine so comfortable! I suspect one reason you like the lay is because of the unique way I gather the ends. I hope to do a detailed post soon showing how the gather technique makes such difference.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I don't usually post on here about gear. Everything is pretty well covered on here by those far more entertaining and well versed than I. However today I received a new hammock that was a little out of the box for me and I was so "turned on" I had to post a quick review. I had finally gathered up the funds for a 20 degree setup and had naturally turned to my standard, Hammock Gear to purchase. While I was picking through the different flavors I happened to be browsing here at the same time when I noticed a mention for Sheltowee Hammocks and Alex's Boone integrated under quilt system. This suddenly peaked my interest as I am pretty lazy in the back country. I do not like fiddling on the trail. Love getting my rig dialed and practicing with different tarp setups at home. In the field I want my rig up and I want it up fast. I center almost everything around if I have to setup in the rain first and comfort second. Fortunately most hammock gear works for both. After a lot of searching, researching, review reading and talking with Alex I ordered a Boone 20, crossing my fingers it would be my thing. Let me say right here Alex was wonderful to work with and immensely helpful. I have a custom made bug net with a floor for my dog that is based on a ten foot WB Traveler and a 100" ridgeline. He had no problem modding the Boone to these dimensions and worked with me on a couple of other mods. After a little more than a week, it arrived today.

This is my thing. For my personal hike, this was heaven. Whoopie hook suspension up on the tree, attach from the provided bishop bag, pull her out, throw the top quilt in (which was the usual completely awesome HG Burrow 20). Done. It took minutes and I was ready to "sleep". The half an hour I spent in it was just wonderful. Tried every lay I like and every resting position was pure bliss. Being an 80 degree I started to overheat almost immediately, the heat coming back at me was amazing. We were having a fairly windy day here in Northern Wisconsin, up to 30 mph gust, and with the extra built in material at the head and foot end is indeed the perfect wind block for any gaps. I couldn't feel the wind under me at all. The whole setup just blew me away and I realized this WAS the system I had been looking for. The integrated under quilt just spoke to me. I can't wait to get her into the field. Salute to Alex.

Nice review, thanks for sharing.
    I have been watching out for more comments and reviews on these hammocks,, let us know how it performs for you in the field.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I like the Steamliner because it's light and compact, and gives a good nights rest. The Boone is a very comfortable hammock. I look forward to your post & looking forward to getting it out this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    Thanks for posting your initial impressions! It's already feeling like Fall this week here in Central KY so I'm sure cooler weather is just right around the corner.

Wow, Thanks Dirtwheels! I know you've enjoyed the SLD Streamliner hammock and I'm pleased that you rate mine so comfortable! I suspect one reason you like the lay is because of the unique way I gather the ends. I hope to do a detailed post soon showing how the gather technique makes such difference.
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 08-26-2015 at 15:26.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Images
    I don't usually post on here about gear. Everything is pretty well covered on here by those far more entertaining and well versed than I. However today I received a new hammock that was a little out of the box for me and I was so "turned on" I had to post a quick review.
    Nice review, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    I suspect one reason you like the lay is because of the unique way I gather the ends. I hope to do a detailed post soon showing how the gather technique makes such difference.
    Really looking forward to seeing this.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Thanks for the kudos. Will do, I hope to get out on the North Country Trail within the next couple of weeks.

• + New Posts