Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Drawstring Duffel for a Hammock Stuff sack.

I've recently seen a draw string duffle and of course being afflicted badly by a profound hammock addiction, I thought, "That would make a great stuff sack for a hammock and I could get dual use out of it as a day pack when my hammock is not in it." I got to thinking that if it were large enough, I could put my hammock, quilts and tarp in one.

I have two concerns though; firstly, I know the thin cord used as straps will dig into me, I'm wondering how badly. I wouldn't use it for multi day hikes of course, but would it be comfortable enough for an hour or two? Secondly, the one that I saw seemed flimsy, so I'm wondering if there are good brands that will hold up to the rigors of camping ? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    B
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Just my opinion....use a stuff sack to store your gear and a daypack to haul stuff around in the woods. This seems like a spot where the two pieces have nearly polar opposite requirements.

Some folks do pack their gear like you describe in their backpacks. You can use a garbage bag or other waterproof liner then stuff all your gear (even all rigged/connected) into the bottom. I know this is probably more weight efficient and probably faster. However, I'm a bit paranoid about getting all my gear soaked so I don't want all my eggs in one basket. YMMV....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Just my opinion....use a stuff sack to store your gear and a daypack to haul stuff around in the woods. This seems like a spot where the two pieces have nearly polar opposite requirements.

Some folks do pack their gear like you describe in their backpacks. You can use a garbage bag or other waterproof liner then stuff all your gear (even all rigged/connected) into the bottom. I know this is probably more weight efficient and probably faster. However, I'm a bit paranoid about getting all my gear soaked so I don't want all my eggs in one basket. YMMV....
    Good points, but once my hammock, quilts and tarp are up, I have four stuff sacks that are useless, until it's time to pack up again , plus I have to keep track of them. I'm a paddle camper so, they usually just ride around in my Duluth pack getting in the way. My Duluth pack is too large for a day pack and I like to keep it in camp protecting my clothing and other unused gear, from the weather, while I day trip but, a small regular back pack seems unnecessarily heavy with all the straps, zippers and extras for short portages of light loads of fishing gear and snacks. I think your point about waterproofing is especially poignant. Does anyone Know of a waterproof drawstring pack or a way to DIY a water proof one? I think the nature of the drawstring top would be hard to waterproof.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Ah..paddling. That kind of changes things. Maybe you could add some straps to a silnylon drybag of your choice. You should be able to re-seal the needle holes with some silicone just like seam-sealing a tarp. Just a thought.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Probably simpler than reinventing the wheel. I could do the pebble in the corner and tie the rope around it trick for the bottom corners and hope that top would suggest it's own solution.
    Last edited by Beast 71; 08-23-2015 at 20:55.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    .... Does anyone Know of a waterproof drawstring pack or a way to DIY a water proof one? I think the nature of the drawstring top would be hard to waterproof.
    Beast71- check this out-
    http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Summit-Ult...YY4YBE9NKC7XYK
    ... I saw it reviewed someplace last year on the gear site. UltraSil, and it packs down to the size of a peach. Some guy on YouTube has a video about wonking it for more comfort, too!
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts