Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Nite Ize Cam Jam

Just a quick note suggesting the use of the Cam Jam (edit: small size) for hanging a tarp and even for the tie outs. I tried them over the weekend and it is a very fast way to hang and center a tarp.

Here's the way I am using them.
    Cam Jams all stay clipped to the tarp with line in them (one at either end of the ridge and one at each of the four corner tie outs)
    Two piece ridgeline - mini biner at the end of each line. Wrap first side around tree and clip biner to the ridge D ring next to the Cam Jam, then pull line and lock. Repeat on other end. Need to center? Put a little slack in one side and relock, pull tight on other side. Done

For tie outs...each line has a bowline in the end that hooks to the stake....pull other end through the Cam Jam and lock.

Using one color line (2mm from REI) for the ridge and another (Nite Ize reflective line) for the tie outs. Makes it easy to tell which is which when deploying tarp. The Cam Jams are pretty lightweight, very fast to use and so far have not slipped on me.

The photos I took came out too dark....will try to get some more....anyway, you should get the idea. It's nothing real new, its just that the little Cam Jam thing makes it fast!
    Last edited by Campdavid; 08-24-2015 at 22:03.

Awfully heavy and heavy duty hardware and cordage for a hammock tarp...

I use then as bow and stern tie-down tensioners when I cartop canoes!

Even figure 9s would be smaller and lighter. The guy set with plastic ones on the corners(?)

Better yet, and I'll try to say it first: hardware and Zing-it or Lash-it from Dutch or one of the other vendors.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-24-2015 at 17:05.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Awfully heavy and heavy duty hardware and cordage for a hammock tarp...

I use then as bow and stern tie-down tensioners when I cartop canoes!

Even figure 9s would be smaller and lighter. The guy set with plastic ones on the corners(?)

Better yet, and I'll try to say it first: hardware and Zing-it or Lash-it from Dutch or one of the other vendors.
    I'll admit I'm no expert on light weight but did not think 5 grams was all that heavy. A mini figure 9 is 3 grams I think. There are different size Cam Jams....I am using the small with 2 mm line. Zing it is not much lighter than that is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    I'll admit I'm no expert on light weight but did not think 5 grams was all that heavy. A mini figure 9 is 3 grams I think. There are different size Cam Jams....I am using the small with 2 mm line. Zing it is not much lighter than that is it?
    I guess it truly is all relative. I use the ones that accept 2-5mm and I use 5mm tie downs (canoe).

They just seem so big, bulky, and clunky (maybe not so heavy) compared to the tiny and light ti pieces from Dutch that I've gotten used to using on my tarp and suspension. I think they're really nice for some stuff and I even have the heavy aluminum ones (XT) that I use for something else where I need the increased weight limit.

The small 9s (the plastic ones are especially light) seem to work really well with 2mm for the guylines and don't feel much over-sized. I'm using them with a heavier, bigger, non-hammock tarp. They work nicely for the cordage that is a bit too big for much of Dutch's stuff. FWIW Dutch's Fleaz are 1 gram.

I'm really not into gram counting but the higher end stuff really works and packs small. The fact that it's light is more important to some others and that's cool too.

Also, if you're going to leave the cord attached to the tarp ("Cam Jams all stay clipped to the tarp with line in them"), why not tie one end of the cord to the tarp, pass the other end (the end with the CamJam on it) around the tree, and clip to the tarp? You can skip the mini 'biner. This would be the pretty much same sort of set-up that a lot of folks use with Zing It and Fleaz/Flyz. Of course, if you choose to use the 'biner, you don't have to come all of the way back to the tarp with the attached line. You can simply clip around the line and have the cord snug up against the tree, just like using a Dutch Hook on the small cordage.

EDIT: When I wrote this, I was under the impression the CamJam that was suggested was the normal/regular one that takes 2-5mm cord. Didn't know there was a size smaller yet. I guess I've never actually seen the "small" size and I have a lot of their stuff. Can't disagree: that small one seems totally reasonable. I'd still go with the plastic nines for the guylines if the choice is to use a Nite Ize product, especially if the guylines are going to remain attached to the tarp. They come in a set with reflective cord and are sold as a "Tent Line Kit."

(Looks like the OP also clarified with an edit that it was the "small" ones and I missed/misunderstood that...)
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-26-2015 at 17:53.

I was just looking at these and thinking about using them for my underquilt suspension. 4g for the 1.8mm - 3mm size seems okay to me?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKVPXXM/...9FDNCOAO&psc=1

My thought was to use the carabiner to clip my primary suspension to the hammock suspension, and then run my secondary suspension shock cord through the cam which would allow me to vary the length on either corner (not independently, but just one longer, one shorter). TBH, it's still in the ol' noggin concept phase.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    yukon outfitters w/ net
    Tarp
    Paha Que double
    Insulation
    50 degree sleeping
    Suspension
    dutch w/ cinch
    i use the normal size one for my tarp with paracord and a loop on one end, loop around tree through the loop hook to tarp pull tight win win. but im a car camper havent backpacked since i was a scout back in the 90's / early 2000's

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hex 2.4/ SLD Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Catcut Hex
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I use small ones for my tarp. I like them.
    "Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice." Will Durant

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    They are perfect for the split ridge lines. Mine have 18 nights on them and counting.

Also I love how much the cord glows in the dark when you shine your light on it.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    They are perfect for the split ridge lines. Mine have 18 nights on them and counting.

Also I love how much the cord glows in the dark when you shine your light on it.
    The nite ize reflective cord, not the junk that comes in the package.

Please note the amended post #4.

(I'll just curl up in the corner now...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast