Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images

Berlin - Weekend 31 October

So I will be in Berlin all the week of November 2nd. I hate working with jet lag so I will look to fly in Friday morning 30 October. And I am Interested in places to hang outside of Berlin by say 2 hours or less.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Bump to this, I am looking for advice. I land in TXL on the 29th and do not have to report to work until the evening of Nov 2nd. I will have a car so driving a distance is not a huge issue. Where can I go to get a nice say 30 mile hike in, see some great German landscape NOT a caravan site. All while sleeping comfortably in my Hammock at night

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I am not entirely sure how far away it is from Berlin but I would go to the Harz mountains. Harz Mittelgebirge with it's highest peak the Brocken. Don't go to the Brocken itself though. That's extremely touristy (made up a word there ) and has some radio stuff on the top placed by the DDR.

Find a nice small town, buy a map, dump the car, wander in to the forest. The Harz has some beautiful areas and some very old towns with those buildings made of lyme and wood (Fachwerkhäuser).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    The best area around there would probably be this:
    http://www.mecklenburgische-seenplat...age/index.html
    It is the largest lakeland area in central Europe, the biggest of the lakes beeing the Müritz lake. There are plenty of hiking trails, some really beautiful sights. Keep in mind that Germany is rather densely populated, so I don't know how far away from civilisation you can truley get. But there will be some good spots.

It is probably about an hour of driving to the north west from Berlin. Apart from that, there are some larger forested areas to the north, but I don't know if they are any good. Apparently there are some pretty cool sites like an abandoned asylum or something (which is of course private property).

Now, for the legal aspects: This is my personal interpretation of the law and may not reflect the actual practice. Plus you may have some trouble delivering the message, if any official should confront you.
    (Tent)Camping is prohibited in nature reserves (and they are very quick to declare untouched nature as nature reserve) according to Sec. 23 Subsection 2 of the German Federal Nature Protection Act. Anything that destroys, damages, changes or sustainably disturbs anything is prohibited. My take on that is that if you use your hammock and adhere to LNT principles, you should be fine. I have done so several times, but nobody has ever found me hangin

Maybe some other Germans in this forum have some more advice for you???
    Enjoy your trip! Post some pictures if you end up going to the lake district.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    The Harz is a beautiful area too, but its probably about 3.5 hours to drive there from Berlin.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 ft. DL Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    @bigfanboy, I draw attention of some Berlin hangers to your post. I hope they'll respond.
    Are down under quilts made in Australia?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittagsfrost View Post
    @bigfanboy, I draw attention of some Berlin hangers to your post. I hope they'll respond.
    Great thanks,

So we have decided where we am going.

A buddy and I are going to hike just two sections of the (and I am sorry if I am getting this wrong) Malerweg in Saxon Switzerland National Park. We are going to do Stage 4 and 5, we have not decided in which direct yet, 4 to 5 or 5 to 4. We are also working on where to park our rental car safely, so if anyone has any advice for this, that would be great. We are coming in early to a work project in Berlin so we will be driving down from TXL Airport 2-3 hrs or so it looks like. We will have 3.5 days to do this small hike. Which is exactly what I am looking for, as we are going to working to get over jet lag, and I am still in bad physical shape and working on changing that.
    The plan is to camp "Boofen" or "wild" camping, which everything i read says it accepted as long as you follow "leave no trace", which is an "of course!!" for me.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I haven't been there yet, but it's supposed to be beautiful. Good choice.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    What weather should I expect in late October early November? Temp ranges?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    You should probably check for a more accurate forecast before you leave, but on average the temps in October are around 45 degrees. Since it's the end of October already, probably more around 40 degrees. At night it can go down to about 30 degrees. You may get some frost already. The weather itself can change pretty quickly around that time of the year. But for only 4 days you should be able to get a pretty accurate forecast before you leave.