Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images

REI Webbing

I just left my local REI and saw that they had rolls of all kinds of webbing in their climbing section. Has anyone used any of what they have their for wrapping around trees to hang? If, so, which did they use. Unfortunately, I was supposed to be at work while I was there and didn't have time to ask too many questions...and, of course, I should be working instead of reading Hammock Forums throughout the day. I'm sure that no one on this list does the same :^)
    Michael
    qpens

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think that's the tubular nylon webbing. It's heavy and has some stretch but it would work fine if you wanted to try it out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    I just left my local REI and saw that they had rolls of all kinds of webbing in their climbing section. Has anyone used any of what they have their for wrapping around trees to hang? If, so, which did they use.
    I didn't use webbing from REI, but I did use standard one inch polyester webbing, which I'm sure can be obtained at REI. It's worked great so far.

Unfortunately, I was supposed to be at work while I was there and didn't have time to ask too many questions...and, of course, I should be working instead of reading Hammock Forums throughout the day. I'm sure that no one on this list does the same :^)
    Michael
    qpens
    I work in a corporate data center, so technically reading this forum is 'connection verification' for work!

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have used the 1" tubular webbing from REI and it has worked fine for me. I am currently testing the 1" polyester webbing from Strapworks and it also seems to work well. There is little weight savings by using polyester over the tubular nylon. The polyester is supposed to stretch less, is less affected by abrasion, withstands exposure to UV better and will not mildew as easily. We will see. I am using it in conjunction with the ring buckle suspension that JustJeff has detailed. This suspension system coupled with the figure 9 suspension for tarps is the way to go IMHO.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=250

This picture was with the tubular nylon
    Last edited by gstepclassical; 05-17-2007 at 14:17.
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Has anyone used any of what they have their for wrapping around trees to hang? I should be working instead of reading Hammock Forums throughout the day. I'm sure that no one on this list does the same :^)
    Michael
    qpens
    1) Most of what REI sells is nylon, which would do, but it has a LOT of stretch in it. I can speak from experience on this one, if you ask anyone who saw my butt dragging the ground for a couple hours at the last SEHHA hangout, thanks to my now retired nylon ENO Slap Straps.

2) No one here does that, I'm sure.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The problem with getting webbing at most outfitters is that you're not usually sure what you're getting. The sales people seldom know the difference between different types of flat webbing, and the rolls aren't often marked. Most of what I've seen at outfitters is nylon accessory webbing, which is NOT suitable for a suspension. There's the tubular climbing stuff of course, but as someone else mentioned it's heavy and stretches a lot.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have the BlueWater 9/16'' Tubular Webbing on my son's hammock if you want to check it out when we meet up. It grips trees okay but is slippery which might be an issue if you are considering a ring buckle system (just a guess, I don't have rings). Also it's kinda heavy.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used the tubular climbing straps from REI for tree huggers...worked fine for that, but it might stretch too much for full-length straps.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Ok, this isn't at REI, but I figured I would ask on this post since it follows the idea of using webbing that is easier to get than off the internet. What about the webbing that comes with those ratchet tie downs for trailers and stuff. They are the 1" webbing that is rated for over 1000 lbs. and is very lightweight. They are also fairly cheap. Just buy a couple of them and cut to length and melt the ends. Has anyone tried this?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Ok, this isn't at REI, but I figured I would ask on this post since it follows the idea of using webbing that is easier to get than off the internet.
    How can something possibly be easier? You order while sitting comfortably in front of your computer and it is brought directly to your door without you having to do anything at all. You don't even have to put on pants if you don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    What about the webbing that comes with those ratchet tie downs for trailers and stuff. They are the 1" webbing that is rated for over 1000 lbs. and is very lightweight. They are also fairly cheap. Just buy a couple of them and cut to length and melt the ends. Has anyone tried this?
    Yes, have a look in the Ring Buckles discussion. There are a LOT of different webbing options discussed there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast