Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overquilts and underquits??

Another newbie set of questions!
    Okay I keep seeing this talk about overquilts.
    Is this basically a quilt like you would sleep with in replacement of a sleeping bag?
    Are they much more comfortable, warmer, and easier to deal with inside of the hammock?
    Do you need different ones for warmer and colder temps?
    What are good examples or simply qualities of these overquilts?

I finally figured out what an underquilt is and I also found out how much many of them cost.
    At what temps are they truly necessary?
    Does a sleeping pad not compare to the warmth that they provide?
    Any cheap alternatives?
    Possibly homemade methods?

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'd just hate to hit the ol' AT and be ill prepared.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is this basically a quilt like you would sleep with in replacement of a sleeping bag?
    Correct......
    Are they much more comfortable, warmer, and easier to deal with inside of the hammock?
    Much easier to deal with .... wamth depends on the amount and type of down or synth .... like sleeping bags ratings.. comfort is good.
    Yes ..... a 20º rated TQ will get you through a lot.
    Not compressing the down beneath you ...... lighter as there is no bottom .... easier to "tuck" around you in a hammock. Many sell them on this site ..... look under "GEAR MANUFACTURERS"

I finally figured out what an underquilt is and I also found out how much many of them cost.
    DEPENDS ON YOU BUT AT AROUND 70º
    Yes they do but not the comfort in my opinion.
    Any cheap alternatives?
    Search around .... some folks use old sleeping bags ..... "SEARCH" BUTTON. Get to know it . Love it Respect it.
    Yes ......... DIY (do it yourself) are very popular on this site.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'd just hate to hit the ol' AT and be ill prepared.
    Get a brew or a tea or a cocoa and spend some time reading on here until the late and wee hours .... you will be prepared!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by cstauder12 View Post

Any cheap alternatives?

First things first. FYI, most people refer to them as top quilts (vs. over quilts). Not really sure why, but thats the jargon I've seen most often.

For top insulation there seem to be a few approaches
    -use a sleeping bag, just like you would in a tent. not many people go this route since it can be difficult to get in & zip up a sleeping bag in a hammock.
    -use a top quilt. often it is stuffed under the sides and possibly has the foot end sewn shut to prevent drafts in the foot area. this is often referred to as the foot box
    -use a sleeping bag like a quilt. that is, have it unzipped (except perhaps at the foot end) and used more like a blanket than a sleeping bag.

So is it more comfortable, warmer, and easier to go with a top quilt? That really depends upon the two pieces of gear that you're comparing. I, personally, like the idea of a top quilt since it can be designed specifically for use in a hammock, versus modifying the intended use of a sleeping bag. And with a sleeping bag you do have to be careful of any sharp zippers. But a good sleeping bag would work just fine.

Similar to a sleeping bag, if you are doing 4 season camping, you'll likely want more than one top quilt. In the winter, a light top quilt probably won't be enough, and in the summer a heavy top quilt will weigh too much and will cause you to sweat a lot. Just light sleeping bags.

Good examples of top quilts? Jacks R Better makes some nice ones. As does Ed Speer. And you could always make one yourself. I did!

The main qualities you want to look for are the loft of the quilt (how "thick" it is), the weight, and the quality of construction. There are loft-to-temperature charts that will give you a good idea of how warm a particular quilt will be given its loft.

As for underquilts, many people get by in warmer temperatures with just a pad for bottom insulation. My personal preference is for an underquilt even in warmer temps because I find that the CCF pad that I sometimes use reduces the comfort of my hammock. How cold you can get away with just a pad will likely depend on how warm of a sleeper you are, the amount of clothing you're wearing, and to some degree the amount of top insulation you have.

If you want to go the cheaper route, you could certainly make your own quilts. Its been done and there are many GREAT resources on this site and elsewhere for how to make a quilt. And if a man with limited sewing experience such as myself can make a decent quilt, so can you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing w/ rings
    Ah! Beaten to the punch by Shug! Well played, sir.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cstauder12 View Post

Any cheap alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by jofish View Post
    Ah! Beaten to the punch by Shug! Well played, sir.
    Your info just adds to mine ....... play on!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

Down quilts, top and bottom, shug as a bug in a rug. The fatter the better. Compress to the size of a volleyball. Summertime on the AT in the south you can get by with thinner options. Spring and Fall, make 'em fat. Winter, double up.

Thanks so much guys. I think I might make an attempt to make them to be honest. I just can't see myself putting out the money for the ones on the internet. I definitely need to brush up on the jargon because it can be quite confusing when you are just now getting into hammocking haha. Anyway, I appreciate all of you guys taking your time to explain this to me.

Oh yeah, Jofish, what'd you use for the insulation in the one you made?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I discovered hammock camping about 2 minutes after I bought my expensive WM Summerlite bag in 2007. Then with the purchase of the hammock, I only had to add a cheap pad for underneath to get me started. I'm still using my Summerlite as my summer and warm shoulder season topquilt.

It was later that I bought my other winter top and bottom quilts (on sale) and all the other toys that aren't really necessary but are absolutely essential!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugfit Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I used a pad and a big agnes bag (no bottom insulation) when I first started hammocking but the pad tended to slide when I moved and it is hard to get in and out of a sleeping bag in a hammock. It will work but is kind of a pain. You can get a pad extender from Speer Hammocks (basically keeps you from getting cold spots on the sides) and that works well if you aren't a "mover" at night.

That being said, I now have an underquilt that is just heavenly. I got mine for my birthday (ain't Hooch sweet? swoon!) but would have eventually paid for one because the difference is worth the money.

I switched from a sleeping bag to a top quilt for two reasons. One is that the bag weighs about 3 lbs and the top quilt I bought weighs 22 oz. I hike and weight matters. Two, I have a friend that made it for me and gave me the friend discount (Thanks guys!).

You can live without quilts....but why would you want to?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    While this doesn't work with all hammocks, I've found success taking a rectangular down sleeping bag and sliding over the entire hammock, like a burrito. The idea was from Just Jeff's Hammock site, where he calls this method the Pull-Up Bag.

I've been able to sleep diagonally, but it really depends on the sleeping bag with this method. Using a rectangular bag really works well, rather than a mummy-style bag.

I'm using the Kelty Galatic Bag with my Grand Trunk Nano 7. It's the lightest sleep system I've ever had.

When the temperature gets below 40°F, I'll add a closed-cell foam pad cut for my torso and scored to fold in thirds (fits in the pack nicely). I also use a small square closed-cell pad for under my feet. Also, a small fleece throw on top works well when its cold (and if you cut a slice in the middle of the fleece, you can use it as a poncho liner, if you use a poncho, which can double as a tarp)!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast