Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Jones Gap State Park Oct. 16-18

Went hanging at Jones Gap State Park in the northwest corner of SC last weekend. I was planning to camp with my wife but they were calling for near freezing temps at night and as she put it, "I don't do cold". Since the campsite was paid for and being the cheapskate I am, I went anyway. For those not familiar with the park, it only has primitive, trailside camping, about 20 sites. The distance from the parking lot to the campsites is anywhere from 100 yards to 4.9 miles. Amenities include a fire ring, rocks, logs, and the Middle Saluda river for water. There is a restroom with showers in the center of the park. It's close to the parking lot. If you get a site fairly close to the parking, you can have the best of both worlds. If you don't mind making a few trips, you can bring some luxury items; real stove, small camping table, comfortable chair, small cooler, real food, and a large tarp, to name a few. You still get the solitude of being in the woods. If I stood in just the right spot in my campsite, I could just see a flicker of the campfire from the next campsite down the trail. Never heard a peep.
    They were calling for rain Friday morning ending in the afternoon, cold at night, sunny and in the 60s during the day. The only thing they got right was cold at night. I got set up by about 5:00 Friday afternoon, had supper and was waiting to a friend to drop by. He was bringing his 4 year old daughter by to enjoy "the campfire experience". It started raining when they pulled into the parking lot. We still had a great time under the tarp. Still had a fire, roasted weiners, burned marshmallows, I made coffee and baked cookies. (yes I did, white chocolate macadamia nut) coffee, cookies, campfire hoo-ee.
    It was still raining when they left and still at 4:00 the next morning. By the time I woke at 8:45, it had stopped. It was a cool but very relaxing day. Something about the sound of rushing water just a few feet from the hammock does it for me. The wife came up with one son and the dog. I made a deal with the son, I'll feed you, you build a campfire. He was ok with that. Had supper, baked more cookies, made more coffee, life is good.
    Sunday morning the temp was 39. I was very comfortably warm all night. My sleeping system is, WB Blackbird, Speer Snugfit underquilt, Therarest Z-rest pad (fold-up kind), TNF 15 degree down bag used as a top quilt and a down pillow. If you're like me and NEED a pillow, you can stop looking. PGibson at Arrowhead Equipment will fix you up. I recommend the large.
    All in all a great weekend. Weather could have been better, but I'd do it again.
    Here are a few pics, the site when I arrived and after I turned it into the "Swampfox Inn", my kitchen, my snugfit/hammock, and the river.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah .... pretty cold for SC this weekend!
    good time to get out....... thanks for the report. PANCAKES!!!!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here are my pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

• + New Posts