Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good advice, MoeTCrow, especially with respect to hydration.

We just got back from a car camp.
    I'm new to hanging, and my wife and boy still sleep in a zipper hut.
    We brought Henry with us. :yikes: We think this was his first camp out.
    He's a 50lb pit mix and IS NOT hanging with me. lol lol He got the tent.
    The first night was a gong show. But we also learned that he seemed cold.
    The second night he wore a fleece and slept way more gooder.

So with this info, I'd make sure any dog tethered outside or under a hammock
    (which is what I would do) needs to be well insulated just like their people.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    she spent half the night and in the hammock and half out. I'm good with that, but what bothers me is tracking all the dirt into the hammock. Don't have a good solution for that yet. Any tips other than banning her from the hammock?
    I taught mine that she can only come into the hammock when I give the command. Once she jumps out, I won't give the command to get back in for hours. She learned pretty quick that it is better to stay in the hammock!

Hardest part was resisting the sad puppy look! She would rest just her chin on the edge of the hammock and give me the "sad lil puppy" look while I pretended to ignore her. Every time I glanced her way the leaves would rustle with her tail wagging. Took all I had to not bust out laughing and let her in. Tough at the time but now the manners are much appreciated. Especially when getting winter bedding adjusted in the dark.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Thanks for bringing this up. I've been reluctant to commit to anything further than an overnight with our Lab. Maybe have to expand my horizons- she loves being "part of the pack" (no, that that pack- she's 60#!)

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    I have a 75lb german shepherd who is in no way going to sleep with me in the hammock. I had been working on a design with John from Bear Paw for a couple years but he couldn't quite wrap his mind around the project. Finally Fronkey fleshed out a working model and I was able to show him what I meant. My dog isn't a runner but I never slept well not knowing what animal she was going to investigate during the night. So I at least wanted something to contain her in the night. What we came up with is just an awesome piece of gear. I just want to note that while I had some CAD drawings of this a couple years ago, Fronkey was the first one to actually make a working prototype which he may patent so this design is not free for any vendor to mass produce without going through Fronkey. But again it is quite awesome.
    hammocknetThree.jpg

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Nice design. My pup is a lot smaller, so this would be overkill, but the idea is solid. I was thinking is taking a small inflatable pool donut and making a fleece top for it and a fleece tent structure over it.
    Nice work
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Thanks, aye it's a little bit of overkill even for her but I had him make it a little bigger so I could throw my pack and whatnot in the corner. It's about a pound so I thought what the hell if I'm going to carry it might as well take advantage of some dry space for gear.

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Nice design. My pup is a lot smaller, so this would be overkill, but the idea is solid. I was thinking is taking a small inflatable pool donut and making a fleece top for it and a fleece tent structure over it.
    Nice work

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Depends on which one of the "pack" is going. Lol. My 8lb chi mix believes the hammock is his and growls when his sisters come near it. But he typically just goes on kayak trips. The 40lb Chow is moody and shuffles from the ground to hammock but given her painful hip displasia, I just let her do whatever gets her comfortable. The vet just ended her long trip days so she's down to quick in and outs as the propensity for her to completely blow out a hip is high and she's been deemed ineligible for fho surgery... Sigh. End of rant.

Given how upset I was that my Annie is no longer safe for long hikes, I was given the go ahead to bring a bottle feeding puppy home from work and raise her for a trail dog. Not sure what her set up will be. Her DNA test came back Australian shepherd, lab, and great pyranese so I may have a big girl on my hands. No trips yet until mid September after her spay.

Loving all these ideas though! Very needed thread!

On the subject of running lines-this works with my horses too incase anyone was wondering. Lol. If I go hang I the paddock though, he loves to come lay his head on me in the hammock. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    We got a new puppy from a local rescue during July.
    Attachment 114846

We have not been camping yet with her. Does anyone have any tips for hammock camping with dogs?

**I do not plan on putting her in a hammock** I am just trying to figure out any tips or advice of how to secure her in the site while car camping
    What I did was: I put a run of cordage between the trees my hammock was using and then tethered my dog to that. He was able to stay under the shelter and be happy.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Fronkey was the first one to actually make a working prototype which he may patent so this design is not free for any vendor to mass produce without going through Fronkey. But again it is quite awesome.
    hammocknetThree.jpg
    Saw (or heard about??) that design in another thread a while ago and all I can say is, "That is awesome!" Really like the tub design.
    (insert pithy quote here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast