Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I think having to wait 3 days is too short of a time.
    It did seem like the same handful of people were always claiming items and no one else had a chance to claim an item.
    I would suggest that you can only claim an item every 30 days.
    That way it allows many more people enjoy the pif thread.
    Thank you for the suggestion and perhaps 3 days is not long enough since this is free..nothing expected in return. But a couple of my thoughts is perhaps 3 days is too short but 30 days might be too long. Maybe once every 7 or 14 days?

Also since no one will be tracking this via a spreadsheet, how would you suggest we implement this? This is going to be a self moderated thread so do we have any individual report it to a MOD? Call them out in the thread? What are your thoughts on this?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I like the idea of a Give it Away sub-forum. Let the giver set the terms. I suggest an I'd Like to Have section as well. I might be willing to splice up some continuous loops or a zing-it SRL if someone asked.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I like the idea of a Give it Away sub-forum. Let the giver set the terms. I suggest an I'd Like to Have section as well. I might be willing to splice up some continuous loops or a zing-it SRL if someone asked.
    Love the I'd Like to Have idea and you can bet if we implement one, I will ask for the other. thank you!
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Excellent thought but how would we implement that without tracking items? Any suggestions on that?
    Maybe when you ask for an item, in your response you include the last item you traded and to whom or if it's still unclaimed, the link..... You only really need the last one you traded in that category or above. It would have to be an honour system that you wouldn't report the same trade multiple times, but that should be easily auditable from the posts.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Maybe when you ask for an item, in your response you include the last item you traded and to whom or if it's still unclaimed, the link..... You only really need the last one you traded in that category or above. It would have to be an honour system that you wouldn't report the same trade multiple times, but that should be easily auditable from the posts.
    Good thought. What do you see happening if someone does not add the last item to their post? Remember that MODS are not going to be checking these posts so how do you think it should be handled?
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Instead of a dedicated PIF/Swap forum, it seems more logical to keep those posts in the relevant forum -- e.g., Whoopie sling offers in the Suspensions forum, Top Quilts with those posts -- since that's where interested parties will already be browsing.

Perhaps those posts could be visually called out with something like "[OFFER]" on the Subject line?

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the great site, and for all the members' generous gestures to other hangers!

Images
    I am just thinking outloud here and if I am way off base it wouldn't be the first time.

I would like to see us use the K.I.S.S. prinicipal in this Happy Trails folder.

I've been cleaning out my camping room and found several items I no longer need. I wouild just like to give them away with no strings attached.

I have an item of value that I don't really want to sell and would like to give it to a scout or a young hammock hanger so I ask for a short essay and I will choose who the winner is.

These are the types of posts I would like to see in a give away forum with just a few basic rules.
    Limit the number of items one member can take and determine what types of items are appropriate for a hammock forum.
    Self proclaimed give away forum moderators and members abusing the good nature of this forums' membership would lose all market place rights.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wenestvedt View Post
    Instead of a dedicated PIF/Swap forum, it seems more logical to keep those posts in the relevant forum -- e.g., Whoopie sling offers in the Suspensions forum, Top Quilts with those posts -- since that's where interested parties will already be browsing.

Perhaps those posts could be visually called out with something like "[OFFER]" on the Subject line?

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the great site, and for all the members' generous gestures to other hangers!
    Thank you. Your input is appreciated.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Good thought. What do you see happening if someone does not add the last item to their post? Remember that MODS are not going to be checking these posts so how do you think it should be handled?
    The person asking can post the message number on the thread where they confirm that their item was traded/sent and then the giver can do a quick check (due diligence) to confirm it themsleves. Abusers are to be shunned or even loose rights to the thread. A quick moderator check of the thread should never see a post reference number appearing twice.

To answer your question, the giver should ask for the message number before agreeing to send it.

Values of common items might be the manufacturers suggested price or less factoring inany depreciation the giver may appraise.

People may even want to bundle items to get into a higher value bracket, but the items must be sent together.

For people who just want to give away gear, that's great, this just prevents people from scooping up everything.
    Last edited by Chard; 08-28-2015 at 12:50.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I like KISS a whole lot and right now this is sort of where my thinking is going but am still looking for additional input.

Happy Trails (or whatever title we choose) Forum

Sub forum 1 Titled Give Away
    1) User posts item to give away, posts a method for selecting the winner (random number generator, write a short essay, 1st I will take it, etc), and picks a date the winner will be selected.
    2) User who posts item is responsible for getting contact information from winner and shipping item.
    3)User can but does not have to select frequency of winning by saying something like no wins in past XX days/months
    4) Item is closed after winner is announced by OP.

Sub Forum 2 Titled I Wish I Had (or something like it)

1) User posts an item they wish they had and provides any sizing or limits such as "I will supply materials to make X" but sure wish someone would make it for me.
    2) Person who would be willing to provide item to OP post in forum something like "I will do this"
    3) Item is closed so no other member will try to supply it.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast