Tension Help Needed

I'm at a loss here. I feel like I have tried everything and I can't get these stitches to come out right.

The 2nd photo is the top of the test material and those stitches look ok. The first photo shows the bottom and its a mess. I have a test section that is 2 layers of 500 Denier cordura. I started with the grey thread which is Gutterman Mara 50 and using a brand new size 18 needle. I can't get the bottom to tighten up. I have tried rows of stitching using every tension setting from 0-9 and none of them seem to make that much difference. I also tried switching to a black lighter weight Gutterman Mara 70 and that seemed slightly better, but still a mess on the bottom.

Any ideas? This is driving me nuts. I kind of had this with my last project but I thought it was because I was using a silnylon for a tarp and I hear that stuff was a pain to sew. I ended up figuring our a method that came out pretty well or that, but can't for this. I though this material was going to be easy, but this has me stumped.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440892714.561767.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maddog5150; 08-29-2015 at 19:02. Reason: edits

I think I have answered my own question. I went and did some reading and it seemed the bobbin tension was the issue. I went back and read my manual and it appears that I was not getting the thread in there properly so there was not enough tension. I think that I was not getting the thread under the tension spring. Tried a few different threads and all seems good now. Hopefully this helps someone else....

Happy sewing

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
    I think I have answered my own question. I went and did some reading and it seemed the bobbin tension was the issue. I went back and read my manual and it appears that I was not getting the thread in there properly so there was not enough tension. I think that I was not getting the thread under the tension spring. Tried a few different threads and all seems good now. Hopefully this helps someone else....

Happy sewing
    Brother machine from WalMart? I did the same thing when I first got mine after using a much older machine with a different bobbin configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by themicahmachine View Post
    Brother machine from WalMart? I did the same thing when I first got mine after using a much older machine with a different bobbin configuration.
    Brother machine from Amazon.... . Prolly is the same one!

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Here's my brother.

Was the problem how you loaded the bobbin or threaded the top?

• + New Posts