Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Beginner tarp woes :(

Hey everyone,I'm new to hanging and I'm trying to get a quick and convenient tarp setup going. I have a camping trip coming up this weekend, so I need to get all the equipment ASAP, but I don't know exactly what I need! Would love to be able to use Amazon prime if all the gear I would need is available on there. I just ordered a dutchware argon 11 ft with the ridge line, so I'm trying to figure out the whole tarp thing now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Will

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Go with a 3 meter by 3 meter tarp. I have the superlight from DD. This tarp is, as the name states, superlight but in this case 3 meter by 2.90 meter. It's more expensive than their normal tarps that are 3 x 3 and are fine to. Whatever brand you buy, go for 3 x 3 meter.

You can hang it up in a tent shape, or diamond shape, for a bit more length at the head and foot area of your hammock.

Happy camping.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBarovick View Post
    Hey everyone,I'm new to hanging and I'm trying to get a quick and convenient tarp setup going. I have a camping trip coming up this weekend, so I need to get all the equipment ASAP, but I don't know exactly what I need! Would love to be able to use Amazon prime if all the gear I would need is available on there. I just ordered a dutchware argon 11 ft with the ridge line, so I'm trying to figure out the whole tarp thing now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

Will

Jacksrbetter has tarps in stock, ready to ship but if it must be Amozon prime due to time restraints then take a look at the Kelty Noah tarps.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'd stay away from the 3 x 3 meter tarp mentioned above. That's only 9.84 feet, and really won't provide the coverage you desire unless hung in a diamond (which is not my favorite configuration due to wind-blown precipitation). It's best to get an 11 ft. tarp for an 11 ft. hammock. The HH Hex is a pretty decent tarp that you can get from Amazon Prime, if weight is no object. it's 132" long and 103" wide. You can also look at the Kelty Noah 12 x 12.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'd be tempted to add two Stingerz with Zing It or Lash It spliced to them to be able to get a tarp ridge up. You can use cheap cordage for the guylines until you figure out what you wan to do.

I think an 11' hex tarp is worth owning. Mine is sil nylon. The folks who are into UL like cuben but that depends on your needs/wants and budget.

The other thing is that a whole lot of folks favor a tarp with doors and go for the Superfly from WB, a Winter Dream from UGQ, or similar (I'm drawing a blank on the other names/vendors.) They're all great and if you're going this route, it might depend on what a vendor has in stock and how fast they can ship.

You might find a HH hex on Amazon, I don't know. Lots of people rate it as a decent tarp at a decent price with the disadvantage of being a tad heavier.

I'm sure you'll get a few more suggestions.

Take a look at WB, UGQ, HG, AHE, DH, JRB, WL, etc. (Sorry if I missed anybody obvious.)

(And like Zilla and SS posted before my fat fingers were done...)
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-30-2015 at 13:07.

Images
    Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses! I was never much of an outdoorsman, but I am becoming increasingly interested in backpacking and hammock camping. So, I'll check out the tarps suggested, but what specifically am I going to need to get a tarp up? My knot skills are also nonexistent, so any extra hardware would be helpful
    Last edited by WillBarovick; 08-30-2015 at 13:18. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by WillBarovick View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses! I was never much of an outdoorsman, but I am becoming increasingly interested in backpacking and hammock camping. So, I'll check out the tarps was never much of an outdoorsman, but I am becoming increasingly interested in backpacking and hammock camping. So, I'll check out the tarps suggested, but what specifically am I going to need to get a tarp up? My knot skills are also nonexistent, so any extra hardware would be helpful
    I don't think you'd ever regret owning the Stingerz from Dutch. Lots of choices with Fleaz, Tarpworms, Hookworms, etc. for the guyline stuff. I'd wait and think it out.

You'll need some stakes. Anything simple for starters but there sure are some nice stakes to be had. Lightweight aluminum suits a lot of us but, again, other opt for UL and go for titanium.

You might choose to use a CRL at some point. Maybe not...

I like sleeves on my tarps for deploying and packing. Others don't. Food for future thought.

OH, and look at the Ultimate Hang in both book and website forms.

One more thought: the tent line kit from Nite Ize would give you inexpensive tie-outs with reflective cord and you can get this on Amazon. (and another) Probably decent stakes like MSR Mini Groudhogs too.
    Last edited by TominMN; 08-30-2015 at 13:19.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dutch does ship quickly - a continuous ridgeline of Zing-It 1.75 mm with soft shackles, a Dutch Hook, and Wasp is hours away!

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    So how does this shopping cart sound;
    1) Dutch CRL with the wasp
    2) Four titanium stakes(? How many stakes do I need)
    3) Cordage for the stakes?
    4) of course the tarp lol

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dutch does ship quickly - a continuous ridgeline of Zing-It 1.75 mm with soft shackles, a Dutch Hook, and Wasp is hours away!

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/continuous-ridgeline.html
    I agree, Dutch does ship very fast and if you shoot him a pm and tell him what your trying to do i'm sure he will help you out with everything you need and ship it in time.
    Don't worry Dutch really does look out for his customers in everyway, he will take care of you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast