Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Vapor barrier liner @ 35 degrees to extend 40 degree bag usefulness?

I'm planning a trip during which the night time temperatures might dip to 35 degrees or so. I would like to bring my ultralight zapacks down bag, which is rated for 40 degrees, rather than bring my much heavier/bulkier 20 degree bag. Think I can get away sleeping in a merino top, and use my ultra-light cuben fiber vapor barrier liner inside the bag, to extend the range of the 40 degree bag? Or should I bite the bullet and bring my heavier/warmer bag?

I've never been a top/under-quilt guy. Always a bag sleeper in the hammock. If I'm carrying my double-layer, I put a thin ccf pad between the layers, and I'm happy. With my single layer, I sometimes use a Klymit X-Lite inflatable pad inside my down bag. Both work fine. I will probably use the CCF on this trip (CCF can't leak, and works better in a go-to-ground emergency if the ground has sharp stuff on it). An advantage to my winter down bag is a zipper in the footbox that allows my to pull the bag around my hammock (works with my tiny GT Nano 7, but not with my BIAS hammock, due to larger hammock size).

This is a 400-mile bicycle tour, and I am a weight weenie, so I would prefer to take my zpacks 40 degree bag for both weight and bulk reasons.

I know, I know, this is very subjective and everybody sleeps differently. Just wondering, though, if using my vbl makes any sense at 35 degrees. I've used it only in the 0 to 20 degree range before when doing winter camping.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've never used a VBL in those kind of temperatures but I'd be interested to see other responses. I've always used th VBL to stop the icing up of the bag rather that the temp increase (though it obviously does that as well)

Hammock
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Depending on the information source, people suggest a 5 to 10 degree perceived warmth enhancement from the VBL. The other big plus is the prevention of moisture accumulation in the bag on multiple days (my trip is 6 days). There does not seem to be much peer-reviewed science on VBLs, but lots of anecdotal stuff. Andrew Skurka has some of the more reasonable advice. My 40 degree bag is 850-fill hydrophobic down. I am not sure if hydrophobic down largely or completely eliminates problems with moisture accumulation over multiple days or not. Always lots to learn.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I've experienced the warmth from the VBL in colder temps, amazing TBH. Especially if weight is a concern (I'm tempted to tell you that there's only one way to find out, then you can tell me if it'll work at around freezing ;-) )

I'm cheap and never had the hydro down but I wonder if the water proofed down will wick the water like ordinary down does? Water proof down or not I think ice will still get stuck in the bag as I've had ice build up in my synthetic bags before (UK military stuff as a poor teenager) so in the bitter cold VBL is definitely worth it (apart from the morning shedding of cloths that sucks :-D)

Images
    I bicycle 20 miles per day, and saving weight over sleep comfort is straining out the gnats whilst letting the elephants thru. How much weight will the heavier/bulkier bag add to your load, the bicycle carries the weight and if the climbs are a problem then gearing is your solution. Come nightfall my money rides on comfort, for a good nights sleep makes for an enjoyable ride.

Your vapor barrier will certainly trap vapor, but probably not much heat. I would opt for a silk bag liner in lieu of taking a vapor barrier if you decide to take the lighter bag.

Anyhow here is how Vapor gets around, in any system that is separated by a semi-permeable barrier (in our case skin) there will always be an attempt for the pressurized liquid (inside the skin) to seek to pass thru the skin in order to better equalize the excessive water. There have been studies that suggest that during sleep the body and mind can actually loose 1-2 lbs of water. In most cases this is water vapor borne on the exhaled air as we breathe. A VBL may trap most of moisture (escaping from the skin, the bodies largest organ), and keep the interior of the liner at a higher humidity than the air outside the VBL, unless it is a good rain or fog outdoors. Your breath will have a more active impact on the sleeping bag, as the outside air temperature on the outer surface of the sleeping bag will be far colder than your exhaled breath. So, a wool wrap over you mouth and nose will trap that moisture and help to prevent it from encountering the cold surface of the sleeping bag and condensing on it.

So, condensation forms when warm humid air (water is in its gaseous state) encounters a surface that is colder. If the temperature differential between the humid air and the VBL or Tent fabric is sufficiently far apart, the warm humid air condenses on the inside surface.

Take a teapot and heat some boiling water, when the water is rapidly boiling, open the Freezer Door and observe closely how the steam is deposited on the cold surfaces. The colder air will not support the steam cloud because the air is too cold to support the heated and excited motions of the water vapor molecules of steam. Because the water vapor is temperature dependent, the colder air slows the movement of water vapor molecules, and the steam begins to revert back to water droplets from its vapor stage. Therefore the water vapor condenses on the colder surface. Much like a glass of Iced Water will form droplets on the outside of the glass. Same principal.

Your situation is dependent upon how much water intake you have, versus how much your internal engine, and mind burn up during the night. The water has to go somewhere, and no it is not in the bladder. We are talking water loss here. So, the answer is that it depends, everyone's internal engine and mind and sleep patterns will invoke differing results under very similar conditions.

Think of it this way, some are soggy sleepers, others are high and dry sleepers...not using much water at night and so on and so forth. Everyone's experience will differ as will the same individual's experience. Under similar conditions even the same individual may very well set up circumstances that are inversely proportional to the exact same conditions on a given basis. For instance salt intake, liquid intake, and intake of foods that tend to absorb liquids. Diabetics will have differing results dependent upon blood sugar levels. Lots of variables factor in this equation.

My best advice is just quadruple your salt intake

My experience comes from being an Electronic Technician and being assigned 2 Hemodialysis Clinics where the Physicians would filter the blood by diffusion, ultrafiltration and osmosis. The addition of saline to increase water intake for the patient was incorporated to at the end of treatments in order to satisfy the Prescription that was made.

You will get many stories, all of them are true and perhaps some will mimic your experiences.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 08-30-2015 at 19:16. Reason: Grammar and typo's

Take some of those chemical hand warmers. I have found one adds a lot of heat and lasts all night, if I find it is colder than expected and I need to bridge the gap.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've used VB clothing in those temps and they sure help. I've experimented with VBs quite a bit and find the VB needs to be next to your skin - no luck with VB wraps or sleeping bag liners. Stephenson's Warmlite VB clothing (the shirt mainly) or Frogg Toggs Ultra Lite Rain Suit work very well. There is a thread BillyBob started for last winter's experiments - I'll add a link if I can find it. It is a pain to change into/out of VB clothing.
    If you can heat water - a single wall SS bottle or Nalgene bottle used as a hot water bottle would be a good way to boost your insulation vs. using VBs.

Here are the links:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1427202

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1448657

the entire post:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...rs-this-winter
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-30-2015 at 21:16.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

Good info

Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    I bicycle 20 miles per day, and saving weight over sleep comfort is straining out the gnats whilst letting the elephants thru. How much weight will the heavier/bulkier bag add to your load, the bicycle carries the weight and if the climbs are a problem then gearing is your solution. Come nightfall my money rides on comfort, for a good nights sleep makes for an enjoyable ride.

Your vapor barrier will certainly trap vapor, but probably not much heat. I would opt for a silk bag liner in lieu of taking a vapor barrier if you decide to take the lighter bag.

Anyhow here is how Vapor gets around, in any system that is separated by a semi-permeable barrier (in our case skin) there will always be an attempt for the pressurized liquid (inside the skin) to seek to pass thru the skin in order to better equalize the excessive water. There have been studies that suggest that during sleep the body and mind can actually loose 1-2 lbs of water. In most cases this is water vapor borne on the exhaled air as we breathe. A VBL may trap most of moisture (escaping from the skin, the bodies largest organ), and keep the interior of the liner at a higher humidity than the air outside the VBL, unless it is a good rain or fog outdoors. Your breath will have a more active impact on the sleeping bag, as the outside air temperature on the outer surface of the sleeping bag will be far colder than your exhaled breath. So, a wool wrap over you mouth and nose will trap that moisture and help to prevent it from encountering the cold surface of the sleeping bag and condensing on it.

So, condensation forms when warm humid air (water is in its gaseous state) encounters a surface that is colder. If the temperature differential between the humid air and the VBL or Tent fabric is sufficiently far apart, the warm humid air condenses on the inside surface.

Take a teapot and heat some boiling water, when the water is rapidly boiling, open the Freezer Door and observe closely how the steam is deposited on the cold surfaces. The colder air will not support the steam cloud because the air is too cold to support the heated and excited motions of the water vapor molecules of steam. Because the water vapor is temperature dependent, the colder air slows the movement of water vapor molecules, and the steam begins to revert back to water droplets from its vapor stage. Therefore the water vapor condenses on the colder surface. Much like a glass of Iced Water will form droplets on the outside of the glass. Same principal.

Your situation is dependent upon how much water intake you have, versus how much your internal engine, and mind burn up during the night. The water has to go somewhere, and no it is not in the bladder. We are talking water loss here. So, the answer is that it depends, everyone's internal engine and mind and sleep patterns will invoke differing results under very similar conditions.

Think of it this way, some are soggy sleepers, others are high and dry sleepers...not using much water at night and so on and so forth. Everyone's experience will differ as will the same individual's experience. Under similar conditions even the same individual may very well set up circumstances that are inversely proportional to the exact same conditions on a given basis. For instance salt intake, liquid intake, and intake of foods that tend to absorb liquids. Diabetics will have differing results dependent upon blood sugar levels. Lots of variables factor in this equation.

My best advice is just quadruple your salt intake

My experience comes from being an Electronic Technician and being assigned 2 Hemodialysis Clinics where the Physicians would filter the blood by diffusion, ultrafiltration and osmosis. The addition of saline to increase water intake for the patient was incorporated to at the end of treatments in order to satisfy the Prescription that was made.

You will get many stories, all of them are true and perhaps some will mimic your experiences.
    You are correct that the best approach would be to bring the warmer bag. But a good portion of my pleasure in planning a trip is to think through everything I bring to make sure it is perfectly optimized for the planned route/season. Not too much, not too little. For this trip, with nights in the mid 30s as a potential, I would really like to make the 40 degree bag work. Part of that is to justify the high price of that wonderful zpacks bag.

Thank for the info and the scientific data about water vapor and VBLs. Good to learn.

Images
    http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-b...y-application/

You can find quite a few old threads here at HF discussing VBs in endless detail. Here is one to get you started if interested:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=vapor+barrier

But I think you are probably already familiar with all of this, Still, to get the best results out of VB use, it is important to thoroughly understand VB theory. So if nothing else, the above links can provide a great review.

But, since I think you are already aware of the basics, still you are wanting to get an extra 5F out of your 40F bag, is that right? And I suppose you know from experience that our 40F bag is fully adequate for you at 40F?

If so, it really shouldn't take much to get an extra 5F, down to 35F, out of that bag. All kinds of tricks can help including just layering extra clothing on top of you, or even sleeping in it. Assuming you will have some warm clothing with you. Or, the VB liner should be able to accomplish that with it's hands tied behind it's back. I mostly use VB clothing rather than bag liners. But, if you are happy using a liner, it should work just fine as I'm sure you already know. With my VB clothing, I seem to get a good 20F extra, plus of course the prevention of vapor condensing in my outer insulation, which increases the benefits more each day. Same thing when I add a space blanket/VB to my HHSS, on top of all my under insulation. This is a very imperfect VB as far as keeping vapor sealed up against my skin, since it is only under my back outside the hammock, and when I turn side to side any vapor trapped is then free to escape, and any sweat from accidental over heating is then free to evaporate(evaporative cooling=COLD). Still, imperfect or not, it keeps almost all moisture out of my under hammock insulation and overall works like a charm for me. I would say it adds a large amount of warmth to the HHSS, probably at least 15F, for me, if not more. Getting rid of evaporative cooling PLUS keeping insulation bone dry on longer trips is priceless.

So, to your OP question: Yes, if you don't otherwise hate VBs for whatever reason, definitely, a correctly used VB would allow you(or me anyway) to use a conservatively rated 40F bag at probably 20F and still be warm, IMO. YMMV of course. If you go the VB route, be sure and let us know how it worked out.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-31-2015 at 16:50.

Maybe try a sleeping bag liner? I think sea to summit makes one that can extend your sleeping bag by 10degrees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast