Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ: JRB Greylock 3

Hello from the Twin Cities, Minnesota!

I've been lurking here for a while, and finally decided to jump into this hanging thing. You guys are an entertaining bunch!

Living in a northern suburb in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. I've been a tent camper for many years. I've taken a lot of BWCA canoe trips in the past, but have been mostly car camping these days. I'm five months shy of 60 yrs old, and decided I needed to get back into enjoying the wilderness again on a more intimate level while I still can. Having read about the great trails here in MN, especially the SHT, I decided to ease myself into backpacking. Being overweight with bad knees, I am looking for beginner trails, and light gear. Thinking short weekend hikes (1-2 nights) this fall.

I've ordered the following:
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double layer (waiting to be shipped)
    Warbonnet Superfly (shipped)
    JRB Greylock 3 UQ (delivered)

I'll eventually get a top quilt, but will use my sleeping bag for now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this new activity!

Bob

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Boone 20/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Gear
    Images
    Welcome Bob. The SHT is an amazing place but I'd also like to mention the North Country Trail here in northern Wisconsin. The plus side of not having the amazing views and topography of the north shore is we have very gentle trail on the knees and can be perfect for those needing to ease into it, yet can be very remote feeling. Our two wilderness areas are beautiful sections of the trail, are well maintained and have very little elevation change (rainbow lake wilderness and porcupine lake wilderness) The campsites are a little more spread out and primitive but no too terrible. Definitely get up to the SHT when you can, there are also areas that are a little more easy on the body especially on the southern end.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Thanks for the welcome and for the heads up on the North Country Trail! I have to admit I don't know much about it, but it sounds perfect for me. I'll definitely look into it.

Cool.....I'm from the nort burbs. Not to be a trouble maker, have you considered canoe tripping. It may be easier on the knees. There is an event the last weekend of September called Wing-nite at Lake Rebecca Regional Park that will provide an opportunity to hang and try out some canoes. It is kind of the BWCA.com version of a group hang. http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ID=12&confID=1

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Synthetic
    Welcome from well south of you.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling,
    and a hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Welcome from North Carolina.. he is a great place for all things Hammock Camping... Enjoy
    -An optimist is a man who plant two acorns and buy a hammock....

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    Quote Originally Posted by walks on water View Post
    Cool.....I'm from the nort burbs. Not to be a trouble maker, have you considered canoe tripping. It may be easier on the knees. There is an event the last weekend of September called Wing-nite at Lake Rebecca Regional Park that will provide an opportunity to hang and try out some canoes. It is kind of the BWCA.com version of a group hang. http://www.bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ID=12&confID=1
    I love canoeing and do plan on a few BWCA trips with my new hammock! The weekend gathering you mention sounds great, but I may be traveling for work that weekend. If I get my hammock in time, and my schedule is free, I'd love to join you all.

Bob

Welcome Bob! I'm a fellow Minnesotian, I've lived in VA for a bit over a year (came here for work), fell in love and will probably remain here. My boyfriend (who'll remain nameless...Corey ) is the person who introduced me to hanging. I've only tent camped but now I've hammock camped twice and I'm loving it. He's stearing me in the right direction on what to get as far as hammock and hiking gear. We've also had a GRAND time kayaking. Now I need to continue saving money to buy more cool stuff and a kayak. This new hobby is another reason why i'm loving VA vs. "home" the great outdoors, AKA the mountains - no skyscrapers or rolling hills for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Metabolized burger
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Hi Bob,

I'm just northeast of the cities on the St. Croix. 60 is in sight for me, and I'm overweight and have bad knees too. I started hammocking on the SHT this spring the last weekend in March and hiked the trail between Castle Danger and Hwy 6 over the course of 5 weekends. Actually I hiked it twice, since I was having to backtrack to my car. I bought nearly the same setup as you and love it - I hope you have as much fun with this as I'm having...

Good luck, and welcome!