Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images

Sleeping Pad Combination Question for Colder Weather

I have several sleeping pads that I have been trying to decide between in trying to optimize my system for my new Clark hammock. The others will either go back to REI or be sold so that I can begin to "retire" my ground sleeping systems. I am mostly concerned about what I should do for a pad/UQ combo and whether it should be able to get me to the lowest temps I could expect to see.

My primary concern is between my Thermarest NeoAir (R-value of 2.5) and an older Big Agnes Iron Mountain (R-value of approx. 1.0). I know that having slept on the ground with only a sleeping pad between myself and the ground, the Iron Mountain would be inadequate for colder temps (in this instance I am referring to temps around 15-32*). However, now that I have the hammock, I have purchased the new Z-liner UQ for the Clark, and also will have a Gossamer Gear ThinLight underneath the sleeping pad. With a Marmot Helium, the UQ, ThinLight and an underlayer of silks and microfleece, is the difference of 1.5 in R-value, with all other things considered worth the extra money for the NeoAir or can I get by with a pad with a lower R-value given that I have all these other items and am not solely relying on the pad as my bottom insulation layer? Or does simply having 2.5" of air in a pad directly below you that is not insulated make one colder as a result? I would expect that the lowest temps that I would see would be mid-teens on a REALLY bad day here in VA.

Does anyone sleep with a non-insulated or lower-insulated sleep pad and what have your experiences been? What other insulation layers are you using on the bottom? I know it all depends on how warm you sleep, etc (I sleep pretty warm), but I would just like to get some extra viewpoints.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    curious to the thickness of your thinlight pad?
    I have zero knowledge with the Clark or it's pockets, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!)
    The BA is made to give you comfort on the ground (R-value of 1 isn't much) and in your hammock, you will have to deflate it some to stay comfortable (reducing the R-value further)
    The NeoAir is a great product for light, good insulation and compact, but very $$.
    Clark says the z-line adds 20+* to your set-up. so lets work backwards...if your looking to get to 15*, add 20* for the z-line and your at 35*...what pads do you need to get to 35*? (I don't think the BA alone will cut it...the NeoAir probably would)
    a good ccf (like your thinlight), conservatively a 1/2" worth will get you to 35* easy (many people much lower).
    If me, I would sell both of your pads and stick with the necessary amount of ccf (and testing will tell you how much that is)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sorry, the ThinLight is 1/4". The air pad was more for comfort and spreading the sides a bit wider since I have very wide shoulders being a former football player.

You are right though, if I can get away with the BA, returning the NeoAir would save a lot of coin that, if need be, I could throw towards another UQ, which would make all of this pad discussion moot But the money just isn't there right now for that.

I also have a feeling that just using the ThinLight and Z-liner with my bag and undergarments would be enough. My wife has nicknamed me the "human heater" and I can sweat when just thinking about it, so I have a feeling I'm warmer in general than most. I also need to take into consideration the effects of the insulating properties of the WeatherShield on the Clark, which from what I have read, is very effective. When I was in it the other day in 55*, I had it zipped up entirely to take a nap and started to feel pretty warm with no other insulation in the hammock. But unfortunately it hasn't been cold enough to test the theory here yet... just trying to think ahead.
    Last edited by Triptease; 10-21-2009 at 07:35.

• + New Posts