Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Has anyone successfully hung two hammocks beneath the Hennessy Double Wide tarp?

My birthday is this month and the hubby knows I need a decent tarp desperately so he asked me to search around and send him some links, but I know what the accounts look like unless he's been poking money back somewhere so I'm trying to be very budget conscious.

I'm wanting a tarp that can cover two bunk style or even the three tree way if possible. I'm the only rain or shine backpacker in my crew as far as staying in my hammock. Friends go to ground or don't go. I'd like to be able to offer them some space of need be. Or am I being "that" friend? Lol plus the hubs comes too sometimes.

Is the Hennessy going to fit that bill?

I know it's not the lightest or smallest but compared to the big blue WW tarp I've carried or just using my poncho which gets me a wet butt in the wind... I'll sacrifice weight!

Any other suggestions?

Images
    Not sure, but hanging two under one tarp is a common thing. There are some vendors selling some mighty big tarps ( warbonnet and underground quilts come to mind). Only one way to find out, give it a try before you head out. One option is to hang one end of each hammock to the same tree. Here's a video (at 10:00) showing that.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1237880

There's also the diy route, if you can sew you can get pretty creative...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ymoon-Suite%29

Hammock
    Dream Hammock SL Freebird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ /HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've got one. I love it. It's not the lightest but offers lots of coverage. I've never used it with two hammocks so I'm not sure. It will be lighter than the WW Blue tarp. I picked mine up for $60 on Ebay...it's the Hennesy Hex 12 x 10.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never had much interest in two (or three) people under a tarp, mainly because of my experiences with wind-blown participation. Most tarps are designed for one person, and as soon as you add a second, bunk-style, your tarp no longer provides the coverage it otherwise would have for one person.

The HH Hex provides 8.6 feet of coverage width-wise, but once you go bunk-style, then your sides are exposed to wind-blown precipitation. That's because you have to hang the tarp higher than you normally would to accommodate the second hammock bunk style. I have a hammock in my office, and the ridgeline is 56 inches off the ground. Add another hammock, and you're probably adding close to another 56" to the ridgeline height of the tarp. So the ridgeline of the tarp would need to be at least 9 feet off the ground to accommodate two hammocks bunk style. Go with three hammocks and you'll probably need a 10 or 11 ft. high tarp ridgeline!

It will work fine for straight-down rain, but leaves you exposed to blowing precipitation. You'll also have an issue with wind getting under the tarp (which can be a real bear to deal with). A wider tarp like the Kelty 12 x 12 will probably provide better coverage, but you'll probably still have an issue with wind.

Bottom line is that two people under one tarp will work fine in straight down rain; not so good with blowing precipitation.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chilax View Post
    It will be lighter than the WW Blue tarp. I picked mine up for $60 on Ebay...it's the Hennesy Hex 12 x 10.
    The HH Hex is 12 x 10? Not according to their website. The HH Hex is 11 ft. by 8.6 feet, to my knowledge. That's 23% smaller than a 12 x 10.

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    That makes sense. Maybe for once I shouldn't try to accommodate people who don't bring adequate gear... The hubby and I are known to sleep in the same hammock and he's the only one I just "want" under the same tarp. This bears thinking out...

Thanks for all the responses!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock SL Freebird
    Tarp
    MWG Monster
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ /HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The HH Hex is 12 x 10? Not according to their website. The HH Hex is 11 ft. by 8.6 feet, to my knowledge. That's 23% smaller than a 12 x 10.
    This is what I was referencing .......http://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammo...ennessy+12+x10

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chilax View Post
    This is what I was referencing .......http://www.amazon.com/Hennessy-Hammo...ennessy+12+x10
    I just wonder why Hennessy doesn't sell that rainfly on their own website. It's 18% bigger (144" x 115") than the regular Hex, and only two ounces (25 oz.) heavier than the Hex (23 oz.). I guess I'm not sure I understand how a tarp that is 18% bigger only weighs 8% more.

Then again, they list the weight as 23 ounces in one place, and 25 ounces in another place. If i were a betting man, I'd bet that all you're getting is a regular HH Hex rather than this double-wide version!

I have an HH Hex - might have to pull it out and measure it.

Images
    This can be done. It is a bit tight but seeing as you're married, well, go for it. I have done it, so can you. We did the three tree configuration. I'm scared of bunk style, but that's just me being a wimp.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Look at the Kelty Noah tarps. 12x12 or 16x16. We've had two under the 16x16 and there was a ton of coverage, as well as room to spare.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast