WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Hammock along the West Highland Way (Scotland / UK)?

Is there anybody here who has done the West Highland Way in Scotland with a hammock? How difficult is it to find spaces to hang? And what about the restricted zone at Loch Lomond? There are plenty of official campsites, but do they allow hanging? I found a couple of posts on the Internet where hammockers said that UK campsites often don't allow hanging because it supposedly poses a danger to others. I'd like to avoid carrying a pad if possible.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Late response but myself and Scotty Von Porkchop did the WHW it in may... in hammocks. There are a few spots where it is a challenge to find trees to hang but it's not bad really as long you have a rough idea where you want to end up each night and are happy for a couple if longer or shorter days then normal. We done it over 6 days and I can message you some of the spots we stayed at/saw en route.
    I refuse to pay to sleep outside so I can't help you on campsites.
    There is a designated wild camping spot in the restricted zone, there were plenty trees in the area and you wouldn't have a problem camping there. We camped just after conic hill (before balmaha where the restricted zone starts) then outside rowcoish bothy on the second night after the zone ends. Another option would be to hike away from the Loch to outside of the restricted zone. You can definitely avoid sleeping on the ground. When are you planning on going? It is a very busy trail, especially in the summer.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks a lot, that's helpful. I had been planning to walk in September, but have ended up moving it to April next year. So any tips will still help me. I thought about taking 10 days for the walk and scout the landscape for trees via Google Earth. If you have exact spots for hanging or can recommend particularly nice place, please do so.

Hammock
    ENO SN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20o
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My son and I backpacked Ben Nevis and Knoydart in 2013. This resource was invaluable: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk. Sign up and ask the about hammock camping along your intended route. Also read up on midges. I understand they can be a real nuisance in the Highlands during late spring and summer. Our trip was in October and we had no issues with bugs.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    April should be fine for midges, they don't really come out until towards the end of May. Walkhighlands is a great resource for maps/routes etc. 10 days might be stretching it for trees, there is a lot of plantation where the trees are too close together and the ground is marshy so even where you can see conifers it is often not practical to hang there. I'm on a backpacking trip atm but will look over the maps and give you more info and resources when I get back, you may have to go to ground or use a bothy/hostel on a couple of nights though.

I"m looking to do the West Highland Way late this summer with a hammock. Am interested in whether you did the trip by hammock, and what your experience was.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No, I didn't go in the end. I'm still planning to someday, but unfortunately I can't help you :/

Hello.
    I'm planning to do the WHW this coming August. I am encouraged that you were able to find enough places to hang your hammock. I would really welcome any info you can provide on where there are suitable spots to hang, and on stretches where there are none. Your original note gives me enough up to the rowcoish bothy.
    (I know August is not the ideal time (trail traffice and midges), but that's when I'll be in Scotland.)

Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Late response but myself and Scotty Von Porkchop did the WHW it in may... in hammocks. There are a few spots where it is a challenge to find trees to hang but it's not bad really as long you have a rough idea where you want to end up each night and are happy for a couple if longer or shorter days then normal. We done it over 6 days and I can message you some of the spots we stayed at/saw en route.
    I refuse to pay to sleep outside so I can't help you on campsites.
    There is a designated wild camping spot in the restricted zone, there were plenty trees in the area and you wouldn't have a problem camping there. We camped just after conic hill (before balmaha where the restricted zone starts) then outside rowcoish bothy on the second night after the zone ends. Another option would be to hike away from the Loch to outside of the restricted zone. You can definitely avoid sleeping on the ground. When are you planning on going? It is a very busy trail, especially in the summer.

I'd appreciate some help if your not too busy??

Hi I was wondering if maybe you could give me some pointers. I replied earlier but it didn't seem to post. Think it was because I hit quote lol

• + New Posts