Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

Molly went on a hike

Took a very short hike today (about 2 miles) with my Molly Mac Pack configured as a day pack. 10 pounds total - hardly noticeable.

The vile-colored thing at the left of the frame is my fleece vest (what can I say, it was cheap). It is attached with short brown cinch straps I made.
    You might be able to see that I moved my countycomm EOD bag to the very bottom of the pack.
    Apologies for the washed out photo - having problems with my photo editing program.

I'm not actually sure how one is supposed to attach the hydration sleeve, but I seem to have found a way so that'll do for now (I am considering switching back to bottles so this may become a moot point for future trips).
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have to admit these Mollys have piqued my interest but I am concerned about the waist belt and shoulder straps. How do they compare to a more conventional pack when carrying some more serious weight? Also do you find it more convenient or less convenient than a conventional pack when packing and repacking during a multi day hike?

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Cool stuff eay, I can't wait to use my MMP as a slack pack. In fact, I can't wait to use my MMP for ANYTHING!

FWIW, I like the color of your fleece jacket!

Hey try this on your EOD bag. "EOD, If you see me running, try to catch up!"

Two more days...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I have to admit these Mollys have piqued my interest but I am concerned about the waist belt and shoulder straps. How do they compare to a more conventional pack when carrying some more serious weight? Also do you find it more convenient or less convenient than a conventional pack when packing and repacking during a multi day hike?
    Due to some knee issues I have not been able to backpack since spring. So I have not been able to take my MMP out on a multi-day trip.
    However, I can tell you that with my conventional modern internal frame pack, my style is to empty the entire thing every night anyway.
    At least with the MMP I'd know what items were where on the pack.

(My knees were fine on today's totally slacker hike, so I have hope for the future). I, personally, will probably never be able to answer your weight question since I'm going to refuse to carry more than 25 pounds anymore ever again!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Personally, I think that color is quite fashionable.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post

Thanks, Miguel
    No need to answer my questions...I found the correct thread with all pertinent info. Pretty sure I see one in my future. It's beauty lies in it's simplicity.

Miguel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Just carrying my new (to me) prototype MMP that I got at the silent auction at Hot Springs in from the parking lot at work, I know how NOT to pack it. I'll play some more are report. I'm having trouble with things sliding sideways, like my cannister (bear vault large) and a drybag that only has my hammock and tarp in it for weighing purposes. Things slip and slide. More testing...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NS & Prototype
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchClips
    I've seen that some people are having some slippage issues, personally I've never had a problem. But I do make sure that the cinch straps are very tight, and I do think ahead while packing stuff sacks. I try and keep the crushable stuff where the cinch straps are. So- I'll have something solid (or something I don't want crushed) at the bottom of the stuff sack, then something crushable where the first cinch strap runs, then something solid (or something I don't want crushed) in the middle of the stuff sack, then something crushable where the second cinch strap runs, then something solid (or something I don't want crushed) at the top of the stuff sack.

I might not be doing the best job describing it, but the way I pack my stuff sacks allows me to really tighten the stuff sack down, and the bulges on either side of each cinch strap ensures that it stays put. Something cylindrical (like a bear cannister) will require a bit more work, there is a thread on some ideas on making a bear can work. I haven't had to try and figure that one out yet.

I think if you're having slippage issues, try tightening the cinch straps more. That should solve your problems.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    CapitalBill is correct! That's why we call it "building a load." You don't just hang stuff on a Molly Mac Pack. It is a compression device!

BTW, CapitalBill is the second most experienced Moll Mac Packing person on the planet. That's why he has good ideas like orienting crushable stuff in stuff sacks. I'll have to give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by EAY
    I'm not actually sure how one is supposed to attach the hydration sleeve
    It was made to be attached to the outside of a stack of stuff sacks. It has a halyard and a downhaul that go to the top and bottom rows of webbing on the MMP, and two horizontal cinch straps that attach it to other cinch straps on the load.

If you use it on a day pack, you can't attach it to the load... so you have to figure something out. Looks like you did!

P.S. Try putting it horizontal, across the top of your EOD bag.

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 10-22-2009 at 05:58.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts