Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter Palace Pack Down Size??

Anyone with a winter palace, can you show me a photo of it packed down in the stuff sack and then it would be great to see it folded up to fit in a Osprey 44 size pack. I'd say, folded to about....1.5 feet by 1.5 feet.

Curious to see how well you can pack the cuben fiber down compared to the Sil.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Just estimating my WP rolls/folds up to something like 10" long and a 5" diameter cylinder shape and that's if I take my time and fold it neatly. If I was trying to conserve pack space I'd simply put it loosely in the bottom of my pack and fill my dry bags on top. The reason I fold/roll my tarp is to have it stored outside my pack in case I get caught in a downpour and or if it's raining when I need to make camp, it's the first thing up and the last thing down in the morning if it's still raining.

Basically it packs down quite a bit better than silnylon and it doesn't absorb water. Simply give it a good shake and pack it away damp. A silnylon tarp will hold quite a bit of water weight in your pack.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    Just estimating my WP rolls/folds up to something like 10" long and a 5" diameter cylinder shape and that's if I take my time and fold it neatly. If I was trying to conserve pack space I'd simply put it loosely in the bottom of my pack and fill my dry bags on top. The reason I fold/roll my tarp is to have it stored outside my pack in case I get caught in a downpour and or if it's raining when I need to make camp, it's the first thing up and the last thing down in the morning if it's still raining.

Basically it packs down quite a bit better than silnylon and it doesn't absorb water. Simply give it a good shake and pack it away damp. A silnylon tarp will hold quite a bit of water weight in your pack.

David
    Thank you! Could I trouble you for a photo?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    FYI, you don't want to ever fold the expensive cuben fabric. Repeated folding in the same spot over and over again will cause the material to rip on those folds. Everyone recommends you stuff it into the stuff sack so that way it never has the folds in the same exact spots over and over again.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Cuben fiber doesn't pack down as well as silnylon. Below is my HG Winter Palace in cf snakeskins and a cf pouch. Next to it is my DIY silnylon Fronkey hex tarp (132" x 120"?) in silnylon snakeskins and a mesh bag. I'd say the HG Winter Palace is roughly twice the size of the DIY silnylon hex.

20150902_153811.jpg

Here's the thread with pics of the DIY Fronkey tarp:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=tarp

Of course, packability isn't the reason you buy cuben fiber. The Winter Palace is 8.6 oz. with doors, and the DIY Hex is around 12 or 13 ounces with no doors. You'll find an even great disparity in weight if you compare a Winter Palace to a Superfly - 8.6 oz. versus 19 oz. The Winter Palace weighs less than half of what a similarly sized 4-season tarp weighs!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

Winter Palace Pack Down Size??

I would agree that you don't want to fold it. Roll it and store in skins or with elastic loops. It does not pack smaller than the same size silnylon. I will try to get a picture for you.
    Edit: silvrsurfr beat me to the pic and fact that it doesnt pack as small

It can be packed in my bag like I do my sleeping bag? Stuffed in?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yes, just stuff it in. Or for an easier method use snake skins (which is a small but long tube of fabric - think pantyhose- you pull over the tarp to more easily pack away the tarp with all it's guylines).

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Cuben fiber doesn't pack down as well as silnylon. Below is my HG Winter Palace in cf snakeskins and a cf pouch. Next to it is my DIY silnylon Fronkey hex tarp (132" x 120"?) in silnylon snakeskins and a mesh bag. I'd say the HG Winter Palace is roughly twice the size of the DIY silnylon hex.

20150902_153811.jpg
    Wow. Are you telling me you can't get the Winter Palace to pack any tighter than how you have it in the snakeskins in that photos?

I would be buying it for weight and packability. That would simply take up too much real estate in my 44 liter bag.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    Wow. Are you telling me you can't get the Winter Palace to pack any tighter than how you have it in the snakeskins in that photos?

I would be buying it for weight and packability. That would simply take up too much real estate in my 44 liter bag.
    Silnylon always wins the packability contest. If you want silnylon at more than twice the weight of cuben fiber, that's your choice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast