Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    And I may have to upgrade soon or figure something out because my pack is pretty full and I just ordered the HG Incubator 0. Not sure how or where it will fit just yet.
    It's easy to get attached to a favorite pack, but the first thing you need to do - in my humble opinion - is lay out all the gear you need for your mission, and then pick a pack to match. Since you have an Incubator 0 on the way, and you want a winter tarp, I'm guessing a larger pack is in your future.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ mostly
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I was worried about the pack size of the WP too. Not much bigger than the SF and so much lighter. Just shuffled stuff around a bit and found a spot. And if you are getting 0degree quilts you're gonna need a bigger boat (bag)

Both with snakeskins. The SF does squish more. The WP is in the stuff sack my 20* Phoenix came in.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    That's cool. Are the cubens squishy and further compressible like the Superfly? Pack size has always mattered significantly more to me than weight, so I've avoided the HG WP because of that. If it really packs that much smaller than my WB SF, and especially if it's squishy in it's stuff sack (making it easier to conform to the front pockets on my packs), I may reconsider it.
    What you see here, the cubens are compressed about as much as can be, no dead air space to speak of. The Superfly is obviously more squishy but not so much that you're going to practically compress it to a smaller size. Believe it or not, the big reason I picked up the Superfly is for summer use on bike tours, we often stop early in the day 1-2 PM, first priority is to get out of the sun and lounge for a few hours to relax, I needed something that offered more protection from the sun than the cuben. On the other hand I was up in the Rockies last August with my WP, it turned out to be a good decision in terms of wind and rain protection, my ground dweller buddies were grateful for a covered area to cook under in the rain on one occasion.

I'd be curious to hear how thru-hikers wind up stowing with their cuben tarps after they've been on the trail for a time, I think I'd get lazy and just layer it up in the very bottom of the pack even though I like having it on the outside of the pack.

David

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    I'd be curious to hear how thru-hikers wind up stowing with their cuben tarps after they've been on the trail for a time, I think I'd get lazy and just layer it up in the very bottom of the pack even though I like having it on the outside of the pack.
    I just don't know if I could ever get used to having my cuben tarp anywhere but an outside pocket on the pack. Seems like that's where a tarp belongs, especially after a hard rain storm.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-04-2015 at 01:45.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Yep, outside pocket all the way. Either top pocket of the sack or i'll strap another pouch or stuff sack on the outside

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    The mesh pocket on the Ohm 2.0 will swallow up almost any tarp, but I still consider it a three-season pack.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sethrotull View Post
    I was worried about the pack size of the WP too. Not much bigger than the SF and so much lighter. Just shuffled stuff around a bit and found a spot. And if you are getting 0degree quilts you're gonna need a bigger boat (bag)

Both with snakeskins. The SF does squish more. The WP is in the stuff sack my 20* Phoenix came in.

This is extremely helpful. I purchased an Osprey 20Liter straightjacket. I could easily stuff it in that and cinch it to the bottom of the Osprey 44. No need for a larger pack.

Slightly off topic, in colder temps, 20-40, my osprey 44 main compartment is at 85% fill and it's all sleeping gear (tent, UQ, TQ, sleeping pad, pillow, etc.). About 12-13 pounds with ONLY my campaign gear and bag weight.

Is this normal? I easily fit a few days worth of food at the top or outside, so it's not a problem. Just wondering if you guys are experiencing the same fill % and total weight with only your camping gear.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    Is this normal?
    My 62 liter packs (both of them with 47 liters of capacity in the main compartment) are absolutely filled all the way to the top of the main compartment with my stuff – and that's only with a mere 2 liters of water, and food for 2 days. I can NOT fit anything else inside the main compartment.

AND, it's not like I'm packing a ton of stuff AND my base weight is ultralight at under 10 pounds AND this is only with 40º insulation. This is how I'm always completely amazed with how people can fit everything in their smaller 40-50 liter packs (they much have the world strapped to the outside of them)....so I would say you're actually pretty darn compact if you're fitting everything inside a 44 liter pack (which probably only has 30-35 liter capacity in the main compartment).

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    There ya go, 2 cubens and a sil, now all have a ridgeline, guys and stakes in protective pouches in the stuff sacks.

Which is the 4S, the WP and the Superfly?

David
    Attachment 115332
    That's a real big coffee mug you have there!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123