Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair 11'
    Tarp
    SLD WH/DW xenon
    Insulation
    SLD Climashield 6
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I am so glad I stumbled on this thread! In under 5 days I did the research, ordered the parts and I just finished the legs and now have to cut the excess off the top rails. I should be completely done by tomorrow night, will post pics and dimensions then!

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Thanks for posting! That looks nice and heavy duty while being able to push aside against the wall.

Happy I found this thread. I'm not a fan of my turtle dog stand, and have been looking for something different. I'll use the ridge pole that's already set up for my turtle, and just need to grab 6" legs. Awesome.

Images
    I got my parts from cover me today, they were very quick. Looks like good quality.
    Do you think these would be strong enough for the ends, or should I just drill a hole and put some big bolt through it? What are Y'all using rather than the rail ends? Lowes said the ones in the OP were not available online.

EDIT: I forgot the link!
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-F...l-End/50254759
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-26-2018 at 16:22.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I am still using the rail ends. They work great and were readily available in the store. I like that they can be removed easily for transportation of stand. I then just have smooth poles that are easy to move and stack up well. While I wondered if they would be robust; they have stood up to everything well. And I am not gentle (in, out, swinging) with the stands at all. I just use them with a press fit too. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunckelman View Post
    I am still using the rail ends. They work great and were readily available in the store. I like that they can be removed easily for transportation of stand. I then just have smooth poles that are easy to move and stack up well. While I wondered if they would be robust; they have stood up to everything well. And I am not gentle (in, out, swinging) with the stands at all. I just use them with a press fit too. Hope that helps.

Please see the edit to my previous post. I found these at Lowe's, and was wondering if they look about a strong- or indeed the same- as the rail ends from the OP?

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Looks the same as what I am using from HD. So far so good...

Last edited by Dunckelman; 04-26-2018 at 21:47.

Images
    I have enough top rail for about 15 feet for the top post that takes the load.

But I have a bunch of posts that came from a trampoline frame. They measure about 1/16 smaller diameter than the fence rail. Though they actually seem to me to be a heavier(but not thicker) metal than the fence top rails, like maybe steel rather than aluminum, but I don't really know. But, a short piece weighs 2.6 lb vs a barely shorter piece of fence rail which weighs only 1.6 lb. So about 60% heavier for about the same length They don't fit quite as snug into the L , but barely less so. I'm thinking about using these for the legs, as I have a bunch of them and they already have crimped ends to fit together.

Also, are you guys using any kind of sleeve over the top rail joints(or even leg joints)? I had a fence rail bend on me one time right at the joint( probably 210-220 lb at the time, about 200 right now). It didn't dump me, but was bent pretty good. I did order 1 sleeve, and I have some wider diameter fence upright that I used for a sleeve on my old stand. But are you guys are getting by without it?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunckelman View Post
    Looks the same aa what I am using from HD. So far so good...

OK, thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, ENO
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have enough top rail for about 15 feet for the top post that takes the load.

But I have a bunch of posts that came from a trampoline frame. They measure about 1/16 smaller diameter than the fence rail. Though they actually seem to me to be a heavier(but not thicker) metal than the fence top rails, like maybe steel rather than aluminum, but I don't really know. But, a short piece weighs 2.6 lb vs a barely shorter piece of fence rail which weighs only 1.6 lb. So about 60% heavier for about the same length They don't fit quite as snug into the L , but barely less so. I'm thinking about using these for the legs, as I have a bunch of them and they already have crimped ends to fit together.

Also, are you guys using any kind of sleeve over the top rail joints(or even leg joints)? I had a fence rail bend on me one time right at the joint( probably 210-220 lb at the time, about 200 right now). It didn't dump me, but was bent pretty good. I did order 1 sleeve, and I have some wider diameter fence upright that I used for a sleeve on my old stand. But are you guys are getting by without it?
    Not sure about the trampoline frame tubing. I used left over pieces from a dog run (think it is the same as top rail). I purchased the sleeves for the joints as a just in case - they have never been used. I do find every once in a while that I get some bowing in the cross bars. However, it never bends or kinks. I usually find it is because of being in a bind. Movement of one set of legs fixes it right up.
    Last edited by Dunckelman; 04-26-2018 at 21:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast