DIY 11' Hexon 1.6 wide
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Costco TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkTastic View Post
    I'm the same height as you and I've cut several poles for experiments and currently use a configuration with an overall ridge pole of about 10 1/2 ft. with the open L fittings and legs at 5 ft with a 40 inch spread between the feet. my current hammock is 11ft and the ends sit right between each of the open L pairs (with the short ends butting against each other) at about 9 ft 5 inches. and hug the ridge pole the way I have them secured. I don't need a ridge line and I've been sleeping in a hammock for close to a year now with virtually no problems.
    Could you please post a picture of the end of one of your stands including both Ls? I'd like to see how it all is configured together. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Here is my take on this portable stand. Kudos to all who have added feedback to improve / enhance the design features.

I bought enough hardware to complete 2 whole structures at full size, roughly 8' legs, 16' ridge pole.

Parts list:

10x 10.5 foot 1-3/8 inch 18 gauge Top Rail (Menards ~ $9 ea)
    14x 1-3/8 inch Sleeve (Menards ~ <$2 ea)
    8x 1-3/8 inch L Bracket (Tarps.com ~ $5 ea, $15 SH)
    8x 1-1/4 inch Rubber Chair Feet (Meijer ~ $2 ea 4-pack)
    8x Tennis Balls, X-cut and fit over Rubber Feet, keep them clean outdoors (Free, left over from School Tennis Program)

Tools List:

Sharpie Marker
    Tape Measure ~ measure twice, cut once
    Tube Cutter ~ 2" cutter worked great
    Metal File ~ smooth any sharp edges
    Knife ~ x-cut tennis balls

Cut all 10x 51" including 3" insert swag end
    Keep 4x 75" legs (shorter, solid leg option 6' 3")
    Cut 6x remaining pieces at 48" (4') leaving 27" (2' 3") stubby legs option

So, I have 2 complete structures, almost identical with some optional flexibility in sizing.

Primary Stand (max size piece 51" or 4' 3") 12x almost identical pieces with 7x sleeves, 8' legs and 16' ridge pole.

Secondary Stand (max size piece 75" or 6' 3") 4x long legs, 4x 4' ridge pole sections, 4x 27" or 2' 3" leg extenders,
    plus 7x sleeves, total structure slightly taller legs at 8' 6".

I can easily remove 1 section of ridge pole for a 12' instead of 16' length. Can use 6' 3" legs indoors without need to
    worry about tarp/overhead cover.

I must say this was terribly easy and after testing this past weekend, rock solid with some reinforcing line both sides
    and limiting the leg spread to 7' (very good headroom inside my tarp).

This past Friday / Saturday provided some hot, windy, rainy weather. Almost too much, but the structure passed with flying colors.
    45 mph wind gusts, half inch of rain, 60-80 degree temperatures....

Hammock gear included paracord ridge-line for my DD 4x4 meter tarp, various carabiners, bunch of 24" bungee cords (with that
    wind I'd use solid line next time), stakes, some camping poles for side pulls. As I'm a brand new hammock hanger I'm still learning
    every time I setup/take-down and use my gear.

Here are some pictures to prove my setup.... Somehow I managed to delete the ones with my hammock actually setup inside.

Overall View Setup:
    BroadView.jpg

End View Setup:
    End1.jpg

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about this project. It does work and is rock solid, at least my experience to date.

Gregori
    October 2017
    Last edited by Gregori; 10-11-2017 at 07:59.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG &amp; Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Question, Gregori:

Looks like your suspension hangs from the thumb screw holding the L fittings to the top rail. Somewhere in the last 482 posts was a mention of how this failed and required re-tapping the fitting for a new screw.

Built my frame last weekend. Tied the tree straps around the legs at the top rail as we've seen mentioned in previous posts. I'll probably be be drilling a hole in the top rail for an eye bolt beyond the leg brackets but wrapping the straps worked well during grueling and extensive testing last Sunday after lunch.

For anyone considering building this, it takes far longer to read this entire thread than to build the frame.

Wayne

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Wayne,

Only the tarp suspension thru the screw eyes, I wrapped my hammock straps (not shown) around the end L-bracket each side,
    which worked exactly as expected and documented. My hammock with me and the wife sitting barely moved the Top Rail, over 400#.

Inside the house, the end to end wobble feels a little more shaky, but does just fine with both of us same time sitting. Outside with
    the expect wind / weather I staked it down for max stability, plus a slight angle (not level) to my yard with the direction I setup.

It looks and feels somewhat flimsy, but with my weight, 45mph wind, just the ends staked down, frame did not move. My tarp moved
    all over with just the bungee cords holding it tight, but nothing let go. After that stress test, I trust the frame more than I had
    hoped and expected.

Gregori

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG &amp; Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Gregori, I like the tie downs that you have at the ends. Don't think I've seen that suggested in this thread. I haven't tried mine with a tarp yet, but during my exhaustive napping... I mean testing I did last weekend in a fairly strong breeze, the end to end sway was pretty minimal. End strapping probably would have eliminated it.

You're right, it doesn't look as strong as it actually is. I'll be putting mine into service during an Adirondack trip next weekend for at least the night that I get there in the dark. (One end attached to my truck cap's roof rack makes setup quicker.)

Wayne

Built this myself, out of structural steel and Steeltek fittings instead of fence rail.

One tip: Because the legs are smaller than the joint holes they fit into, there's naturally a bit of play. At each end, push one leg towards the middle, and the other towards the end. This doesn't eliminate the end-to-end sway, but it drastically reduces it, and turns it into more of a wobble.

Received my brackets today and got a free mini tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Built it

Quote Originally Posted by wbearly322 View Post
    Built it

Quote Originally Posted by wbearly322 View Post

Nice. How long are the Legs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts