Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    For the slippage problem you mention here's what I did. For the outer-most bracket, run the screw all the way in so instead of pressing down on the ridge pole it now acts like a stop. My hammock is hung from a tree strap wrapped around both leg brackets. This way the tension holds the brackets together on each end as well as pulling the outer one solidly against the end of the ridge pole. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I'll try and take a photo later.
    The wrapped tree strap thing is the route I'm going. Secures the L brackets together and has the load at the legs instead of the end of the ridgepole.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    For the slippage problem you mention here's what I did. For the outer-most bracket, run the screw all the way in so instead of pressing down on the ridge pole it now acts like a stop. My hammock is hung from a tree strap wrapped around both leg brackets. This way the tension holds the brackets together on each end as well as pulling the outer one solidly against the end of the ridge pole. Hopefully this makes some kind of sense. I'll try and take a photo later.
    Geeze! . Why didn't I think of that? I drilled and pinned my outer most legs. What a kick in the pants. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammonkey View Post
    So I got mine built today and tested it out.

I started with 4 10.5' poles and cut 6' legs from each. The 1 1/4" rubber caps took a little coaxing to fit on, but with some hairspray and something to help pry them on like a bike tire they fit perfectly on the 1 3/8" rails. I cut the swagged end off one of the remaining 4.5' sections used that as the middle of my 3 piece top rail by fitting the swagged ends into the middle and then secured them with the connectors just for added security. Using this method resulted in a top rail that was 153" long, absolutely perfect for my 12' ridgeline hex tarp. I am happy I went with the 6' legs and feel that it sets me at a good height. I dont have to bend over much to avoid hitting my head, and my tarp sets up pretty well underneath it. I still need to make some continuous loops the perfect length so I can just attach to the continuous loops of my hammock with a carabiner, and then make two more so I can attach my tarp the same way with some mini biners.

The one problem I seem to be having is that I notice a little slippage of the L sections inward. I have the screws tweaked down pretty hard and I still noticed that they wanted to slide inward on the pole. They would hold if Im lying still, but if I get a good bounce I did notice some slippage. Any solutions for this? I was considering drilling holes in the poles, but I dont want to mess up the threads by the bar putting stress on them and damaging the threads leaving me stuck with being unable to screw them in and out at all. This would also limit the angle I set the legs at, and I also worry that this would add a lot of wobble due to the poles not being clamped tight to the wall of the L sections.

I currently have my continuous loops hung over the L the way bnolsen has in his picture on post 197. I've considered making some attachment point on the end of the poles to prevent this, but dont want to put stress on my ridge poles and cause failure by not attaching as close as I can to where the legs connect (I'm 245lbs)... I dunno what do you guys think?
    I have my hammock suspended by whoppies hung around the l brackets. I'm 330lbs and have had no issues. Dont sweat it.

I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

You don't find that it destabilized things by not clamping the top rail snug to the L fitting?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    The poles have a pretty snug fit in the brackets so I don't think it will make much difference. I've got another stand made from from some other brackets and the camo netting poles. That one has a lot more slop between the bracket and poles and it's still pretty stable.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Finally had a chance to use the stand with both the 7' and 5' leg configurations.

Love the 7' legs, plenty of room and pretty stable. Some end to end swaying, a little more than I expected, but stable enough.

5' legs worked but for sure i am closer to the ground than I would prefer. Inside leg to inside leg was about 12.5' and the hammock is an 11.5' hammock.

There was a quite a bit of leg creep in the 5' setup. The one end walked in on me a couple times.

The other thing I noticed is that you can't sit perpendicular and walk the hammock back to get out. One or both of the legs will lift and the stand will collapse. Might attach some rigid leg spreader avoid that. The spreader wouldn't take any load, just ensure the legs stay spread during entry and exit.

5 ft legs
    uploadfromtaptalk1464367437700.jpg

2' off the ground even with 5' legs.

uploadfromtaptalk1464367466344.jpg

Whoopiesling spread limiters.

uploadfromtaptalk1464367526835.jpg

Hammocking assistant making inspection
    uploadfromtaptalk1464367599389.jpg

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Still working on my ultimate ridgepole length. Going to try setting up the tarp a couple different ways. (any excuse to use my new COGs)

I'm alright drilling the ends of the ridgepole and throwing in a couple clevis pins to prevent any leg walk to the outside. Haven't figured out how I will limit any inward leg walk except with limiting straps attached to the outside ends of the ridgepole. Possibly a fixed length dogbone that is connected to the clevis pin at one end and around the inside leg at the other.

Also thinking about a vestibule setup with an extension pole on one end of the ridgepole.

Recently purchased a 16' Kelty Noah for the nieces and nephews when the join me, thinking that mega tarp would be fun on the stand as well.

Have already had requests to haul the setup down to the beach for overnight surf fishing trips. Never thought of that but man, how nice will it be to hang in a hammock and fish off the beach. A shaded hammock no less. That'll be fun.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Still working on my ultimate ridgepole length. Going to try setting up the tarp a couple different ways. (any excuse to use my new COGs)

I'm alright drilling the ends of the ridgepole and throwing in a couple clevis pins to prevent any leg walk to the outside. Haven't figured out how I will limit any inward leg walk except with limiting straps attached to the outside ends of the ridgepole. Possibly a fixed length dogbone that is connected to the clevis pin at one end and around the inside leg at the other.

Also thinking about a vestibule setup with an extension pole on one end of the ridgepole.

Recently purchased a 16' Kelty Noah for the nieces and nephews when the join me, thinking that mega tarp would be fun on the stand as well.

Have already had requests to haul the setup down to the beach for overnight surf fishing trips. Never thought of that but man, how nice will it be to hang in a hammock and fish off the beach. A shaded hammock no less. That'll be fun.
    I pinned my rp ends to keep them from slipping. I have not had any issues with the imside legs walking. I tilt the bottom of my legs out just a bit and I think that binds the inside brackets in such a way that they don't move. My rp is in 5 pieces though so the angles will be different.

If I had to do it over I would run the eye bolts on the ends all the way in and just butt the rp in there. Someone earlier in the thread said they had luck with this method. You my try it before you drill. I guess if your rp sticks out of the ends that won't work.

Fishing on the beach sounds awesome. Post some pics if you get it out there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Ok here is the setup with the 7' legs installed and tarp in snakeskins.

First pic is before loading the hammock. All appears well.
    uploadfromtaptalk1464375897041.jpg

After loading the hammock, the legs on the near end in the pic, walked in 12". The change in slack for both the tarp and hammock ridgeline is obvious.
    uploadfromtaptalk1464376009943.jpg

Yep, gonna have to solve that problem.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ratdog; 05-27-2016 at 14:39.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Wow you have your your legs way out there. I have mine 50'' apart at the feet. I dont use spread limiters.. Yet. I also have 7' legs. Maybe try them closer together.

I have 13' between my innermost legs. Fits my 11' hammock and 12' tarp. Perfectly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast