Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Remember that your hammock should be attached to the ridge pole and not the legs.
    Right, I see how my description of the issue was confusing. Let me clarify. The way the legs attach to the ridge pole in this stand is by running the stand legs into the short connector leg of this 2-way fitting while the ridge pole is going through the long connector leg.

Each end of the ridge pole has two of these fittings in a kind of back-to-back configuration. The hammock suspension goes over the ridge pole outside the legs... I didn't take a picture while it was up, so here's a super crude mock-up:

2-way Fitting 2.jpg

I want to minimize the mechanical lever forces on the ridge pole, so I'm trying to hang the suspension as close to the center-point of the leg connection as possible. I could place the suspension between the two fittings, but then the suspension pulls on the inner connector alone. Going outside both connectors, doubles the resistance provided by the eye-bolts. So ultimately the majority of the forces should be on the ridge pole, not on the legs. But by the nature of this design, there is some inward pull on the leg joints (not on the legs themselves). If the fittings are secure enough, the inward pull is only transferred to the ridge pole. At least that's how I've understood the physics of the design.

If I've lost the plot on this design, and there's a different, better way to connect the suspension to the ridgepole in a way that won't put any inward pressure on the leg joints, please let me know!

Thanks!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Got what you're doing. As someone that spends most of my time hanging from stands, mostly like the one below, I have found that a double wrap w/ the straps, a "round turn" will prevent most slipping.
    In the second photo there's a close up of how my straps are on my stand w/ an almost inline pull and no slipping. You could try this on the ridge pole just inside the legs instead of between.IMG_20240204_105115954.jpgIMG_20230909_190320286.jpg

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Got what you're doing. As someone that spends most of my time hanging from stands, mostly like the one below, I have found that a double wrap w/ the straps, a "round turn" will prevent most slipping.
    In the second photo there's a close up of how my straps are on my stand w/ an almost inline pull and no slipping. You could try this on the ridge pole just inside the legs instead of between.IMG_20240204_105115954.jpgIMG_20230909_190320286.jpg
    Thanks, Low Tech.

I love your set-up. Big fan of the guy-line anchored tension configuration (I own 2 Tensa Solo poles, a couple Trekking Treez, and have converted my Tensa4 into Solos as well, so all 4 of us are able to hang when we desert-camp).

If I read your post correctly, you're suggesting hanging the suspension with turns around the ridge pole so there's no pull on the connectors at all. This could work. I'm picturing an Icicle hitch or Klemheist knot. I think either of those could work. I see a couple of problems with this in my set-up: The connector is 8" long, so moving the suspension inside the connector, I would lose 16" total. Not a massive problem in general as I could just increase the length of the ridge pole to compensate, but I'm working with limited space. The room this will be put in is ~14' long, and the stand is already 12' 4" from end to end. Increasing the ridge pole to compensate for the lost 16" would make navigating the bedroom troublesome. I kind of already feel like I'm pushing it.

The other problem (which is probably the one that concerns me more), is that this would bring my downward pull closer to the center of the pole, away from the legs. As the pole itself is made up of 3 sections of 1 3/8" top-rail connected by male/female inserts, I'm not sure how confident I would be putting my weight on it. I've read about some of the spectacular failures people have had when incorrectly loading their ridge poles with the Turtlelady and Turtledog stands. While the galvanized steel might be plenty strong enough and I might be overly cautious, I'm also putting my wife in one of these, so it's not just my safety and comfort that I'm risking. I'm also risking my life, if my wife's safety and comfort are compromised!

Images
    My preference is to load the ridgepole(s) with inline compression, so I repurposed an old ratchet strap claw and it turned out pretty well.

The resultant flat lay is now against the aluminum tubes that make up the ridge pole. Just ensure that enough "exposure" of the ridgepole inside the canopies' coupler exists so as not to load up the end of the coupler instead of the pole.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    My preference is to load the ridgepole(s) with inline compression, so I repurposed an old ratchet strap claw and it turned out pretty well.

The resultant flat lay is now against the aluminum tubes that make up the ridge pole. Just ensure that enough "exposure" of the ridgepole inside the canopies' coupler exists so as not to load up the end of the coupler instead of the pole.
    Thanks, Joe.

I appreciate the close-ups. That's an intriguing solution. I like this better than S-hooks that I've seen some people using. I hadn't considered lining up the couplers in the same orientation as each other (I have them running opposite directions to put the legs next to each other). I can see how your configuration minimizes any leverage by putting the fulcrum almost right at the end.

It's been raining a lot the past week and my ground is super soft, so haven't been able to play around with it, but as soon as the sun comes out (or if I can make room in my basement), I'm going to try this out. I should have some similar ratchet claws laying around here somewhere.

Will report back!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrex View Post
    Thanks, Joe.

I hadn't considered lining up the couplers in the same orientation as each other (I have them running opposite directions to put the legs next to each other). I can see how your configuration minimizes any leverage by putting the fulcrum almost right at the end.
    Like everything else in life, "It Depends"

I hang in a Amok 3.0, so my suspended weight is evenly distributed on both pair of legs, therefore the torque is applied to the ridgeline poles, and the load bearing on the legs might differ if you are using a traditional hammock.

Adjusting the support legs to splay outward or inward will differ on your setup, and the reason is that I use Schedule 40 6061 T6 Aluminum pipe legs and ridgeline. If you look closely at the second image you can see the thickness of the pipe.

Play around with this example by splaying out the legs towards each other on each end, or even tethering the ends by staking to minimize end to end swaying.

Again, the Amok loading on this stand differs from how a traditional hammock would react, so experiment with it.

Sleeping inside on the stand offers a plethora of tweaks to really fall down the rabbit hole.

IMG_0210[1].JPG
    Svelt hardware

IMG_0211[1].JPG
    Alcohol rubdown and reapplication of 'Seam Seal + WP' on MSR Twin Brothers A-Frame shelter.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 02-21-2024 at 06:46.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    I've completed one of these stands and will be building the 2nd one today or tomorrow. I've been testing the hang in my basement periodically over the past couple of weeks. I've got the hang dialed in, and have secured the leg-spread with a couple lengths of paracord icicle hitched just above the feet, and then connected to each other with an adjustable bend.

Before I make the 2nd one and fully replace our bed, I have a smallish concern. When I'm in the hammock, I feel secure. The hang is good, the stand feels solid. But when getting in and out or when adjusting my lay, there is some lengthwise movement (perpendicular to the natural swing of the hammock). It's not a lot, a couple of inches maybe. I'm using 1 3/8" galvanized steel top-rails with the tarps.com connectors. I presume the hardware is strong enough to handle this movement without bending and failing at the joint where the connectors end, as long as this movement is not exaggerated. However I wanted to confirm this movement is normal for this stand design and not something I need to be overly concerned with. Or if it is normal but should be addressed, what are some suggested measures I can take?

Stand Close.jpg
    Close-ish View

Stand Full.jpg
    Broader View

Adjustable Bends.jpg
    Adjustable Bends
    Last edited by Zeusrex; 03-07-2024 at 18:08.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I don't have an answer to that question since I haven't used that type of stand but, I did notice that the legs could be more inline if the fitting that the outside leg is in got flipped the other way so that it extends beyond the legs instead of making the space between them.

Not sure that it matters or makes it more stable but it's something I would be testing out just to see if there was any difference.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    I did notice that the legs could be more inline if the fitting that the outside leg is in got flipped the other way so that it extends beyond the legs instead of making the space between them.
    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    That was my original plan. I flipped it the way it is now after Joe showed his set-up. I liked it flipped this way as it almost completely eliminates any torque on the ridgepole when the hammock is loaded. Deciding that the torque would still not be much considering the ends of the ridgepole are inside 16" of connector, I went ahead and flipped them around and loaded the hammock. The hang felt just as secure, but that lengthwise motion persisted.

I stress-tested it just a bit, and the legs decided they wanted to start walking a little. Bare concrete is probably not the best place for this test. But the joints held and I didn't notice any bending, so that's reassuring. Will try to find a carpeted section of the house to test further. Though I have mostly hardwood and laminate flooring and the carpeted spaces are mostly covered in beds, so I might need to wait for the wet ground to dry out. Or I may just put them into service and hope for the best

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeusrex View Post
    I've completed one of these stands and will be building the 2nd one today or tomorrow. I've been testing the hang in my basement periodically over the past couple of weeks. I've got the hang dialed in, and have secured the leg-spread with a couple lengths of paracord icicle hitched just above the feet, and then connected to each other with an adjustable bend.

Before I make the 2nd one and fully replace our bed, I have a smallish concern. When I'm in the hammock, I feel secure. The hang is good, the stand feels solid. But when getting in and out or when adjusting my lay, there is some lengthwise movement (perpendicular to the natural swing of the hammock). It's not a lot, a couple of inches maybe. I'm using 1 3/8" galvanized steel top-rails with the tarps.com connectors. I presume the hardware is strong enough to handle this movement without bending and failing at the joint where the connectors end, as long as this movement is not exaggerated. However I wanted to confirm this movement is normal for this stand design and not something I need to be overly concerned with. Or if it is normal but should be addressed, what are some suggested measures I can take?

Stand Close.jpg
    Close-ish View

Stand Full.jpg
    Broader View

Adjustable Bends.jpg
    Adjustable Bends
    Hi Zeusrex, I used one of these stands for years. I also was concerned about the length wise swaying you mentioned, but I can't say I ever noticed any problems that caused by that. Still, I would occasionally run a cord on each end from the apex either to a stake in the ground, or to a tree or bush or some hardware on a wall. This greatly minimized the swaying and it felt way more stable. But I was never sure it was really needed. But it did feel more solid.

I can not remember exactly how I attached the cord to the stand, I just know I did so. I suppose some caution might be needed to make sure the cord can not separate any of the stand connectors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast