Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    so.....Its been 6 months. I've had this stand at work. I set it up, sleep in it for 2 nights, take it down. once a week for the last 6 months. It's still awesome and working perfect. Top rail is a little wobbly where it connects together in the middle, but that doesn't effect it one bit.

My weight is down from what it was, but this thing was holding me just fine at 370lbs.

Awsome stand for the price and ease to build. Pretty easy to put up and take down also. Plan to build a couple more for wife and son this spring.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    My brand new Hammock Stand. No innovations. Pretty much the same as everybody else's
    Hammock stand1.jpg.

I put the strap over the bar, using the s-hook as a stopper. Should be less stress on the hook and hole in the pole. This is how Shug showed the attachment in his Hammeck Stand setup video.
    Hammock stand s-hook.jpg

Hammock
    DIY gathered end of 1.6 ripstop
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    So, I’m not sure who the first person on this thread suggested this, but if you take 1” EMT, it will slide inside the 1 3/8th fence rail. Drill holes in both and secure with a clip. You can drill additional holes in the EMT to give you adjustability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can anyone who's done this comment on deflection/bending? I'm around 210 lbs, and I wasn't sure if it would be an issue. I was also considering sleeving the 1-3/8 with 1-1/2 EMT (still at the bottom). If my thinking and math is right, it would be a closer fit (keep in mind the tubing is named according to OD, and EMT is ID), and likely stronger (not sure if that's an issue to begin with).

I'm trying to get this to pack down to 4 feet long, but be able to do 7ft legs and a 13.5ft ridge pole. Ridge pole stiffness is likely going to be my bigger issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderKant View Post
    Can anyone who's done this comment on deflection/bending? I'm around 210 lbs, and I wasn't sure if it would be an issue. I was also considering sleeving the 1-3/8 with 1-1/2 EMT (still at the bottom). If my thinking and math is right, it would be a closer fit (keep in mind the tubing is named according to OD, and EMT is ID), and likely stronger (not sure if that's an issue to begin with).

I'm trying to get this to pack down to 4 feet long, but be able to do 7ft legs and a 13.5ft ridge pole. Ridge pole stiffness is likely going to be my bigger issue.

I was originally going to do just this, but ended up liking my first attempt leg length. But when looking at the pipes at Home Depot, it felt like the 1" EMT was just as strong if not moreso than the fence post it sleeves into. I don't think you'll have any deflection issues.

Hammock
    Got it. Thanks!

I read through the entire thread the other day, and saw things about longer ridge poles broken into >2 pieces (which would be necessary for me to hit my goal of the individual parts staying within 4 feet). Not sure if you were one of those people, but any insight on if this will be a significant issue relative to flexing and strength? I'm not sure how strong to expect multiple female/male connections to be.

Hammock
    I'd welcome insight... I ordered the 1-3/8 open L fittings and got 1-3/8 fence rail, and it looks like they're the same diameter (1-3/8 inches). The website says that these fittings go over 1-3/8 fence rail, and everyone's experience seems to show that to be the case, but I got a weird batch, or I'm being really dense. Reached out to the company, but wasn't sure if it would be obvious to others, or if anyone had experienced something similar.
    Last edited by CommanderKant; 06-22-2019 at 21:34. Reason: formatting

I'd welcome insight... I ordered the 1-3/8 open L fittings and got 1-3/8 fence rail, and it looks like they're the same diameter (1-3/8 inches). The website says that these fittings go over 1-3/8 fence rail, and everyone's experience seems to show that to be the case, but I got a weird batch, or I'm being really dense. Reached out to the company, but wasn't sure if it would be obvious to others, or if anyone had experienced something similar.
    Did you hear back from them yet? Looks to me like maybe they sent you the fittings meant for 1" EMT pipe. You are correct that the fittings marked 1 3/8" should go over a standard 1 3/8" fence rail.

Hammock
    Yeah, I was exploring their site and noticed they sell fittings for 1" EMT, and I'm thinking that's what they sent me. Luckily, I can verify on my email receipt that I ordered the right stuff. They haven't gotten back to me yet, I think I'll call and see what's up.

Edit: it appears someone mistransposed the order somewhere along the line and 1-3/8" became 1". He said he'd box them up and send them out today. He said I should just keep the 1" fittings. Maybe I'll see if 1" EMT is sufficient for a stand?
    Last edited by CommanderKant; 06-24-2019 at 13:43.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies

Cant imaging you would have deflection issues at 210. I'm 350 and don't have issues using fence rails.

My whole stand packs down to 4ft and is 7ft tall when in position. Instead of sleeving I bought extra rails and used the swaged ends. It costs a little more, but saves time and the need to invent a solution. I did the same thing with the top rail and it all works just fine. Weighs around 40lbs.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Yeah, I was exploring their site and noticed they sell fittings for 1" EMT, and I'm thinking that's what they sent me. Luckily, I can verify on my email receipt that I ordered the right stuff. They haven't gotten back to me yet, I think I'll call and see what's up.

Edit: it appears someone mistransposed the order somewhere along the line and 1-3/8" became 1". He said he'd box them up and send them out today. He said I should just keep the 1" fittings. Maybe I'll see if 1" EMT is sufficient for a stand?
    I'm using 1" EMT for my stand. No issues except for end to end sway if you move around in the hammock. It's not much, though. A friend who goes about 250 used it with no problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 59 of 76 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast