Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Single
    Tarp
    hb XL Rain Fly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    Strap, rings, loop
    [QUOTE=steveflinn;1920557]Did anyone consider a monopod built along the same lines?

Take a look at the Spurtle Stand 2.0

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steveflinn View Post
    Did anyone consider a monopod built along the same lines? Attachment 168622Attachment 168623
    Check out the Spurtle (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=spurtle) and Spurtle 2.0 (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hlight=spurtle). These are single leg designs similar to what you suggest.

Ohhh! the Original Spurtler beat me to it.

Have there been any thoughts or experiences about lighting? Wouldn't all of the conduit and top rail be like a lightning rod?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Is Amsteel or polyester conductive? I doubt it. Maybe when wet, which it almost certainly would be if lightning is occurring... but the path of least resistance would still be straight through the conduit to ground. If it's something of concern, I'd probably put up an actual lightning rod 40-50' away.

It's hardly the safest place to be in a storm, but my hope would be that a lightning strike would pass massive current through your conduit, heating it to 800+ degrees instantly. Your suspension would be cleanly sheared at both ends, dropping you to the ground draped in a cocoon as your tarp fell gently on top of you. Your sleep would be cut short by the fall, the sound, and the flash, but you'd be otherwise unharmed.

But it would probably go much differently than that...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Another way to connect the legs to the top rail: HERE

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Howdy folks! Thanks for the info on building this stand! I'm a Scout leader and camp every month. Every once in a while, we camp where there are no trees available. One of those outings without trees is coming up on 2/8. I just ordered the fittings from Tarps.com. Am wondering about recommendations from those that have built these stands what you would suggest for leg and ridge pole length for an 11 foot hammock (Dream Hammock Sparrow) and a 6 foot hammock enthusiast.

From some folks that have posted on their experience, 7 foot legs seem a bit too long and 5 foot seem a bit too short. Am guessing 6 foot legs would be the Goldilocks length?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    ... Am wondering about recommendations for leg and ridge pole length for an 11 foot hammock (Dream Hammock Sparrow) and a 6 foot hammock enthusiast. From some folks that have posted on their experience, 7 foot legs seem a bit too long and 5 foot seem a bit too short. Am guessing 6 foot legs would be the Goldilocks length? Bruce
    I have a 10 foot ridge pole and use 10-11 foot hammocks. For the 11 foot hammocks, I've hung on 5 foot poles but had to snug the hammock up to the top pole. Six footers should do the job for almost all your applications. I used 5 footers because it split the 10 foot pole evenly. I've been able to make it work for all my hammocks, as long as the legs don't sink into soft ground.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Thanks tangara! This coming outing will actually be in a cabin...so, won't have to worry about that for the first deployment.

Q: For outdoor hanging, would expect that adding spikes to the legs would help with stability. Anybody try this yet??

Thanks!
    Bruce

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Q: For outdoor hanging, would expect that adding spikes to the legs would help with stability. Anybody try this yet??

Haven't needed that at all, but then I haven't had little kids swinging from mine, which may make a difference. On level ground, I've never had an issue. If on very sloped ground, you'd probably have to dig out a corner or two to level. The instability on this type of stand seems to be in the long direction. It will wobble along the direction of the ridgepole axis until you settle in. If you don't like the wobble, you can stake out the ends to minimize this.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    Howdy folks! Thanks for the info on building this stand! I'm a Scout leader and camp every month. Every once in a while, we camp where there are no trees available. One of those outings without trees is coming up on 2/8. I just ordered the fittings from Tarps.com. Am wondering about recommendations from those that have built these stands what you would suggest for leg and ridge pole length for an 11 foot hammock (Dream Hammock Sparrow) and a 6 foot hammock enthusiast.

From some folks that have posted on their experience, 7 foot legs seem a bit too long and 5 foot seem a bit too short. Am guessing 6 foot legs would be the Goldilocks length?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
    On occasion I hang my bridge and it needs quite a bit more real estate than the normal 11' hammock. So....I went with the 7' poles. I'm 6' as well so I can almost stand up straight under the ridge pole without bonking my head (a bonus). I don't think spikes are really needed if you're setting up on dirt. Mine lives on my back porch most of the time. I added rubber chair feet to the ends. However, I had to add the end caps first. On my first attempt the sharp edges of the poles cut right through the rubber caps.

In a pinch....I've made my longer by using the 3' scraps cut off when I made my original stand. You can add that short section (swaged on one end, straight on the other) to extend the ridge pole but it will get a bit more "floppy".

Good luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast