Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Different stand, different system - Aussie

maybe not for hiking, but check out the stand and Tarp, netting ideas...they have instructional videos in the setup section.....

http://www.anchorhammock.com/overview.html
    Last edited by SuperTroll; 05-18-2007 at 15:07. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's pretty cool. There is a pic on the Yahoo hammock camping group where a member uses a pole on his tarp and it looks just like the one in the pics.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Lightbulb D.I.Y. question

I'd LOVE to make a DIY version for car camping in Oz, suitable tree pairs are scarce on the plains, but I'll be dog-gone if I can think of a way to replicate the function of the little V shaped suspension points. I want something that will fold like the Anchor Hammock version. Ideas???

(Ref: http://www.anchorhammock.com/sands.html
    'Setup Basic Hammock Kit' & 'Remove & Replace Hammock' videos for a better look. . . .)

Images
    Same problem here!
    This type of hammock stand is kinda nice to look at and compact too! I am still in the process of making a working drawing/plan of a wooden(2x2) version and the suspension points and anchor points have stumped me a bit. Ideas anyone? Is a 2x2 workable?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    imo 2"x2" would be pushing it big time.
    and after looking at that stand, i would imagine that you would have to have some pretty serious stakes. they wouldn't get the force that the one pole method would but still a fair amount of pull when you move around in the hammock. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Stake size

I'm only guessing, but I'd think a 2 x 2 would be too small. I'm trying to think of tubular metal answers but not getting far. I like the design of the Anchor or the 'Magic Hammock'.

http://www.magichammock.com

but for $300 I can look longer and find those elusive trees. There's always the 1 pole 1 tree solution and we have a fair number of indigenous pic-nic shelters that would work in a pinch.

I just want to cobble something cheap and compact together to save time looking for sites at the lake. Something like a Vario is looking better the longer I don't come up with DIY ideas. I could use that inside too. Risk's $25 model is too big for the trunk of my Stratus, ditto the plumbers pipe versions like the Jacks were using to display their new hammock at TD's.

Slowhike . . . . In the 'Setup' video I referenced above it shows stakes about a foot long. They look to be about the length of the guys rubber mallet. There are huge corkscrew numbers somewhere on the site listed for sand use, but in normal ground the foot long model seemed fine in the video.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz-sie View Post
    I'm only guessing, but I'd think a 2 x 2 would be too small. I'm trying to think of tubular metal answers but not getting far. I like the design of the Anchor or the 'Magic Hammock'.

http://www.magichammock.com

but for $300 I can look longer and find those elusive trees. There's always the 1 pole 1 tree solution and we have a fair number of indigenous pic-nic shelters that would work in a pinch.

I just want to cobble something cheap and compact together to save time looking for sites at the lake. Something like a Vario is looking better the longer I don't come up with DIY ideas. I could use that inside too. Risk's $25 model is too big for the trunk of my Stratus, ditto the plumbers pipe versions like the Jacks were using to display their new hammock at TD's.

Slowhike . . . . In the 'Setup' video I referenced above it shows stakes about a foot long. They look to be about the length of the guys rubber mallet. There are huge corkscrew numbers somewhere on the site listed for sand use, but in normal ground the foot long model seemed fine in the video.
    I think the Amazonas hammock have something on their site. Its called Madeira stand or something and its made of sectioned 2x2. Its perfect for one tree set-up. Two madeira stands eliminates the tree altogether!

2 x 2's

I remember seeing those now. Hey, give it a try and report back to us. If wood that small DOES work that would certainly open up some possibilities for a wooden Anchor Hammock style DIY'er!

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

2 x 4 hammock support using 1 tree

a $15 solution:
    2 6 ft 2x4 beams, pressure treated
    1 3/8" eyebolt, nut, 2 washers
    2 1/4" eyelet screws
    2 screw-in dog tie stakes (like those shown at http://cvfsupplyco-store.stores.yaho...suscindog.html. Got mine for $4 each at Lowes.)

some sturdy rope

drill a 3/8" hole in both beams, centered, about 6" from the top. Attach eyebolt, with eyelet on side away from the hammock.

you keep the legs from splaying apart by screwing in a couple of eyelet screws near the base of each leg, and tie a bit of rope between them.

My first try at this used only 1 dog tie stake. Wasn't enough, the ground is pretty soft. The solution that works for me uses 2 stakes, each about 4' back from a leg base, each with a separate tie to the eyebolt eyelet.

It's hard to see, but I'm using the webbing+descending rings approach, with all the webbing and extra rope bundled up.

Since the point of using two stakes and supporting lines is to balance the load between the stakes, before seriously cinching up the webbing through the rings one needs to position the legs so that equal tension is placed on each stake line. After that you can do normal tightening up of the suspension.

It wouldn't be hard to use two of these to make a complete stand.

The limiting factor I think is the use of the dog tie screws. Great for yards and parks. It would be really hard to thread into hard-pack like you sometimes find in campgrounds.

Grizz

Images
    Hmmmm.... remember the old three-log stool seat? It was just a triangluar piece of heavy canvas with a pocket on each corner. You took three pieces of wood the same length and tied them together in the center. Put one end of the wood in the pocket and the other on the ground to form the stool.

I'm wondering if a tripod could be formed using exiting materials and rope to hold one or both ends of a hammock in areas where hammocking is prohibited where the trees are suitable (like the GSMNP)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast