DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Paul... No offense taken. I know your responses arent directed at anyone particular.

I too, hold myself to a very high standard. And I understand your philosophy. I was very speptical about the 7/64. I kept looking at it and thinking "NO WAY, is that going to hold just me in the hammock." Thats why I loaded my ENO up.

Next week Im going to give 1, 7/64 sling a dead weight test. We have a McElroy 618 HDPE fusing machine that weighs about 1335 lbs. Im going to see if the sling in the configuration I make them can take the load.

Oh.. Dont is supposed to be done....

Your store looks great. Youve dont a good job on it. You must not sleep

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Sleep what that? ay?

I started rock climbing when I was 12, started caving at 18, done a lot of very technical vertical caves, climbed some harry stuff. In climbing and caving we have a term that has made it's way into other things, and ways of talking about gear. BOMB PROOF basically when it comes to those activities your gear has to be bomb proof, your life and the life of your climbing/caving partners depend on the gear not failing. There is no room for error, no room for mistake, no room for failure. It needs to be so good that no matter what goes wrong it will not fail, or you die, period. I have been in caves where we depend on a single rope, a single set of anchors to be bomb proof or we don't come back out of that cave.

Now of corse hanging in you hammock 2 foot off the ground is nothing like that, but for me, being liable to my customers for them breaking a tail bone and having to hike out with it, I look at my gear the same way, it has to be bomb proof. I am not putting into question the strength of the 7/64th amsteel. I am looking at how I want my product to preform over it's usable life span. I have to know that no mater how a person uses the product it will preform as advertised no matter what. I know that the 1/8 inch will hold up a VW bug. I know that if need be someone could tow a truck down the freeway at 80 MPH with my slings (not recommended!) I have nothing against the 7/64th material at all, and Opie I hope you do not take my general response to questions on my choices as anything directed at you or your slings, as they were not, I am just explaining my position on my gear making philosophy. Truth be told I am very happy that you are offering custom options to folks, I just do not have the time to do it, I need some sleep somedays You have had a couple ideas that I have not had the time to execute and bring to my store, the key chains look cool, I was just going to dead eye both ends but the mini whoopie is very cool.

Paul aka Caveyeti

Lava tube cave? It looks like Crystal at the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument. The Lava Beds, aka my happy place
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Crystal Ice Cave, the Great Rift, fracture cave in the Creators of the Moon greater management area. 50 miles from the nearest town, 20 miles from the nearest house. 75 foot rappel in through a hidden entrance. The floor in that pick looks like water, but it was solid ice, clear as it comes.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Here's a few from my last trip into Crystal Cave at the Lava Beds Nat'l Monument. It's just outside of Tulelake, Ca.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    I know that if need be someone could tow a truck down the freeway at 80 MPH with my slings (not recommended!)
    thats too funny... working in the insurace biz, i just had to say - nice disclaimer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123