Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whipping question

I have seen several methods for attaching suspension to the whipping. One methods that I kind of liked was basically putting a continuous loop in the middle of the whipping then whip around that. Then basically pull the continuous loop through itself and that gave you a loop to hook whatever suspension too.

I guess the other way would be to take a fixed loop whoopie end and just attach that right below the whipping.

Pros and cons to either? Not a gram wienie....yet.

What I liked about putting a loop in the middle of the whipping was an easy attachment point for a beener. One will be for my wife and I want it to be pretty easy to setup.

These will be my first hammocks. Been lurking here soaking it all in. This may have been gone over time after time, but just searching in the DIY forum alone gave me 43 pages of results.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Welcome to the forums. There is a reason you got 43 pages of results...suspensions are fun to mess around with. You will probably end up trying several different methods of whipping. If your hammock has a sewn end channel, try running a continuous loop through the channel and larks heading it on itself. That will maximize the length of the hammock. If you want to use a carabiner, just hook it to the loop. Easy enough. Just wait until you start trying to decide how to do your tarp tie-outs- there's only about a million ways to do that!

Images
    I just made a few tablecloth hammocks, I added the whipping and then just larks headed the continuous loop right in front of the whipping.

Lots of ways to do it and too much information about it.

You can even just gather the end and put your continuous loop around it. I haven't done that yet but it is one of the options I came across.

Thanks guys. Got some Amsteel on the way for some whoopies and ridgelines. See if I can't squeeze a couple loops out as well.

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Derek Hansen from the Ultimate Hang has a nice video on making your own hammock from tablecloth on Youtube. Maybe that will help?

Here is his channel https://m.youtube.com/user/hansenoutdoors

Images
    Thanks Martin, I couldn't remember where I saw it but that's it. It was Derek Hansen.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I've not tried this. You should try Nail Knot for whipping. It is an ancient knot and easier than most other ways to tighten. After tightening nail knot, I would add an overhand knot close as possible to both ends. Then you can larks head your whoopie sling or continuos loop right onto gathered ends. And another idea is to use a longer continuous loop as continuous loop and whipping. You can do this by wrapping continuous loop around gathered end with Multiwrap Pile Hitch. This is a double pile hitch with extra wraps(try 4 or 5 wraps, remember the cord is doubled so you have 8 or 10 actual wraps). This will hold and and each time you hang it self tightens. And if you are not happy with it then simply untie it and use continuous loop for another project.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The Multiwrap Pile Hitch is eerily similar to John Smith's Icicle Hitch--he originated that knot from his work with double pile hitch and Multiwrap Pile Hitch. It has great holding power and if tied using a continuous loop you can use that to replace two knots. That is the whipping and continuous loop will be combined. And no need to tie each time, it will stay tied until you untie it.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Another way to combine continuous loop with whipping is to use a continuos loop with klemheist. This knot has great grip and you can skip whipping and have a continuous loop to attach to whoopie sling or other and it will re tighten each time you hang. Good luck.

Is this the method where you gather the end and then fold that over? Loop goes through the folded loop and then wraps around and larks head? I watched a "easy hammock knot 2.0" or something similar. I think I will try this. Fixed loop on the whoopie becomes the whipping as well. Looked very secure and easy to do.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast