Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DHThunderbird 72
    Tarp
    Green Monster
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thumbs up Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11' & 72" some thoughts.

First of all, I'm a rather largish man... 6'4 & 340# or so...

Some thoughts on it after having used it now for several nights.

I did a lot of research using the forums and emailing Papa Smurf, I decided to bite the bullet.
    I'm very glad that I went with the Thunderbird.
    As a largish (and tall) man, I have wide shoulders, chest, hips, big feet.
    I was concerned about having both enough ROOM and the durability of the hammock.
    Thus, the weight for me isn't much of an issue.
    I'm more concerned about tearing something up from day to day 'normal' use.
    It has 'got' to be durable or heavy-duty otherwise, what's the point.
    For me, the extra width is great. I'm able to achieve a very comfortable and mostly flat lay.
    I was frankly surprised that I sleep so well, and I absolutely love the removable screen/cover on it. I'd misplace things if not attached. Very convenient.
    Even for as wide as I am, I don't get the impression that I'm being squeezed in.
    I love sleeping in the thing because of it's even support.
    I'm able to stretch out and not feel confined. I look forward to sleeping now while out in the woods.
    People talk about the quality and fit & finish of the final product. 'Refined' is another word to use.
    Well worth the money IMO.
    If there are any largish other guys reading this, consider the Dream Hammock.
    I'm glad I did.

Regards

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    The Smurfs do indeed do wonderful work. What's your order#?
    Even though I have my very own, I still enjoy looking over their recent builds and always like being able to associate an image with a hammock someone is talking about.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 7/8
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I ordered the same.... Should have in hand in about two weeks. 2311

I'm about 280..... What fabrics did you go with.... Double layer?

I ordered a 2.7 outer and 1.9 inner.... 450 lb rating.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Thank you very much. Glad it's working well for you.
    This one was order #1857 here.
    1857.JPG

Hammock
    Dream Hammock TB
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie to CL
    Subawoo's assessment of the thunderbird was spot on and well put. I don't want to step on any toes or hijack your post her Sub. If I could simply echo your thoughts to assure others that the Dream hammock is a quality product. It is up to the challenges those of us that have been blessed with more generous portions may present to a hammock.

I too purchased an 11' x 72" Thunderbird (#2001 if interested). I am 6'1" and about 370 pounds. Slept in it 4 nights in the BWCA so far and can attest to the stoutness of the DH TB. The craftsmanship is exceptional and Randy is extremely helpful throughout the process.

Thanks or sharing your thoughts Subawoo!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    AHH finally some BIG BOYS!! Glad to see others here. Thank's for the post.

I'm always interested in seeing others gear, but frequently scoff at the weight weenie micros. Must be nice!

I have a Nomads Land XXL hammock at home that is 72'' wide and I love the extra width. I have been weighing several possible purchases from vendors including Dutch, BIAS and DH. I really like your setup, but when I look at cost I really start to pick apart the purchase to a want vs need aspect. The want is STRONG and is hard to fight. I need a DL wide body hammock so I have the ability to use a pad (dont have the need for a quilt).
    The WANT says get the grand setup like yours with all the bells and whistles.

I have floated back and fourth from making my own and purchasing. I wish Dutch had some 72'' offerings.

Alas the "struggle is real" as my daughter would say. I have spent way too much time contemplating purchases and different offerings from what seems to be and endless supply of really talented makers. The ADD doesn't help any either.

Your rig looks awesome. Would love to see some pics.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I have floated back and fourth from making my own and purchasing. I wish Dutch had some 72'' offerings.
    If you would like to build one yourself, look no further than ripstopbytheroll.com for 72" wide fabrics.

We also build a netless model called the FreeBird that you may want to look at. Compare carefully the features that come standard on the FreeBird and the things that must be purchased separately on other hammocks.

Hammock
    DHThunderbird 72
    Tarp
    Green Monster
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Finding things for us bigger folk can be a pain in the rear...
    When I was in the process of looking for and purchasing a hammock, cost was a 'big' consideration. (See what I did?!?)
    But. For me, the cost of my sleep is an even larger consideration.
    I sleep terribly on the ground, and though I've used multiple foam sleeping mats (no, I wont try another self inflating one because I'll burst it.)
    Throughout the night, I am near constantly tossing and turning trying to relieve the pressure points.
    I had the opportunity to sleep in it using both a foam pad sandwiched between the layers and without.
    Great stuff either way.
    Usually, I'm either the first or one of the first people awake at camp because I can't wait to get up and away from the ground.
    Not so in this hammock.
    As big boys, we know that shopping 'off the rack' as it were that things aren't available to us, or that we must pay a premium for whatever
    it is we want to buy clothing-wise.
    This is life.
    For me, I must consider this as a long-term investment that I will have many, many happy outings in, and thus the cost per use goes down with each use.
    Don't sweat the lead-time either.
    Randy and his Smurfs are craftspeople.

In the end, the wait was well worth it for me.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Thanks guys. I'll have a look at DH one more time.

You are correct Subawoo,"normal" things don't usually fit... It all my muscles that get in the way:-). Must be the reason I don't shop at old navy or target, they don't carry REAL MAN sized clothes. Haha. He'll you couldn't catch me in old navy stuff anyway.

I camp enough and hang enough at home to get plenty of use out of whatever I buy. It's just hard to pull the trigger sight unseen. Wish we had a group hand around d here. That would be cool, then I could check out some others gear.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll have a look at DH one more time.

You are correct Subawoo,"normal" things don't usually fit... It all my muscles that get in the way:-). Must be the reason I don't shop at old navy or target, they don't carry REAL MAN sized clothes. Haha. He'll you couldn't catch me in old navy stuff anyway.

I camp enough and hang enough at home to get plenty of use out of whatever I buy. It's just hard to pull the trigger sight unseen. Wish we had a group hand around d here. That would be cool, then I could check out some others gear.
    I know its hard to pull the trigger sight unseen, but Dream Hammocks website is fantastic for being able to look at all the other orders and combos that can be done. You would not be disappointed with anything you choose from them!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast