Hammock
    Experimental Hammocks

Adding an Iron on/Sew on patch to stuff sack.

Couple things to set up my question.

Stuff Sack material: Xenon Sil 1.1
    Patch in Question: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1815443...home_active_12 (Except mine is Black and red)

I would like to add this to the outside of my stuff sack as some personal flair since I like chameleons and it matches the color scheme of my hammock and stuff sack.

My question is has anybody done something like this? My first thought was that I have to hand sew this on by hand (Which shouldnt be a problem) but then I got to thinking I wonder if you actually could iron this on!

The directions say to use the highest heat on my iron. Will this burn the Xenon Sil? Make it unusable?

Is hand sewing the best idea?

Thanks

I wouldn't get an iron anywhere near such a fabric. I do a lot of iron-on patches with my daughters for the Y-Guides program (on leather vests), and since the iron-on glue doesn't hold well, I wind up hot glue gunning most of them on which holds really well. I'd either try that, or just using a thread injector with a zig-zag stitch.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I cannot give a definitive answer on whether this would damage Dutch's particular fabric, but I would be very hesitant to iron any type of fabric that is coated, "impregnated" or dipped in silicon. I realize the existence of silicon pot holders, mats, cutting boards, etc... but you're looking at an extremely lightweight layer or coating in the material.
    Again, I haven't attempted and maybe others can chime in better, but if you wanted this to remain completely waterproof, I'd worry the heat could cause issues in that particular spot. Since you're talking about a stuff sack, if it isn't designed to be completely waterproof and just has a drawstring closure, maybe it wouldn't hurt.
    If you have a scrap of material, you could always test heat application.

Hammock
    Experimental Hammocks
    Thanks. Yeah hopefully I have some extra material left over after I measure out my dimensions where I can try both iron-on, super glue and hand stitching with some other patches and see how the turn out.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think the best results will come from sewing it on, but if you don't want to do that, look for a product called Liquid Stich from Prym Consumers. I used it to apply a club patch to my down vest. It's held up very well. Do try it on a scrap fist if possible, as it may not work as well on your fabric. You shod be able to find it at most fabric or craft stores.

• + New Posts