Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Hudson River Quilt?

I'm about to take the plunge on my very first over quilt. I think that the JRB Hudson river is the best option for me, for 3 season use. I think with warm clothing I could take this down to the low 20's. I am 6 foot 220 lbs with an average build frame. I plan to use this quilt for my hammock and all purpose sleep system. If I have to go to the ground will this quilt be wide enough with a inflatable pad like the neo air? Going to the ground is not by choice, but the JMT has many sections above the tree line.
    Thank you
    Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    IMO, the NeoAir will not be enough bottom insulation in the low 20's. You could add a CCF pad under it and be fine. The HR TQ will probably be fine at the those temps.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    I'm about to take the plunge on my very first over quilt. I think that the JRB Hudson river is the best option for me, for 3 season use. I think with warm clothing I could take this down to the low 20's. I am 6 foot 220 lbs with an average build frame. I plan to use this quilt for my hammock and all purpose sleep system. If I have to go to the ground will this quilt be wide enough with a inflatable pad like the neo air? Going to the ground is not by choice, but the JMT has many sections above the tree line.
    Thank you
    Russ
    Hudson River long will suit you fine in a hammock...

On the ground, at 220 you will most likely have some tuck issues...

Recommend you look at the JRB Sierra Sniveller Long at 52 inches wide shoulder thru the hips and tapering to 42 it will still excell in a hammock and do much better for your girth on the ground above tree line.... plus more multifunctional.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I would say, as someone who's used the HR on the ground and is about 50-60 lbs short of 220, get a larger quilt if this is one of your intended uses. I had some difficulty tucking the quilt.

The NeoAir and a foam pad works great in the Blackbird. I felt very stable despite the narrowness of the Neo.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Would the JRB Sierra Sniveller work as well as an underquilt, with its tapered end? Lets say on the WBBB hammock or the JRB Bridge hammock?
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    Would the JRB Sierra Sniveller work as well as an underquilt, with its tapered end? Lets say on the WBBB hammock or the JRB Bridge hammock?
    2 different hammocks...
    IMO, it would work fine with the BMBH...the user lays in the middle of the hammock so it wouldn't make a huge difference. A Jack will no doubt chime in
    On the other hand, with a diagonal lay in the BB, your feet are distinctly to one side of center and 42" might not be enough to cover your feet in the footbox.
    Of course, a reg cut JRB quilt is 48" wide...and works fine for many on the BB. 6" total...3" on one side...probably still enough
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Something I've found with my camping.... when I made my first quilt, I made it for tent camping. I found that I needed it wider than originally had thought due to when you roll or turn over, air gaps happened. When I switched to a hammock, that same quilt made the switch too. I've found that this quilt could be more narrow inside the hammock but I'm not gonna redesign it. I'd rather have the extra width there incase I ever have to go to ground again. So if you're looking for a top quilt that will work for both hammock and ground sleeping, go with something that has a bit extra width to it.

• + New Posts