Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock

Urgent enquiry - about to purchase but...

I am about to buy a Jungle Hammock, the exchange rate is really good at the moment, so I might as well get a real hammock to use for camping, as opposed to my backyard hanger, my only concern/query is this: I used to sleep on my back but recently have found I sleep on my side or even on my back, now I just read on my front and then roll over and go to sleep on my belly, can you do this in a Hammock, I was worrying about the curve in a hammock, would a belly lie break my back, well strain it a little anyway?
    Last edited by iHammock; 10-22-2009 at 15:28. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I don't think most people here find it comfortable to lay on your stomach... I know I don't. There is probably an exception somewhere with some specific hammock, however.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I'm a stomach sleeper in a bed. I'll lay awake for hours on my back but as soon as I roll over, it's lights out almost instantly. But I've found that in a hammock there is no need to be on my stomach to get to sleep. I am totally comfortable on my back or on my side slightly.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    I'm a stomach sleeper in a bed. I'll lay awake for hours on my back but as soon as I roll over, it's lights out almost instantly. But I've found that in a hammock there is no need to be on my stomach to get to sleep. I am totally comfortable on my back or on my side slightly.
    yeah, I logged in to make this same point.

You can sleep on your stomach in a bridge hammock---it's that flat---but placement of the arms is a little problematic.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Everyone is a bit different, but my experience is that in a normal bed (or on the ground), I am a confirmed side sleeper tending toward belly sleeping. In my hammock, I sleep comfortably (and naturally) on my back or tilted just a bit (maybe 30 degrees) toward my favorite side position. I've tried more "tilt", but in the hammock it isn't as comfortable or as necessary as when on the ground.

You may want to experiment with a night (or two or three) in your hammock...or in a borrowed one to determine if you are comfortable in it. I do know some people never get to a point of comfort in a hammock despite doing all the "right" things gear-wise.

So, I find that I'm happy with the normal positions that my hammock offers me and I was surprised to find those comfortable postures were different than I expected.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I generally sleep on my stomach in BED... in my hammock I find that it is really comfortable on my back or side... or, for that matter, a mixture of both (something really only practical in a hammock!)

My hammock is far more comfortable than my bed... and I love my bed!

I own two hammocks, one self made gathered end hammock and a WBBB. I have only slept outside thus far in the gathered end hammock and inside w/ the Warbonnet Black Bird. The Warbonnet is ROOMY and ULTRA comfortable. My simple / small gathered end hammock swaddles me nicely and is, in its own way, equally comfortable but more restrictive.

I believe the Jungle Hammock is a gathered end hammock...

If you have an old STRONG bedsheet perhaps you could put together a quick "test-and-try-it-out" gathered end hammock following some DIY threads on the forum and sleep it in it tonight to see if you like it prior to shelling out the bucks?

I think you'll find it very comfortable... but it is a personal thing.
    I hope this somehow helps

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    One of the members here was toying with a bridge hammock with pleats that looked really cool and gave room for a fetal position and for laying with arms under your head in various positions. Here it is...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=bridge+pleat

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    I remembered that when I sleep in my sleeping bag I tend to sleep on my back just fine so, and I imagine I will be using a sleeping bag in the hammock. I have pulled the trigger, now to see how long it takes to get to good old New Zealand.

• + New Posts