Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Top Quilt vs Sleeping Bag

I'm currently in a Western Mountaineer Ultralight but am frustrated with the lack of space in it. I know the pros and cons of most top quilts but i'm wondering two things.

1) In colder temps, 0-30 degrees, are you going out with your sleeping bag or top quilt?

2) Out of the following options for a new top quilt or sleeping bag, which one do you prefer (overall versatility and especially in cold weather)?

- Katabatic Gear Palisade 30 degrees (great attachment system for sleeping pads) - 18 oz

- Katabatic Gear Sawath 15 degrees - 24 ounces

- Hammock Gear Burrow 20 - 19/20 oz --- read a lot of good things but some not so good

- Western Mountaineer Alpinite (want more room)

I'm torn. I toss and turn at night leaving my exposed to the draft of a top quilt but i've got an underquilt and a sleeping pad. I'm just not sure which to pull the trigger on.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Specifically to your questions:

1) Top quilt.
    2) Go Hammock Gear because of the customization options (I didn't see any such options for Katabatic Gear). If the draft is a concern order one extra wide. With modern soft fabrics and well-designed baffles, a quilt will drape over and even if you roll over drafts won't be that much of a problem. I just ordered a UGQ Renegade longer than necessary (I like to pull my quilt over my head in the extreme cold or even just to block morning light) and extra wide because I'm primarily a side sleeper and sometimes have the back-draft problem you mention.

I hear you on the room issue. The first time I slept in a hammock under a borrowed quilt and could roll onto my side into a semi-fetal position in the woods I knew I was never going back to a pad, sleeping bag, and tent! Until now I've primarily used sleeping bags, opened as top quilts, because I had a solid collection of 40 deg, 20 deg, and 0 deg bags from a lifetime of backpacking. But I am about 40 days into the wait for a new 20 deg Renegade from UGQ and I can't see myself going back to the full sleeping bag route again. I'm sure a 0 deg top quilt will follow soon.

If I read into your question, most of the options you've listed are lightweight options, and for weight, a top quilt wins hands down. Since much of a sleeping bag, when zipped up, is compressed and really not insulating, I consider that wasted weight. With a top quilt in a hammock all the insulation should be uncompressed so all the weight you carry is "worth it." So on that account, the top quilt would win over the sleeping bag, even if the weights were the same.

Both can be very versatile ... I've used my sleeping bags as top quilts for a couple of years with few problems but there are compromises. Conversely, I've watched friends with top quilts go to ground with few issues other than a couple of extra minutes attaching a sleeping pad to their quilts with whatever system the manufacturer provided. Though the Renegade will be my first truly purpose-built topquilt, I've borrowed a Hammock Gear and a UGQ Flight Jacket from friends and found that quilts adapt to sleeping bag use a bit better than most sleeping bags adapt to quilt use. For instance, sleeping bags typically have zippers that either go all the way around the footbox allowing for lay-flat use (good in summer but not in the cold weather) or stop maybe 12" from the bottom creating a full footbox. I like a footbox when it's cold so I leave my full-zip bags partially zipped in quilt mode. I have damaged the teeth on a zipper or two doing this. Better luck with my Sierra Designs bag that has a partial zip which can be fully disengaged while leaving me a footbox. Then, for a winter bag, the whole "what do I do with the hood while in a hammock" issue pops up.

At the end of the day, what I've learned in a couple of years of hanging is that in cold weather, the main concern is the under quilt. If that is thick and warm enough, and fitted snugly around you, then the top quilt matters a bit less. That's why I used bags for a couple of years while I built my under quilt collection. Then, I decided for a dedicated top quilt and the Renegade is my first that I will actually own.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Specifically to your questions:

1) Top quilt.
    2) Go Hammock Gear because of the customization options (I didn't see any such options for Katabatic Gear). If the draft is a concern order one extra wide. With modern soft fabrics and well-designed baffles, a quilt will drape over and even if you roll over drafts won't be that much of a problem. I just ordered a UGQ Renegade longer than necessary (I like to pull my quilt over my head in the extreme cold or even just to block morning light) and extra wide because I'm primarily a side sleeper and sometimes have the back-draft problem you mention.

I hear you on the room issue. The first time I slept in a hammock under a borrowed quilt and could roll onto my side into a semi-fetal position in the woods I knew I was never going back to a pad, sleeping bag, and tent! Until now I've primarily used sleeping bags, opened as top quilts, because I had a solid collection of 40 deg, 20 deg, and 0 deg bags from a lifetime of backpacking. But I am about 40 days into the wait for a new 20 deg Renegade from UGQ and I can't see myself going back to the full sleeping bag route again. I'm sure a 0 deg top quilt will follow soon.

If I read into your question, most of the options you've listed are lightweight options, and for weight, a top quilt wins hands down. Since much of a sleeping bag, when zipped up, is compressed and really not insulating, I consider that wasted weight. With a top quilt in a hammock all the insulation should be uncompressed so all the weight you carry is "worth it." So on that account, the top quilt would win over the sleeping bag, even if the weights were the same.

Both can be very versatile ... I've used my sleeping bags as top quilts for a couple of years with few problems but there are compromises. Conversely, I've watched friends with top quilts go to ground with few issues other than a couple of extra minutes attaching a sleeping pad to their quilts with whatever system the manufacturer provided. Though the Renegade will be my first truly purpose-built topquilt, I've borrowed a Hammock Gear and a UGQ Flight Jacket from friends and found that quilts adapt to sleeping bag use a bit better than most sleeping bags adapt to quilt use. For instance, sleeping bags typically have zippers that either go all the way around the footbox allowing for lay-flat use (good in summer but not in the cold weather) or stop maybe 12" from the bottom creating a full footbox. I like a footbox when it's cold so I leave my full-zip bags partially zipped in quilt mode. I have damaged the teeth on a zipper or two doing this. Better luck with my Sierra Designs bag that has a partial zip which can be fully disengaged while leaving me a footbox. Then, for a winter bag, the whole "what do I do with the hood while in a hammock" issue pops up.

At the end of the day, what I've learned in a couple of years of hanging is that in cold weather, the main concern is the under quilt. If that is thick and warm enough, and fitted snugly around you, then the top quilt matters a bit less. That's why I used bags for a couple of years while I built my under quilt collection. Then, I decided for a dedicated top quilt and the Renegade is my first that I will actually own.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck.
    Thank you for the feedback. Please link me to the Renegade.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. Please link me to the Renegade.
    Done!

You can also see a YouTube review (not by me):
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 09-09-2015 at 16:25.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    0 degree bag is only 20 ounces?

The grenadier 5 is 10 ounces heavier

Does the renegade cinch to the sleeping bag the same way the Katabatic Gear top quilts do?

And have you tested it in very warm weather? 20 ounces seems way too light

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HammockLighter View Post
    0 degree bag is only 20 ounces?

The grenadier 5 is 10 ounces heavier

Does the renegade cinch to the sleeping bag the same way the Katabatic Gear top quilts do?

And have you tested it in very warm weather? 20 ounces seems way too light
    I didn't watch the Renegade video, but the specs for it are on the web page, and it isn't 20 oz. Maybe your reading the weight of the down insulation?

Quote Originally Posted by mychal View Post
    I didn't watch the Renegade video, but the specs for it are on the web page, and it isn't 20 oz. Maybe your reading the weight of the down insulation?
    Correct, that was the fill weight. The Renegade 0 is 29 Ounces (same as my WM Ultralite) and the highly rated Grenadier is 35 ounces.

Does anyone know if it can strap on to a sleeping pad? The Katabatic Gear company has a great rep for their strapping system on the top quilts.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Yes, the description is in the links above.

"PAD ATTACHEMENT

Our*RENEGADE*Top Quilts comes with a removable pad attachment system to secure your quilt the way you prefer to your pad. For hammock users, warm weather use and those that sleep like the dead you can remove the system completely leaving it at home to further reduce weight."

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've got nothing but HG TQ and UQs: 40*, 20* and 0*, and haven't used a sleeping bag in years. I'm not familiar with any of the sleeping bags you listed, but they sound like they're designed for ground sleeping.

Of course, many people prefer their ground sleeping bags when hammock camping (especially when using pads) - I just haven't seen much of it. I've never even heard of Katabatic.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast