Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Backpacker Pains

Hi,
    i have a Backpacker Ultralite Asym Zip in combination with the Super Shelter. It's my first hammock and i have had countless wonderful night s in it over the last two years.
    Anyway, there are two little annoynces:
    1. The bug net hangs into my face. I cannot get it stretched out to the sides enough, especially since i have the Super Shelter installes. The SS Limits the amount of pullout to the sides.
    2. I have the felling that the ridgeline on my hommock is longer than that of other Backpacker species i have seen on the Internet. I am saying this because my sag seems to be less. Also i feel that it is hard to get a real diagonal lay in it.
    As I said these issues are minor ones. I can still have a good sleep in it.

Hence my questions:
    Did you experience the same?
    Are there production variations?
    Is there an easy way to fix these issues?

Thank you,
    Marvin

Images
    Sounds like too much sag. Visit the Hennessy website and view the set-up videos a few times, then practice, practice, practice. Viel Gluck.

Trust me if i tell you that i tried every concievable hang during the last two years.
    As is said: The problem is too little sag. My understanding is that the bigger the sag the easier it is to get a diagonal lay.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Marvin, I'm surprised that you're getting that much sag in the bugnet - I've been hanging for 4 years now in the BPUL and don't find the same issue. I'd guess that it's very possible that you've got an issue with a production unit. My first question is probably the most obvious - have you called Hennessy?

If so, and they haven't helped, there are a couple of other things that I'd be curious about. For instance, does the ridgeline sag when you are laying in the hammock? Or is it tight? I assume that you set it up the way that they show in the video. A second question would be about the pull-outs with the Super Shelter. I have that as well, and I find that I'm not really compromising the pull-outs when I use it. What is the distance between the two pull-outs internally? I can measure mine and compare it to yours.

If the ridgeline is sagging, there is a very simple way to adjust it without compromising the integrity of the hammock, but it would require that you disassemble one end of the gather to do it.

As it is my first Hammock and i don't know anybody over here who is hanging, i wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Also i have to repeat that the issues are not severe. If at all, the sag is minimally smaller than "normal".
    And yes, the ridgeline is tight. I am proficient in setting my hammock up (i am kind of perfectionist and experiment alot).
    Since i am planning to DIY one anyway, i will un-whipp my old BPUL and shorten the ridge line a bit. I will tell you how it goes.
    Thank you for helping!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Maybe you can rig up an internal pole of some sort to lift up your bugnet. Might require a bit of sewing.
    To quickly shorten your ridgeline you can take a carabiner and wrap the ridgeline around it. One wrap will shorten it around an inch. Increase the number of wraps until you get your desired sag. It's a temporary solution but can be left on if you don't mind the carabiner being there.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Maybe you can rig up an internal pole of some sort to lift up your bugnet. Might require a bit of sewing.
    To quickly shorten your ridgeline you can take a carabiner and wrap the ridgeline around it. One wrap will shorten it around an inch. Increase the number of wraps until you get your desired sag. It's a temporary solution but can be left on if you don't mind the carabiner being there.
    Good advice, thanks. I will be hanging tmorrow again and try it out!
    My Buddy and me will be cycling the 200mi from Hamurg to Mount Brocken.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I've never completely eliminated the sag in my Hennessy bugnet, but have learned a couple of tricks. The SuperShelter does make it worse as the undercover seems to limit the tension that the side pull outs can give. One reason I switched to an underquilt most of the time.

If you have the pack/pannier space and weight isn't an issue, finding a wide pad for inside the hammock can spread the fabric a bit and keep the net off your face. I've also used a small clip to gather some of the bugnet and tension it a bit. I get the most consistent results when setting up with the 30 degree angle on my suspension, especially if you intend on using the integrated tarp hooks rather than a seperate ridgeline for the tarp. You might also be able to find a pillow that you can push a bit to the side to add some tension to the fabric/bugnet. I use an inflatable one. Finally, you can always try reversing your lie depending on how you sleep, so your head is either closer or farther away from the zipper. If I have the zipper on my right side, I have fewer bugnet-in-the-face problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

I tried the carabiner trick to shorten the ridgeline. Works like a charm!!! The hammock feels roomier and it is easier to get the diagnoal lay. Also it reduced the bug net sag. Thanks!

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner
    https://youtu.be/OwzZTeAE3yc

have a look at this video buddy. might help

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast