Hammock
    DH Freebird or Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Dang. I was gonna head out to a state park this week, but the dealer replaced my O2 sensor with a faulty one! So the wrangler was out of order... Spent month 46 in my yard on my trusty Hammeck stand. Since the whole point of this exercise is to use our gear in different conditions, I decided to see if my Freebird with an UQP would keep me warm down below 70. Also, it was a good way to check my permethrin soak from the previous week. Temps got down to 67 and my bottom half was fine. A Costco throw was enough for the top half.

It actually was a wonderful night in Columbus, for once. Clear skies and hundreds of fireflies in all the trees around me. The Permethrine soak and a little picariden kept the biters away, as always!
    My lot is sorta like the hundred acre woods. We're just outside of the city, but we have populations of deer, rabbits, foxes, coyotes, owls, bats, sugargliders, etc. Last night I woke up briefly to find a couple of does chomping on some of our hosta. More wildlife here than I usually see in our parks!
    20190629_002224a.jpg
    Hobo
    Off The Ground All Year Round: 47 months since the start, 9/2015 through 07/2019

Hammock Forums Location Speadsheet
    PM me if you need help with the Sheet!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Just completed a goal of mine, based on this thread. Got 2 years solid in of at least one night a month, in the hammock. 80 percent was done on camp trips with about 20 percent being backyard hangs.
    Thank you all for the help and guidance, via this website. I learned so much from reading, watching and then doing.
    I am going to keep going. Its so nice to be out at least once a month, in the woods.
    New goal is to get down to zero degrees in the hammock. Been down to 12 degrees, last November. My work schedule didnt coincide with any colder temps. I've been watching a lot of Shug and Carver winter videos, lining out this goal.
    This thread has been such an inspiration for me also! There were a lot of months I would have just passed if not for this thread. This challenge has had me out in rain, snow, high humidity, temps over 95F and below 10F. I've had it snow inside a winter sock and had 18mph winter winds tear past me with only a hammock, TQ and UQ. I'm glad to see others still trying this!
    Hobo
    Off The Ground All Year Round: 47 months since the start, 9/2015 through 07/2019

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    5 days up the Appalachian Trail from NY to CT. Tested out my DIY Monolite hammock and was very pleased -- think I found my new warm camping hammock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I just spent 6 nights on the upper deck of a houseboat at lake Powell in Southern Utah. Had the unfortunate luck to choose a week with moslty wind. 15-25mph with gusts to 40mph for some of that time.

I slept in my DIY Collapsehedron. Worked great! Used a costco UQ attached sloppily at the ends with shock cord. In the early night I would have it hanging next to the hammock, when it got a little chilly I could reach under and pull the UQ into position. My TQ was a DIY fleece /ripstop job.

I found out that i had to orient the setup perpendicular to the long axis of the boat. If I was parallel it sloshed with the waves and wind and given the small inner confines of the Collapsehedron I would be continuously banging a shoulder or skull against a pole. When I flopped back to perpendicular that basically wend away.
    Worked great!!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur and Trail Lair
    Tarp
    4 SLD's and HG CF
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, EE
    Suspension
    straps - whoopies
    #47 is done after a 4 day trip on the NCT through the Manistee National forest in Michigan (trip report coming soon). 3 nights of hammock bliss along the river, in the pines, and on an awesome overlook above the Manistee.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Closing in on 4 years, with hang 47 at Punderson Lake. Diz and I made a last minute scramble mid week and took what we could find. Hot, humid, mosquitoes, poison Ivy... This was the first hang in four years that my permethrine soaked gear and Picaridin spray may have let me down. Still a nice chance to get away and chat with my old hang bud. Diz brought out his inflatable kayak and and I had a chance to try it out. Not the same as a hard 'yak, but a LOT easier to transport!

20190711_175052adj.jpg20190711_175058adj.jpg
    I laughed pretty good, looking at Diz's neat setup and my disaster!

20190711_182509cropa.jpg20190711_223429fire.jpg.
    Diz paddling out and our campfire that night.

20190712_072415adj.jpg
    Found this bolete at our site...and no, I didn't add that to my dinner! The only 'shrooms I know that well are chantrelles and morels.
    Hobo

Hammock
    Dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    12ft xenon hex
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Might have to get in on this 12 nights a year thing. Makes it easier to hang in the summer months when you can do so inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    OMW/Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20F Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Varied
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.hammockcamper View Post
    Might have to get in on this 12 nights a year thing. Makes it easier to hang in the summer months when you can do so inside
    LOL, it sure would. I'll just briefly point out that the original point of this thread was to hang OUTSIDE each month, the purpose being to test our setups in all weather conditions. Admittedly, a hang in the yard is not much of an adventure, but if your testing out a new quilt down to 0F, it's nice to find out safely. After almost 4 years of doing this, I'm thinking I've got a lot out of this thread's purpose, so I'm not really trying to police it. In all things, HYOH, right?
    Hobo

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur and Trail Lair
    Tarp
    4 SLD's and HG CF
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, EE
    Suspension
    straps - whoopies
    OMG, #48 is done. Can it really be 4 years? This last adventure took me out for 3 days and 2 nights on a double destination solo hike to the Shingle Mill Pathway and my favorite pines at Green Timbers. Great hanging weather and lots of lollygagging to celebrate 55 years on this earth. Good times!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 10.5'
    Tarp
    Anything Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Luci is still in the game!

• + New Posts
  • Page 113 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114 LastLast