DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    5 for 5 now.

This weekend on the Wild Azalea trail. No pics of hammock, I can't remember to do that for some reason.

It was cold last night. 30°F and my 20°F quilts didn't keep me warm like they have in the past. I've slept into the low 20's with this setup. Not sure what was going on. Everyone was cold last night though. We were also right on a creek so maybe the moisture had something to do with it. Oh well I slept good enough.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I had already posted for January but it was not typical Chicago January weather then. Last night was. So I did a quick backyard hang at my parents house. Temp was -6 at lowest (-24 with windchill). I got a little chill around 530 and I think it was because I needed some food in me. I tried the Nalgene in a sock and that was warm all night. I highly recommend that trick.
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I had already posted for January but it was not typical Chicago January weather then. Last night was. So I did a quick backyard hang at my parents house. Temp was -6 at lowest (-24 with windchill).
    Great setup, nice Superfly with pole mod!! The weather up here in Alberta Canada has also been quite unseasonal, anywhere from +2°c down to -30°c the other day, it is usually -30 and below. By Friday it will be around 0°c again. It must be a strange year.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Temp was -6 at lowest (-24 with windchill). I got a little chill around 530 and I think it was because I needed some food in me. I tried the Nalgene in a sock and that was warm all night. I highly recommend that trick.
    Man, that is COLD. I got my second January night in last night at 15F and my quilts that I designed for 20F did keep me warm enough to sleep, but I could tell that I was right at the limit. The next time I'm out in sub-20 weather I'm going to try the Nalgene trick.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Last night was a bit warmer than the weekend. Did the over night nice and toasty. Poncho liner over the RL. Used a tarp since we got the snow they called for. Only down to -3 Fahrenheit. Nice and toasty. It funny how winter quilts seem to take up a lot of space in the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I got in my second hang of 2016 last weekend and my 5th for the 12 Nights Out again at the Gooch Mountain Shelter on the Georgia AT. I met a fellow HF member for a night out on one of the coldest nights of this winter. There was surprisingly several people there given it was a Sunday night and extremely cold for Northern Georgia. Our lows are typically in the upper-20's during winter. The overnight low on Sunday was 14 degrees.

A large group of teenagers came in during the afternoon. They were very well mannered and decided to set a huge tent up on a ridge. Not smart in that type of weather. When I went to get water early Monday morning, the tent and the campers were gone. They must have frozen and left overnight but no one heard them depart.

We also had a thru-hiker with us from Lexington Kentucky. That is the 4th thru-hiker I have camped with in 2016. An early start to the trail.

I made it through the night quite nicely with my JRB Nest 20 degree UQ. I also added a pad inside my hammock per Shug's recommendation just to be safe and also draped a poncho liner over my bug net to help keep out the wind. With my HG 20" burro OQ, I was quite toasty.

hammock.JPG

I battened down the tarp once it got dark.

hammock1.JPG

Not a good picture but watching the sun come up from my hammock on Monday morning. My shoes were completely frozen as was my water bottle.

My poor Lucie light exploded like glass when I tried to collapse her on Monday morning but overall it was a really good time.

Carl

Hammock
    Hammeck, HK2001 custom
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Kevlar
    I was able to get my first hang of 2016 in on Sunday night. The lows were in the 20's but my Incubator 0 and Ghost Pepper 0 kept me toasty warm. I actually had to push the quilt down a little to vent some heat. We ended up getting about 4 inches of snow overnight as well. The winds were blowing in from NNW which unfortunately is the only way I can position my setup in the back yard. I definitely had a little bit of snow blowing in which reinforces the notion that you need to pick your hang spot carefully. I did get up around 2:30 to try and pitch my tarp lower. It certainly helped but not completely

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    DIY (in progress)
    Insulation
    UQ - Incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Always changing
    So I got out over the weekend to keep my streak going. Finally remembered to take a pic I stayed in a shelter at the Leroy Smith Shelter in Pa. First time out in a couple of months with the Boy Scouts. image.jpgimage.jpg

My son wasn't able to with this time. hopefully we can get out next weekend to keep his streak alive too.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I didn't read the rules before I started. I thought I had to start in January. That means I'm done with 2 months since I did a backyard test in December. It only got down to 19F during a backyard test, but the wind was gusting up to 25mph. I learned a lot...about my tarp! I always tied off to logs and buried them in the snow during the winter, but since we didn't have much snow, and the ground was frozen, the logs I tied off to got dragged along the ground every time the wind gusted. I felt like I was sleeping in a noisy Walmart bag because my tarp was so floppy. Someone here on the forum advised me to get 6" nails and drive them into the frozen ground as stakes. Worked like a charm for January!
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast